Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally had three consecutive days of dry weather forecasted so I decided to make a run for cutting our small hay field. Started Sunday late morning cutting with a Farmall Cub and sickle. My son raked it Monday with the 2025R and old NH rollabar rake while I was at work. Tuesday afternoon we went out to rake again and bale before the forecasted rain started after dark. The battery was dead in the 2025R so the raking was done with Ford 8N. Finished raking and hooked the old NH baler back up to 8N and knocked out 150 squares. My wife, son and help from a couple neighbors got them all into the barn right at dark. Of course it didn’t rain then until about 4pm on Wednesday. Anyway- the old iron got it done. The new stuff, well not so much. Put in a new battery today and started right up. The old Cub doesn’t even have a battery, hand crank! Looking forward to a good second cut a little later this summer.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Is your bailer pto powered or has its own power?

Dad always raked with the 8n and stillswears thats all its good for.

His bailer was huge ( and red..forget the brand) and pto powered off His 2040.

Massive flywheel and you had to have lots of shear bolts with you.

Head high grass ...fields on both sides of the river for about a mile

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Baler is PTO powered. The little Ford did fine with it. That’s probably the hardest that tractor has worked in decades! I wouldn’t want to do more than a couple acres at a time with it.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
:good2: Nice we’re still waiting to do our first cutting. Just can’t get a long enough dry window to do it.

·
Registered
12,283 Posts
Is your bailer pto powered or has its own power?

Dad always raked with the 8n and stillswears thats all its good for.

His bailer was huge ( and red..forget the brand) and pto powered off His 2040.

Massive flywheel and you had to have lots of shear bolts with you.

Head high grass ...fields on both sides of the river for about a mile
Yes you do :laugh:

·
Registered
765 Posts
Finally had three consecutive days of dry weather forecasted so I decided to make a run for cutting our small hay field. Started Sunday late morning cutting with a Farmall Cub and sickle. My son raked it Monday with the 2025R and old NH rollabar rake while I was at work. Tuesday afternoon we went out to rake again and bale before the forecasted rain started after dark. The battery was dead in the 2025R so the raking was done with Ford 8N. Finished raking and hooked the old NH baler back up to 8N and knocked out 150 squares. My wife, son and help from a couple neighbors got them all into the barn right at dark. Of course it didn’t rain then until about 4pm on Wednesday. Anyway- the old iron got it done. The new stuff, well not so much. Put in a new battery today and started right up. The old Cub doesn’t even have a battery, hand crank! Looking forward to a good second cut a little later this summer.
we got a good few days comming per weatherman starting tommorow.....so got hooked up and ready to go...see if we can get 4-5 acres of brome ..square bale horse hay up....:greentractorride:......can i borrow your neighbors :laugh:

did it as a hobby for years with small ancient equipment (not so much so now) .....these days im to old for that....i admire your old iron tenacity

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
we got a good few days comming per weatherman starting tommorow.....so got hooked up and ready to go...see if we can get 4-5 acres of brome ..square bale horse hay up....:greentractorride:......can i borrow your neighbors :laugh:

did it as a hobby for years with small ancient equipment (not so much so now) .....these days im to old for that....i admire your old iron tenacity
The neighbors work for beer and show up when it’s at least 50% complete:bigbeer::lol:
Old Iron makes you realize how easy we have most things today. And to think that back in the 40’s and 50’s when it was “new iron” they probably thought how easy they had it compared to horses and manual labor. There had to be a lot of tough guys back in those days.

·
Registered
765 Posts
The neighbors work for beer and show up when it’s at least 50% complete:bigbeer::lol:
Old Iron makes you realize how easy we have most things today. And to think that back in the 40’s and 50’s when it was “new iron” they probably thought how easy they had it compared to horses and manual labor. There had to be a lot of tough guys back in those days.
i am lucky ...i was using 60s stuff LOL....old haybine and baler (24t) .........had a neighbor pass and had a estate sale with a lot of very nice shinny green stuff so i picked up a late model moco ...and a 70s era baler (336)(not so shinny) ....lol......i will say this ....i cant imagine ever going back to a sickle style mower the cutting tech is lightyears and $ forward of what it used to be....i cant imagine cutting the grass we have this year old style....pic is pre-cut brome/timothy :)

next time you do hay you should post some pictures......its fun to reminisce....fwiw my first hay cutting exp 50yrs ago was with a B allis chalmers with a 6' belly sickle mower that took half a day to hook up (40s tech)

Attachments

·
Registered
12,283 Posts
I’ve done a lot of things with my 2025R, never raked with, might have to give that a try.
Only thing it’s used for in our hay operation is picking up round bales, putting them on the trailer and stacking them in the shed.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
next time you do hay you should post some pictures......its fun to reminisce....fwiw my first hay cutting exp 50yrs ago was with a B allis chalmers with a 6' belly sickle mower that took half a day to hook up (40s tech)
I’ll see if there any pics and post them up. The sickle stays on the Cub all the time once I finally sourced all the pieces to get it hooked up and operational. With all the rain we’ve had this year the grass was really thick, gave the old girl a workout.

·
Registered
12,283 Posts

·
Registered
12,283 Posts

I believe we had every tractor in use today, not bad.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
the cub mowing picture is great....reminds me of my youth....thanks ....:bigthumb:
Loved it too! I never cut hay with one, but my Grandpa did. His Cub is sitting in my yard. Hasn't run in 34 years. :(

Sent by Tapatalk using the tiny keyboard on my phone. That explains the typos!

·
Registered
12,283 Posts
Loved it too! I never cut hay with one, but my Grandpa did. His Cub is sitting in my yard. Hasn't run in 34 years. :(

Sent by Tapatalk using the tiny keyboard on my phone. That explains the typos!
I think you should change that. :thumbup1gif:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts