Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Preface: This is my first tractor. I realize there is quite a bit of leverage on tractor components such as the backhoe and loader.

It was suggested by my sales guy to re-torque the loader arms at about 10 hours. It was more like, "Hey do you have a torque wrench? Yes. Okay, just give the loader arms a snug at around 10 hours." ---The guy didn't bother to mention the amount of torque required. oh boy.

So, I'm just about 10 hours or so and I just looked up the torque spec for the 120R loader in the manual and it looks like it's 491 ft lbs. It's a grade 10.9 bolt that appears to be about 24mm. I think the 15/16" socket I have basically fit on it but seems like it should be metric socket. Not to mention, I don't have a torque wrench the will come close to what is required.

Is that correct?

D120 Loader Specifications on 1023E and 1026R Tractors [I realize my machine is the 2025r but it's identical to what's in this online manual].
OMPXX10184

Thanks.
Don

·
Registered
21,574 Posts
I can’t answer your specific question but glad to see you are doing this. Just about all the hardware on these tractors should be checked after the first 10 hours or so including the wheel bolts.

We have seen some examples where the loader masts have come loose on people who didn’t re torque stuff.

·
Premium Member
11,045 Posts
That doesnt sound right. The D120 manual I looked at has the following:

Tighten the mounting frame and mast hardware (A), on both sides, to specification.

Mounting Frame and Mast Hardware (A)Torque310 N·m (230 lb·ft)

·
Premium Member
11,045 Posts
So, I'm just about 10 hours or so and I just looked up the torque spec for the d120 loader in the manual and it looks like it's 491 ft lbs. It's a grade 10.9 bolt that appears to be about 24mm. I think the 15/16" socket I have basically fit on it but seems like it should be metric socket. Not to mention, I don't have a torque wrench the will come close to what is required.

Is that correct?

Thanks.
Don
Keep in mind, bolts are sized by the shank size, not the size of the hex head.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That doesnt sound right. The D120 manual I looked at has the following:

Tighten the mounting frame and mast hardware (A), on both sides, to specification.

Mounting Frame and Mast Hardware (A)Torque310 N·m (230 lb·ft)
jgayman,

Thanks for the info. I pulled the bolt size from the head of the bolt 10.9 and then referenced the manual to that, so I'm assuming that's the grade of the bolt and thus the required torque. I will try to locate the info you provided.

Thank you again.

·
Premium Member
11,045 Posts
jgayman,

Thanks for the info. I pulled the bolt size from the head of the bolt 10.9 and then referenced the manual to that, so I'm assuming that's the grade of the bolt and thus the required torque. I will try to locate the info you provided.

Thank you again.
It's always best to use the torque specs as listed in the specific operator's manual for a specific fastener - if listed. I only go to the bolt chart as a last resort if no other info is given. And even then you have to be careful. In some cases, the specs have you tightening a bolt way less than what the bolt is rated for. In this case, you also have to consider the threads in the frame of the tractor as that is what the bolt is threaded into - not a matching hardness nut.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's always best to use the torque specs as listed in the specific operator's manual for a specific fastener - if listed. I only go to the bolt chart as a last resort if no other info is given. And even then you have to be careful. In some cases, the specs have you tightening a bolt way less than what the bolt is rated for. In this case, you also have to consider the threads in the frame of the tractor as that is what the bolt is threaded into - not a matching hardness nut.
jgayman,

I actually found the info I was looking for, specifically for the 120r loader using John Deere's online manual since I can't seem to locate it in my specific manual included with the tractor. It does reference a couple of different locations but it seems all of the info is there.

Thank you again for the direction.

·
Administrator
17,327 Posts
The D120 has been discontinued and was never for the 2025R, you should have the H120 or 120R loader?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The D120 has been discontinued and was never for the 2025R, you should have the H120 or 120R loader?
Kenny,

Correct sir, I misspoke when I started the thread. It's definitely the 120R loader for the gen2 - 2025r. The spec I was looking for is 223 lb-ft. It just took me a few to find it.

Tighten Mounting Frame Hardware
W22472
W22472-UN-03MAY12

W22472.gif

A - Mounting Frame Hardware

Tighten the mounting frame hardware (A) on both sides to specifications.
Hardware Torque 303 N·m (223 lb·ft)

I appreciate your help.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,045 Posts
As discussed above, you have to be careful with these generic charts. They are for the bolt, not the material it is being threaded into or compressing. According to the chart below the torque for a M16 10.9 bolt is 200 ft-lb (lubricated) and 255 ft-lb (dry). But the 120R loader manual is instructing you to torque to 223 ft-lb.

And even at that, these charts can be very misleading and confusing. The generic bolt chart shown in the 120R loader manual lists the torque for a M16, 10.9 "flange head" bolt as only 162 ft-lb.

It's hard to know what to believe.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As discussed above, you have to be careful with these generic charts. They are for the bolt, not the material it is being threaded into or compressing. According to the chart below the torque for a M16 10.9 bolt is 200 ft-lb (lubricated) and 255 ft-lb (dry). But the 120R loader manual is instructing you to torque to 223 ft-lb.

And even at that, these charts can be very misleading and confusing. The generic bolt chart shown in the 120R loader manual lists the torque for a M16, 10.9 "flange head" bolt as only 162 ft-lb.

It's hard to know what to believe.

....this ^^.

Unfortunately, these charts in the manual are supplied with the tractor so I'm not sure what to believe. I going with the online information provided at 223 ft-lb since it specifically states the torque spec for those bolts. However, if I look on the bolt head it gives a grade of 10.9 and then reference that in the back of the book it looks like it should be 490+ ft-lb.

I appreciate all of the help.

·
Premium Member
11,045 Posts
....this ^^.

Unfortunately, these charts in the manual are supplied with the tractor so I'm not sure what to believe. I going with the online information provided at 223 ft-lb since it specifically states the torque spec for those bolts. However, if I look on the bolt head it gives a grade of 10.9 and then reference that in the back of the book it looks like it should be 490+ ft-lb.

I appreciate all of the help.
I'm pretty sure the discrepancy between 223 ft-lb and 490 ft-lb was using the 23mm size of the hex head instead of the 16mm size of the bolt shank. Bolts are ALWAYS measured by the shank, not the head.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm pretty sure the discrepancy between 223 ft-lb and 490 ft-lb was using the 23mm size of the hex head instead of the 16mm size of the bolt shank. Bolts are ALWAYS measured by the shank, not the head.
jgayman,

Thanks for sticking with me. I do appreciate it.

Don

1 - 14 of 14 Posts