Green Tractor Talk banner

61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
My tomatoes are started under a grow light in the garage. Two 10' double rows of peas are just starting to break ground in the garden, I'll cover them with aged sawdust today before tonight's "hard freeze".

Reactions: Pigpen

·
Registered
559 Posts
@TheOtherChris - How many plants do you hydroponically grow? I assume you don't transplant in the ground, correct? Do you change the light spectrum once they flower or begin to fruit?
In addition to the one tomato and one cucumber in deep water culture buckets we also have strawberries, lettuce and spinach in horizontal 2" PVC using ebb and flow. The 2" pipe garden was a retail offering that my wife picked up to try hydroponics. The small volume and 1.5" net cups makes it difficult to maintain..
I am going to start growing all the lettuce and spinach in a vertical 4" PVC tube and put strawberries in horizontal 4".

I am very happy with the deep water culture buckets for the tomato and cucumber but it does take a bit more space.

All of this is growing in our dining room.

For lighting we use full spectrum LED arrays but have no plans to manipulate the spectrum for flowering since we are growing vegetables (and not cannabis which responds quite well to that).

Our goal is to have some fresh stuff in the middle of winter so we are currently 'tweaking' our method to be ready for next winter.

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
Set out a few new strawberry plants & moved some others a couple days ago. Worked the other two strip beds & set out 90 gladiola bulbs this morning, Planted my potatoes & onions, then the rest of the bed by the shop to sunflowers & zinnias.

Put up the Purple Martin gourds this afternoon.

Depending on the weather in the morning, I need to make the 20 mile trip to an area Amish greenhouse for flower plants in the morning. This greenhouse is on a farm that once belonged to my mother's uncle!

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
$100 spent at the greenhouse this morning:
HPIM3187.JPG

I have several of them in pots now, the rest later:
HPIM3188.JPG

HPIM3189.JPG

HPIM3190.JPG

The pots with the cages will get cherry tomatoes later.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Here we just try and get rid of blackberries, always throws me off when I hear about people planting them
Depends on where they are. Ive got wild blackberries in the pasture. Quail and rabbits love the cover and fire keeps them in check. These are versions that stand erect and yield large fruits.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I feel like I've gotten off to a late start this year, I usually plant on Easter weekend. However, Easter was a little earlier this year, so maybe I'm still on track. I tilled this morning, after making a trip to the local farm supply to get stuff to plant. Now to set up the bean arbor for half runners, and figure out where to put everything in my 75 x 60 foot plot. Also got to start planning defense strategies for the crows and deer. Shotgun and electric fence comes to mind. :p

·
Registered
559 Posts
Here we just try and get rid of blackberries, always throws me off when I hear about people planting them
My wife and I felt the same way when we lived in the Cascades.
Now we live in SE Idaho......and have actually PAID for canes to plant out back.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Here in Western NY it’s been extremely dry. Normally I really can’t do much in my garden until the first part of may. Today I put 52 strawberry plants in. I’m actually going to try spring peas and put some lettuce and spinach in. It’s supposed to cool off next week and rain so I hope I’m not getting to far ahead of myself.
48E50419-E50F-4470-842C-8B4108BE5402.jpeg

·
Registered
934 Posts
Got all my garden planted yesterday, and got 1/4 inch of rain on it last night. It looked like it wanted to pour most of the day yesterday, and I was hurrying to finish. 1st drops started falling just as I was putting up my tools, the Good Lord waited on me just long enough. Now, if He will keep the critters out.

I've got 4 hills of cucumbers in the far left, along with 4 hills of crookneck squash, Near left has Herbs, including rosemary, thyme, parsley, sage, dill, two types of basil, and cilantro. There's a patch of kale and mustard greens next to the herbs, and romaine and bib lettuce next to that up front. Beside them are green, yellow, and red bell peppers, jalapeno and hot banana peppers. to their right, about the middle up front are Roma, Better Boy, and yellow tomatoes and one cherry tomato. Over on the right is a single row of thin-skin red potatoes, and at the edge is the bean arbor, I like the mountain half runner variety. The back portion is all Golden Queen corn and a half row of okra between the cucumbers and corn. There's a couple of empty patches I can still use, maybe some crowder peas in one spot, if I can find them. It doesn't look like much right now, but let's see what a couple of weeks of warm sun and Spring rain does.

·
Registered
559 Posts

Hydroponic cucumber is now at 35 days.

Tomato is also at 35 days. Just starting to blossom.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Plot looks good KHodges. I will be rototilling soon!

Reactions: The Satch

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
3 weeks late, but started my tomatoes last night, have an heirloom slicer, a yellow cherry tomato, and going with 6 romas for sauce. Got the garden tilled last weekend, looks like I might have finally dealt with the weeds that were coming up.

Also re-started brussel sprouts, as the ones I have I had sprouted in a warm cabinet in a paper towel and then transferred to soil, and they got really leggy and kind of collapsed, so now they have an S bend when they come out of the ground and the stalk rests on the soil. Hopefully the new ones will come up straight, if so, I'll sacrifice the older ones as I don't think they will support their own weight as they mature.

·
Premium Member
1025R, '30 Ford, '08 Range Rover Supercharged, '63 MGB, '92 300ZX twin turbo, '73 Courier 2.3 turbo
411 Posts
Well placed and order for blackberries, and peppers as well as pumpkin, zucchini, and watermelon seed. Before we know it, it will be that time again. Ive really been thinking about building a greenhouse. Anybody else getting the itch?
Tomatoes (3 kinds), lemon cucumbers, anaheim peppers, green bell peppers, cantaloupes, watermelons, yellow squash, zucchini - all on a drip system.

Attachments

Reactions: The Satch and Boar

·
Registered
2019 JD 4052M
7 Posts
I tilled 4 gardens this past weekend, I have not done my own yet, but it will make 5. This will be my first time planting a garden ever in my life, me and my girlfriend are going to give it a try. Her grandparents have always planted one and she has always helped with it.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I tilled 4 gardens this past weekend, I have not done my own yet, but it will make 5. This will be my first time planting a garden ever in my life, me and my girlfriend are going to give it a try. Her grandparents have always planted one and she has always helped with it.

View attachment 783873
I thought from your other thread that you had 4 gardens yourself!

If you get the chance with yours, after the first till, dump a few yards of compost on it and till that in too, your future plants will appreciate it.

·
Registered
2019 JD 4052M
7 Posts
I thought from your other thread that you had 4 gardens yourself!

If you get the chance with yours, after the first till, dump a few yards of compost on it and till that in too, your future plants will appreciate it.
No, No, I use my tractor to work for other people mostly, Bush hogging and I got a tiller last year so I started doing that as well. I will be sure to do that though!

61 - 80 of 85 Posts