Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well placed and order for blackberries, and peppers as well as pumpkin, zucchini, and watermelon seed. Before we know it, it will be that time again. Ive really been thinking about building a greenhouse. Anybody else getting the itch?

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
I'm working on harvesting from my winter garden now. Hope you went thornless on the blackberries!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'm hoping to do my 1st garden this year after I get a tiller. I never thought about ordering seeds , thought you just go to stores for it.

Forgot that TTWT orders his sweet corn seeds.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm working on harvesting from my winter garden now. Hope you went thornless on the blackberries!
Yep. Ouachita and Apache varieties. Ive got the thorned type in a couple spots out in the pasture.

·
Super Moderator
5,969 Posts
I got buried under a deluge of seed catalogs this past week. Someone has decided that I need to get moving (of thinking at least!).

Reactions: ColonyPark

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I'm hoping to do my 1st garden this year after I get a tiller. I never thought about ordering seeds , thought you just go to stores for it.

Forgot that TTWT orders his sweet corn seeds.
The roundup ready sweet corn is available at 4 The Grower

I use the SV9010A hybrid. Tried a second hybrid last year, didn’t like it nearly as much.

Tim

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I ordered some seeds last weekend for some special varieties I can’t get locally.
This year I’m kicking around the idea of building a low tunnel and getting a head start on spring. This year would be more experimental, I’d try a few different things to see what works best to get early crops.
My compost pile of cow manure, chicken litter and pig litter has been cooking away all winter. The days are starting to stretch out a little longer. It won’t be long before I get some seeds started.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
The roundup ready sweet corn is available at 4 The Grower

I use the SV9010A hybrid. Tried a second hybrid last year, didn’t like it nearly as much.

Tim
Tim- where is 4 The Grower located? I couldn’t find a location on their website. I try to buy as many of my seeds locally, or at least from a Hoosier-based company, when I can.
Thanks!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Already did some planting here in AZ. Wife started some herbs. Also did some landscape with cactus, something new and different. A friend that lives nearby told us not to buy cactus, she could get all we wanted. Next thing we know she brings us about two peck baskets full of starts she collected from her neighbors. You just let the cut end dry a few days and stick them in the ground and water them in. Hoping to see some growth before we head home. Will start the real garden plants at home first week of April.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I also have been hit with catalogs. I used to just throw most out because I ordered from Stokes seeds. They have now changed to focusing on commercial growers and not on home growers. I sent for a catalog from Harris seeds in Rochester NY so I can try and stay local. Otherwise I may try Gurneys again and hope their customer service has gotten better since the last time I ordered. Still have another 3 months before I even think about gardening here

·
Registered
576 Posts
Just ate some of last years black eyed peas and Sliver queen corn. I’ve had the gardens all tilled in for the winter. I should have put some lime on the south garden last month.

·
Registered
559 Posts
We have been very happy with Johnny's Seeds for our garden.
We used to buy from the local garden centers and were impressed with germination vigor of quality seed.

I also have been hit with catalogs. I used to just throw most out because I ordered from Stokes seeds. They have now changed to focusing on commercial growers and not on home growers. I sent for a catalog from Harris seeds in Rochester NY so I can try and stay local. Otherwise I may try Gurneys again and hope their customer service has gotten better since the last time I ordered. Still have another 3 months before I even think about gardening here

·
Super Moderator
5,969 Posts
We have been very happy with Johnny's Seeds for our garden.
We used to buy from the local garden centers and were impressed with germination vigor of quality seed.
I use Johnny's pretty much exclusively now too. They have a great selection of seeds and are excellent to work with if you run into any problems. They're a small business so if you call, the odds are pretty good that you get the owner on the phone directly.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wouldnt have ordered from gurneys again but I had $50 in replacement certificates for garbage tomato plants they sent me.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I wouldnt have ordered from gurneys again but I had $50 in replacement certificates for garbage tomato plants they sent me.
A friend of mine says that same thing about buying from Harbor Freight. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A friend of mine says that same thing about buying from Harbor Freight. :ROFLMAO:
Wife and I decided this would be the last order from them regardless. You did remind me to order a vise from harbor freight.

Getting some apple trees as well. Need cedar apple resistance so looking at Arkansas Black and red delicious. Buddy's folks have a nursery so he is going to get me some before they get picked over. He said last year the nursery had made more money than ever before by Sept.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I want to expand my garden this year and I’ve cut down a few old plum and pear trees. Do I need to dig the stumps in the garden or will grinding them down deep enough be sufficient?

Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I want to expand my garden this year and I’ve cut down a few old plum and pear trees. Do I need to dig the stumps in the garden or will grinding them down deep enough be sufficient?
They won't harm anything plant wise, in fact over time they will help to retain moisture as they decompose. Just want to make sure they won't interfere with your tiller.

·
Corndog Hater
12,549 Posts
I sent for a catalog from Harris seeds in Rochester NY so I can try and stay local
I order from Harris. Even at the very SW corner of NYS, I consider them local. I love their pelleted seed. We plant pelleted Nantindo carrots every year, as well as the pelleted lettuce seed.

I need to ramp up deer protection this year. The two in my freezer didn’t put a dent in the population. My bride is also wanting to get back into squash and pumpkins. That means I need some bigger, much bigger raised beds, or the 3PH tiller gets some exercise.

Reactions: X758

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well the first part of my Gurneys order shipped 1-18-21. It never showed up so I emailed them this morning. It says on my tracking "unknown shipping method". They are sending replacements. All I can so is shake my head. Gurneys CS is good but as a company they suck.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts