Green Tractor Talk banner

21 - 40 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
We started buying our seeds in the beginning of January and already noticed a lot of places were running low or out of some seeds. Johnnys has been our No. 1 place to go but in the last 2 years they have cut us off or cut us back because of demand so we have had to find other places. All that's left is Potatoes from DeBruyn seed Co

·
Registered
559 Posts
Johnny's just cut back their orders to farmers and commercial only (because of Covid?)
We ordered our seeds last Fall and are now glad we did.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Johnny's just cut back their orders to farmers and commercial only (because of Covid?)
We ordered our seeds last Fall and are now glad we did.
I just checked their site. It says they’ll reopen ordering to the general public February 10 and 11.
I’ve been ordering from Urban Farmer ufseeds.com the last few years. They’re a small business on the NW side of Indianapolis. I’ve had good luck with their seeds and would recommend them if anyone is needing seeds.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Ran a large order with Burpee this year and they cut Shipping and seed cost by 40% and were very helpful. Love doing business with Johnny's and will try to continue but with a very large portion of what we grow going to the food pantries cost does play a part and Johnny's sure is $$$ proud of their seed.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I ordered my seed from johnny's seeds again in their extremely narrow window of two days for home gardeners. Apparently covid got the plants, the seeds, the people, the equipment, possibly even the packaging the seeds are shipped in, because they have covid warning disclaimers all over their site and can't even keep up with home gardeners. They also have a $95 shipping fee on a tarp, lol. I didn't order the tarp. 2021 is SO awesome! At least I got my seed ordered.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Waiting lists here for seeds. I grabbed a $45 order a few days ago and have a bunch on order.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Waiting lists here for seeds. I grabbed a $45 order a few days ago and have a bunch on order.
I would find a place that actually has seeds to ship. I would hate to wait another month then find out they can’t fill your order.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I would find a place that actually has seeds to ship. I would hate to wait another month then find out they can’t fill your order.
As I noted above, I ordered seeds from Jungs (https://www.jungseed.com/). I just looked. I ordered on January 12 and the order was shipped on January 20. I had never ordered from them before, but they had some of the earliest corn varieties that I could find. We can have a short season around here. Have seen frost in early June and again usually get a killing frost shortly after Labor Day. We used to order from Gurney's. Back when they were from Yankton SD, they seemed to be a much better company than now. I ordered from Farmer's Seed a few years ago and it was OK, but I've heard horror stories about them.

Maybe spring's on the way. It was -23°F a few minutes ago. Now it's only -21°F.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
As I noted above, I ordered seeds from Jungs (https://www.jungseed.com/). I just looked. I ordered on January 12 and the order was shipped on January 20. I had never ordered from them before, but they had some of the earliest corn varieties that I could find. We can have a short season around here. Have seen frost in early June and again usually get a killing frost shortly after Labor Day. We used to order from Gurney's. Back when they were from Yankton SD, they seemed to be a much better company than now. I ordered from Farmer's Seed a few years ago and it was OK, but I've heard horror stories about them.

Maybe spring's on the way. It was -23°F a few minutes ago. Now it's only -21°F.
I ordered a few things from Jungs in early January too. That order shipped and arrived quickly. Your temps are a little colder than here, you can keep that! The groundhog was spot on with his prediction this year. He came out on the 2nd and winter started.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I ordered a few things from Jungs in early January too. That order shipped and arrived quickly. Your temps are a little colder than here, you can keep that! The groundhog was spot on with his prediction this year. He came out on the 2nd and winter started.
Maybe that rodent needs a .22 calibre adjustment? Two years ago he popped out and same thing. It was warm here on Feb 2. 50 degrees around 11 AM. We had the garage doors open and were warming it up in there. In the early afternoon I walked around the corner of the garage and that NE wind hit me in the face. Closed stuff up and it was below 0 by midnight. Then the snow started. Spend most of the rest of February and the first half of March blowing snow. This year had just been cold so far. Only snow to blow was in October.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Ordered the few seeds I needed on Wednesday, way late to the game this year, should have had my onions planted last weekend. Oh well, looking forward to getting everything started

·
Registered
448 Posts
I used to get all my seed from Stokes but they have gone all commercial this year. I sat down with four catalogs made my lists and compared prices. As much as I didn’t want to I placed an order with Gurneys 2 weeks ago. I received a confirmation email so all I can do is hope for the best.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Like most, I have placed my seed orders, now just waiting on them to arrive. In the meantime, it's nearly March. I am trying some new tactics this year on my garden, here in NW Ohio.

1. Bought some "silage tarps" this year and am going to attempt to "burn down" the garden with them in early spring in order to assist in reducing weeds, and retain it's moisture and increase it's heat, to bring the worms to the surface to break down the organic matter. I never tried this, so we'll see how it goes. If I can reduce early weeds by 20% with this, I will consider it a success.
2. The land I garden on is loamy clay-like, so organic matter will do this garden wonders. This year, I will be bringing in a couple of dump trailer loads of wood chip mulch and roto-till it in early as I can. I had manure on it this past fall.
3. I had a lot of success with drip tape last year. I will be doing that again, only building the main trunks in 10 or 20 ft segments. My tractor plants at 28" rows, so each 10 ft section of irrigation trunk will have 4-5 holes in them to branch off the drip tape. Since I don't have the same garden size or location each year, as I rotate, having a configurable irrigation system is important.
4. I have a JD 71, two row planter. It works great on corn, which I used last year, but using it for a vegetable garden is a PITA. I had in mind to build a separate single planter unit for my vegetable garden, but I am still in the ideation stages, so no action. I have been kicking around the idea a JD bottom style no-till planter (essentially a no-till coulter, with double openers, and single closer), with a jang planter unit on top. This would allow for the robustness of JD ground articulation, only with the quick interchange and small seed reliability of the jang seeder system. In my mind, so far, that's the best vegetable planter you can get. Yes, I know jang makes a 3 pt seeder but the bottoms look chintzy and they are expensive. Besides, I want to be able to buy replaceable parts (coulters, bearings, etc) from shoup or JD, in the future. Don't know if I would be able to with the jang. Anyways, I went down a rabbit hole. That's probably a whole different thread.

So yeah, cheers to 2021 gardens!

·
Corndog Hater
12,549 Posts
All this gardening talk.....I'm still a ways off from anything going in the ground (Memorial Day), but boy it's good to see you folks getting to it. After battling the deer for years and them seeming to figure out my raised bed PVC deer cages can be beaten in submission and grant them access, I'm about ready to just bit the bullet and build the fortress around the raised beds. My wife has wanted to do this for some time. I also figure that while I'm at it, I might as well add more raised beds. We have (4) 4' x 12' beds now. I'm thinking of doubling that to 8. I must be a glutton for punishment!:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
559 Posts

We eventually gave up trying to repel the deer and put up an 8 foot fence around the garden and orchard.
Pictures are about 2 years old and we since added more boxes.
Now the deer simply walk around the garden and head off to the fields.

Build yourself a fortress and sleep better.

21 - 40 of 85 Posts