Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I'm upgrading my 180 ci gas engine with a 4219 diesel in a JD 2020. Everything is going together great until I got got to the flywheel housing. The gas engine housing doesn't fit. By that I mean the Tach drive isnt right. Now the guys at my JD dealer say "I dont know". These are the same nit wits that told me the 4219 will fit with no issues, which was the reason I bought the engine.

So, will the R63434 flywheel cover fit in this application? Or is there any other option at this point?

It's a damn shame JD can't print a compatibility book to tell us what parts will fit different tractors.

Thanks in advance !!

·
Registered
12,650 Posts
welcome form south western pa. :wgtt:

i can't help u on ur problem-sorry! but in a little bit some of the other guy's will be along to help u figure this out-ok. good luck.

Reactions: ky_shawn

·
Super Moderator
5,632 Posts
Hello and:gtfam:
I moved your thread to the appropriate forum.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
MDhayfarmer
Welcome to GTT.
Although I'm not aware of a compatibility book one can utilize the "where used search" & parts descriptions on JDparts .com to determine component compatibility. From my viewing 2020 parts catalog and remembering to do as I was taught years back when I was employed by a JD dealer which was "to read part descriptions & footnotes" I will state that YES flywheel housing with part number R63434 should fit your 2020 with a 4219 engine. 2nd photo show same part number for flywheel housing for 2030 that came from factory with a 4219 engine.

May I ask the block casting number of your 4219 engine? Was this 4219 engine previously utilized in a power unit application??
HTH's,Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
971 Posts
Is there any chance you could post a picture of the fit problem? From what I can see, there is no difference listed for gas or diesel. The part number has changed but the R63434 should fit your 219 or the original gas engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The issue was the tach drive gear on the back of the cam wont fit through the housing. The hole in the housing starts out about a 1/2 inch hole then gets smaller about half way through. The drive gear is to long, which makes the housing not seat to the engine. And yes the housings are the same, I have the 25117 off the old gas engine and the R63434 are identical. The only difference between the two are the R63434 (diesel) is a little beefier around the starter.

The tach drive is, I'm assuming, pressed into the cam. Although one person told me it could be threaded. I found out today there are several different tach drives T20071, R81514 has 12 teeth, and R81513. I'm not sure how to get it out without pulling the cam and sending it out. Which I really don't want to do.

I'm considering putting the housing in a drill press and drilling just enough to accommodate the tach drive gear.

·
Registered
971 Posts
The only problem I can see with leaving the gear in would be your tach will not work. Not sure what your engine came out of, but guessing maybe a 2510. They used the gear like you have. Originally, the gear/tach driveshaft was pressed in. If the cam has been replaced in the past 30 years, it wold have a threaded in gear. I have welded a bolt or length of all-thread to the end of the gear to use as a puller to remove it. Be sure to attach grounding electrode to the gear if you try that so there is no arcing through the bearing surfaces of the cam. Once to bolt is welded on, slip a piece of pipe over the spacer, slide a washer over the bolt, then thread a nut down the bolt to remove the gear.

Another thought, if you drill the hole out all the way through, you might have difficulty sealing oil from coming out your tach drive cable hole. The little shouldered plastic bushing (T31437) at the end of the cable needs a flat surface to seal against.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts