Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2021 John Deere, 2032R, 220R, 72D MMM
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question, I knew about the RIO safety switch shutting off the mower deck on the riding tractors, but my new 2032R is getting the engine killed by it, as full throttle, if I forget to activate the button. My dealer says that is normal, and told me they are designed that way. None of the smaller lawnmowers I had killed the engines through the RIO safety. This tractor seems like it is having a heavy load hitting the drive trane and stalling the engine when the RIO activation process starts to shutdown the PTO mower deck. Also, note, this tractor was not assembled correctly at the factory on the pto selector and the computer sensors and programs were not installed correctly either. I just got it back from the dealership for the warranty repairs, that they said they have completed. They are claiming that it's a normally setup tractor now. Anyone with information about this situation or had similar problems, please let me know. Thank you. Have a good 4th of July.

·
Super Moderator
6,925 Posts
Killing the engine is normal function.

·
Registered
247 Posts
So, your tractor stalls the engine when you move the reverse pedal, without the RIO switch action. Not just disengagement of the mower deck.
Yes, it did. Honestly one of the first things I did was disable it. I like safety features, but that one is rediculous. It is more of a hazard, especially if cutting on a hillside.

Reactions: Charlie 820/2032R

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, your tractor stalls the engine when you move the reverse pedal, without the RIO switch action. Not just disengagement of the mower deck.
And thank you Bill2 for your help and reply. I bought this tractor over two weeks ago and it's been at the dealership for the warranty repairs for two weeks. I'm not feeling the love for my new green tractor, as I have for my 1972 JD820...I'm a bit leary of trusting this new tractor. Do you or anyone else know if the warranty will be affected if the RIO program is disabled?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, it did. Honestly one of the first things I did was disable it. I like safety features, but that one is rediculous. It is more of a hazard, especially if cutting on a hillside.
The hillside was my first concern too. I've got hills and it seems like a safety hazard that would possibly cause an accident if I had to quickly revise the tractor to regain stability, or the feeling of safety.

·
Registered
247 Posts
It shouldn't void the warranty since you aren't physically changing anything, just doing it through the ECU.

You will love your tractor it is a little beast. I think it is a solid built tractor.

·
Registered
27,553 Posts
Do you or anyone else know if the warranty will be affected if the RIO program is disabled?
I have done some computer mods on my truck. Whenever I take it in for a warranty service I just reenable how it was from the factory.

That’s what I would do if I had the RIO thing.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Definitely do the RIO disable mod. Makes using the mower so much easier. I have flat land to mow, but still a welcome change as it reduces the distraction while mowing. I fail to see how making the operator pay attention to pushing a button and taking a hand off the steering wheel is a safety feature, but what do I know. I’m not a John Deere engineer :LOL:

·
Administrator
22,655 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Too true. I think the worst offenders of product design must be bean counters and legal beagles. Profit and liability are strong influences. That’s what we have aftermarket solutions for, give users a chance to make the product actually work for them since it can’t be full featured from the factory.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
When mine shut the engine down at the top of a steep bank after I forgot to push the button it unnerved me and made me question the intelligence of the designer of that safety function. The dumbest thing ever?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Wow, this post made me remember doing the rio mod the second day I had the 2038. Totally forgot that when I bought my rotary cutter which is mainly used in reverse backing into woodlines. Lol that would have been fun. Heed the advice and do the mod, takes all of 3 minutes! Couple of splice connectors under the seat can take care of other issues too but apply at your own risk 🤫

·
Registered
169 Posts
Wow, this post made me remember doing the rio mod the second day I had the 2038. Totally forgot that when I bought my rotary cutter which is mainly used in reverse backing into woodlines. Lol that would have been fun. Heed the advice and do the mod, takes all of 3 minutes! Couple of splice connectors under the seat can take care of other issues too but apply at your own risk 🤫
I wouldn’t know what you are talking about… :whistle::censored:

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I think it only applies to the mid PTO, the rear one probably doesn't require override.

·
Registered
3046R, 320R loader, 375A BH, 72D MMM, 4406H BB, County Line Landscape Rake, Fimco 40gal 3pt sprayer
133 Posts
I think it only applies to the mid PTO, the rear one probably doesn't require override.
Yup. The RIO only affects the mid-PTO. There's a sequence to use the rear PTO while off the seat, but it doesn't apply as long you stay on the tractor.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.