Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 229 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a couple of people had their fields cut on Monday. We were able to get ours cut late yesterday.

Any other people out in GTT world with picky horses?

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
16,625 Posts
There's a large Cutting Horse outfit near me and I noticed they also cut their hay in one of their set-aside pastures on Monday. I rode by there yesterday and the hay was still on the ground. I sure hope they baled it before the rains arrived yesterday afternoon.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
some have already bailed first cut here, some haven't made first cut yet... I am cutting now, but not bailing this year, still cleaning up old fields to get the weeds out...

·
Premium Member
Tator
16,459 Posts
Any other people out in GTT world with picky horses?
Absolutely!!! But, I always say, a fussy horse (or any animal for that matter) is a well taken care of horse. Ours are spoiled, so can be very finicky when it comes to hay, winter time not quite as bad as now.
Hopefully the weather forecast doesn't change, we should be mowing Saturday, but have to get through this week first.

·
Premium Member
Tator
16,459 Posts
Is second cut hay sweeter or more tender?
Definitely softer, we had a customer for several years that had older horses, he bought a lot of second cutting from us.

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
We cut and bales one small field. We were gonna cut more but guessers are playing with rain forecast so we are on hold right now.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I put 325 bales in the barn last week. I have a three acre field left to cut and bale for the first cut. I went and looked at it last night. I fertilized it this spring. The fertilizer worked. It’s all almost 5’ tall (mostly orchard and brome grass). If it ever stops raining every couple days I’ll get after it.

·
Premium Member
Tator
16,459 Posts
Finer/more tender.
Thin, that's what my FIL calls it. You have to take a few rounds out of the tensioners or man alive, you'll pack a boat load of hay into one bale, and when you're selling that just isn't sound business sense. ;)

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
All but one field cut now. Nice day for it. Low humidity good drying breeze. Got a lot of Baling to do now.
Pic next to my house all down to cross road done.

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
Long day. We got 3 fields teddered, raked and bales today. 67 rounds off them total. We need rain that’s not good. Video (kind hard holding phone, magnet mount coming for GoPro) me raking with the old 5 bar and old 790. Had both rakes going today. Pic of cousin teddering.

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
Won't be any hay cutting here in North Texas for awhile due to all the rain. I'll be lucky to get mine in before the 4th of July at this rate. Compared to last year on this date when we had grass on the ground. Can't do anything about the weather right?

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
Can't do anything about the weather right?
Right can’t do nothing about Mother Nature. We are opposite need rain bad. Or we are not gonna have much Second cutting either.

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
Finished baling hay today. Hot and tired and directly into the shower I went. Short clip as we were finishing back field.

1 - 20 of 229 Posts