Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I AM reading the entire manual and looking up things I don't understand; looking here or generally on the web. So I'm sure there will be more questions.

From Operators manual:
"To prevent overheating hydraulic oil and damaging machine, do not raise rockshaft when rate-of-drop valve is closed "
Why is this?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Another one:
(and I'm only on chapter 7 :))
Continuous Flow Switch - using for long time can cause overheating...
Why is this? And when would you use this?
More generally, why do these overheat conditions occur? Is there some design aspect that doesn't allow the hydraulic oil to be cooled properly?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
You’ll probably never close the rock shaft valve. Or I can’t think of any reason why you would. you just adjust it to get the rate of drop you want your implements to have. If you close it then it would be like a water shutoff valve that has a water pump running to it. It would constantly be in relief mode. Like holding your foot to the floor of the hydrostatic in a situation where the wheels are unable to spin. In high range. It will take or for a little while but not designed to run that way long.

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
You’ll probably never close the rock shaft valve. Or I can’t think of any reason why you would. you just adjust it to get the rate of drop you want your implements to have. If you close it then it would be like a water shutoff valve that has a water pump running to it. It would constantly be in relief mode. Like holding your foot to the floor of the hydrostatic in a situation where the wheels are unable to spin. In high range. It will take or for a little while but not designed to run that way long.
Closing the valve is quite handy for keeping an implement raised up for one purpose or another.

Reactions: wildbranch2007

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Closing the valve is quite handy for keeping an implement raised up for one purpose or another.
I can see that if your 3pt leaked down very much. Or if you were working underneath a 3pt implement. I’d say the 3pt on my 2025R only leaks down about an inch a week with the box blade raised up. I don’t usually leave anything in the air but I have before and forgotten and it stays up much better than the bucket

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
In both cases you are making the hydraulic pump work but the fluid has no where to go, so it’s kind of hard on things.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wvdeere,
To clarify, if the positive displacement hydraulic pump deadheads to the relief valve, this can cause overheating? (rockshaft valve)
If that were correct, then how is it that continuous flow causes overheating too? Is this like an manual relief operation?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Wvdeere,
To clarify, if the positive displacement hydraulic pump deadheads to the relief valve, this can cause overheating? (rockshaft valve)
If that were correct, then how is it that continuous flow causes overheating too? Is this like an manual relief operation?
That’s how I understand it but I’m not an expert. As far as continuous flow also I’m not a mechanic but I would guess just from the pump constantly running without relief. I’d say 99% of things you would use it for would not be a problem. It’s just not made to run any kind of continuous hydraulic motor for instance. Hopefully someone with a greater working knowledge will chime in. I’ve never ran into an issue using my machine or any of our ag tractors as they were intended to be used. Abuse or neglect is usually the cause of failure in these machines. They generally work and are very good at their jobs consistently with little intervention other than routine maintenance.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I knew there would be more questions.
In the maintenance schedule, at 600 hours it says to drain water from fuel tank. This reads like water is expected in the fuel tank. Did I miss something?

Some of the attachments say to put the tires at their widest. How do you do that? I have not read anything on that except aftermarket wheel spacers. I don't get the impression the manual means that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts