Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 1196 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of things about corona virus in the news and more will come as this explodes over the next week. Bottom line this is nasty, they are still trying to learn about it, it seems most likely transmitted in droplets of mucus etc from a sneeze, salIva, etc.

Though thing is incubation period. This is a long one they are assuming 14 days before major symptom onset. They think it could be readily contagious for 9 of those days, but are still working to confirm the viruses lifecycle timeline. This long incubation and potentially infectious period before major symptoms makes containment virtually impossible.

Take the person in California confirmed last night. They say no problem we have not confirmed any spread. Look at how many people came close to this person on the plane, did they go to a movie or concert last week. By the time spread is confirmed it is already the cat that got out of the bag.

Remember take precautions early. Wearing gloves and and masks in public is only illegal in some cities. ? ?

Here is the official CDC site. Remeber they will always be behind the ball on this so this information will be old. It is the nature of quagmire organizations become.
Novel Coronavirus 2019, Wuhan, China | CDC

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This could have a big impact on the primaries. If this blows up in the US it will be hot and heavy right around Super Tuesday.

·
Premium Member
7,576 Posts
I did not know it could be illegal to wear a mask in public, but it could be a criminal's friend. :devilish:

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
I watched a youtube video this morning that included several video reports from Chinese citizens.
Estimates are that it has infected 90k already and hospitals are completely overwhelmed.
Horrifying...

·
Registered
589 Posts
Zebra5, Google "wearing a mask in public" and you'll be surprised...I was! Most are along the lines of, "wearing any mask, hood or device whereby the person, face or voice is disguised so as to conceal the identity of the wearer, " but depending on the mood of an arresting officer, this may have several interpretations! Bob

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
China's health minister, Ma Xiaowei, told reporters Sunday that the virus is infectious during its incubation period, meaning that a person could spread it to others before experiencing symptoms. That's a significant difference from the SARS (severe acute respiratory syndrome) coronavirus.

Response to 2nd person positive from China in CA. The L.A. case "poses no immediate threat to the general public," Ferrer said in a news conference Sunday afternoon. "No specific precautions are required, and people should not be excluded from any activities based on their race, their country of origin or recent travels if they do not have symptoms of respiratory illness."

Thus is because the US is still under the assumption only people showing symptoms are contagious. Something China was working with as an assumption when this started. Being able to spread ahead of symptoms is a game changer from SARS and other Corona viruses. If it bears out it means it it already out of control in the US and other countries we just will not know for two weeks.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
:rolleyes: Just like with Bird Flu, SARS, MERS, and even Ebola, the tendency to overreact is the biggest (and most likely) danger that the US faces from nCoV.

Just for perspective...influenza kills somewhere between 25,000 and 50,000 people in the US every year. That is an infinitely greater threat to your health and well-being than this strain of coronavirus will ever be. The worst viral epidemic in Asia recently was SARS. There were about 8000 cases worldwide and about 800 deaths. The same hysteria (minus the impact of the internet) was rampant in the US. In the US, there were 8 cases of SARS. That year IIRC, 18,000 people died in the US from influenza.

Parenthetically, I’d note that many posters here are very ready to dismiss news reporting from the liberal media regarding President Trump as “fake news”. Relative to the threat that nCoV poses in the US....I would suggest that that same concept holds true. The news media isn’t nearly as invested in telling you the truth as they are getting you to read more of their news. The more upset and worried they can make you, the more likely you are to keep tuning in.

·
Premium Member
907 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They locked down transport in and out of one of the cities we have a plant in 15.6M people on the coast South of Beijing. They also sealed the land borders to a North Korea and Mongolia.

In a week will know who is correct on transmission the US CDC or the Chinese CDC. Hopefully the Chinese are wrong. If impact goes much past Monday in China in about 5 weeks you will see many US factories begin to shut down.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
With more information coming in more comparisons between the flu and Novell CoronaVirus can be made. The flu kills on average 14.3 people per 100,000 While the CoronaVirus by the same measure will kill 2,600 per 100,000. So instead of 30,000 a year who die with the flu it could be Millions with this new virus. Still much better than MERS that was not as contagious but had a kill rate of over 40%.

Hopefully containment will work and the Chinese are very wrong about how contagious it is.

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
Australia has placed the China Olympic Women's Soccer team in quarantine in a Hotel as soon as they arrived in Australia and apparently, they are holding them until after the first week of February. The Olympic officials claim all of the soccer team and support staff, including team doctors, were "symptom free" and tested "fine", but Australia isn't taking any chances and I don't blame them. It sounds like the reason the qualifying tournaments were recently moved to Australia is because of the virus in China.

I don't follow this closely as I don't travel much any more and certainly not to China. My next door neighbor spends 3 weeks a month in China, but he hasn't been there since before Christmas and now won't be returning for several weeks due to this and other issues. He is spending more time in Vietnam and other nations now as he said much of the work which originally took him to China 15 years ago, has since changed and China's low cost labor advantage is eroding in favor of other developing nations, including Vietnam. He would be my closest known "contact" to China and fortunately, he is keeping his distance from China now as well.............

My doctor friends for years have been talking about how resistant to treatment many viruses have become as they "evolve". This time of year, our local hospital is always full with flu being a leading cause. Personally, I find the best way to stay healthy is to stay away from people as much as possible.......which is easier when you work from home.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
My doctor friends for years have been talking about how resistant to treatment many viruses have become as they "evolve". This time of year, our local hospital is always full with flu being a leading cause. Personally, I find the best way to stay healthy is to stay away from people as much as possible.......which is easier when you work from home.
Always a good plan. This is dangerous time of year from a virus standpoint. I always get a flu shot, highly recommend it.

Viruses are all resistant to treatment. In fact, there is no treatment....there's been no change in that.

·
Super Moderator
4,956 Posts
The WHO appears to be wanting to put a cramp in my Saturday night plans.
virus.jpg

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
We all had the flu shot again this year. Normally I am fine but this last weekend the entire house was sick with the flu as it moved through our house.

Pretty sure it was run of the mill flu though not covered by whatever strains were part of the vaccine this year.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
My plan for the Corona virus....

A coworker sent me something the other day. What disease goes hand in hand with Corona Virus. Lyme's Disease of course.

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
I'm still amazed that China says they can erect a 1,300 bed hospital in 5-6 days ?? Well, China did kill off more than half of the pig population (1.5 million) last year, so who knows how well this will go. Densely populated areas of the world fold like dominoes all to often.

1 - 20 of 1196 Posts