Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Administrator
19,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Personally, I am having my doubts that this will actually happen, plus Easter in on April 4th so many would be traveling home on Easter Sunday, but here is the latest info:

2021 SHOW UPDATES
The National Farm Machinery Show is held annually at the Kentucky Exposition Center and is the largest indoor farm show in the country, featuring 1.2 million square feet of exhibit space. The show is a key player in the agriculture industry, featuring the most comprehensive display of equipment, services and technology.

With a possible vaccine on the horizon and safety measures improving daily, the 56th show and 53rd Championship Tractor Pull has been moved to March 31-April 3.

Attendees must pre-register for the show and select a day to attend in-advance. Pre-registration is not open at this time, but an announcement will be coming soon.

Exhibitors, please visit the exhibit page for details and information in advance of the show as well as direct correspondence from us via email. Our Expositions team will contact you.

Members of Media, please be on the lookout for an email update, but also visit the media tab of the website to apply for the show.

National Farm Machinery Show has enacted new procedures to help stop the spread of COVID-19. Those measures include:

• Every attendee will be required to register for the show, submitting their name and contact information for contact tracing and attendance management.
  • Capacity will be capped to allow for 36 sq. ft. of space per person at any given time.
  • The trade show will be conducted in a hybrid model to allow for both in-person and virtual attendance.
  • Facial coverings will be required for everyone in attendance.
  • Increased hand sanitizer and handwashing stations will be available throughout the property.
  • The complete list of changes and the related plan is available below.

·
Premium Member
15,028 Posts
I like the dates better than mid February, but I will be surprised if this happens.

·
Administrator
19,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am wondering ho many vendors/manufactures would actually show up? I was reading on Facebook (yes I know....) that many may just set up virtual displays with large monitors rather than have equipment that people will want to touch and clime on.

·
Registered
2016 1025r
269 Posts
I am wondering ho many vendors/manufactures would actually show up? I was reading on Facebook (yes I know....) that many may just set up virtual displays with large monitors rather than have equipment that people will want to touch and clime on.
I don’t think that’s the same and it’s harder to get the fell of it if you don’t sit in the seat

·
Premium Member
7,268 Posts
That’s what happened with the machine tool show in Chicago. Getting vendors and their employees there was going to be an issue. Hotels, restaurants, etc. It ended up virtual only.

·
Administrator
19,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don’t think that’s the same and it’s harder to get the fell of it if you don’t sit in the seat
That’s what happened with the machine tool show in Chicago. Getting vendors and their employees there was going to be an issue. Hotels, restaurants, etc. It ended up virtual only.
Right. We can to "virtual" at home, for free.

·
Super Moderator
8,462 Posts
The SEMA show was virtual this year. I spent three long days along with others "manning the booth" in front of my computer. Whereas in the past 75-80% of booth traffic included users, prospects or distributors looking to pick-up lines, this years visitors were mostly associates and other vendors. Yes, there was plenty of visiting and catching up but actual business and sales was "virtually" non-existent.

There's just no substitute for toe to toe, belly to belly, eyeball to eyeball interaction.

·
Administrator
19,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The SEMA show was virtual this year. I spent three long days along with others "manning the booth" in front of my computer. Whereas in the past 75-80% of booth traffic included users, prospects or distributors looking to pick-up lines, this years visitors were mostly associates and other vendors. Yes, there was plenty of visiting and catching up but actual business and sales was "virtually" non-existent.

There's just no substitute for toe to toe, belly to belly, eyeball to eyeball interaction.
So yo be clear, where you at the show location or at your home office in front of the 'puter?

·
Premium Member
7,268 Posts
Yes, there was plenty of visiting and catching up but actual business and sales was "virtually" non-existent.

Sounds just like the machinery show.

·
Super Moderator
8,462 Posts

·
Registered
2020 1025R
8 Posts
Since most of us are show attendances, I’d like to offer some insight from the perspective of a vendor, albeit in a different industry.

I agree with the above, virtual shows were not getting measurable engagement from the coveted end customer. This was not limited to farm machinery shows.

For what its worth, these big shows are big buck expenses for the vendors.

At Chicago’s McCormic place, we could not even set up our own booth. Different labor teams needed to do different parts of the setup. Just one example, plugging in a electrical cord plug to the outlet required we hire two electricians for the minimum one hour. Think you can carry in a box of literature? Think again, thats taking away someone job.

At the end of the show, do you want to stand around for two days waiting or do you want your stuff shipped out right away? Better tip the drayage team leader a few thousand in cash. Same with the security team. Just expensing that without a receipt becomes a issue.

Like above, we were struggling with real end customer involvement in virtual trainings until, well, we bribed them, sorry, offered a incentive. Now classes are structured that require participant input during the training. They can not log in then walk away. They must make input decisions to progress through the training. Once training is complete, the customer gets something, in this case, a Carhart jacket. This is actually far less expensive for vendors then the six figure expense of actual shows, and that figure did not count booth staffing employee time, hotel rooms, meals and travel, which has different accounting.

Classes are full again, with invited, targeted clients. Question and Answer time robust. Sales gets qualified, targeted information about who attended.

Over the past few months, I’m seeing this end customer participation incentive process with many vendors. If you are not getting invitations to virtual events with some sort of swag, it could be because your not identified as a person who can result in sales growth for the vendor.

I also long for the days of face to face, but right now, we need to get through this as best we can.

BE54105D-B217-430D-9BC6-1CAE01E6F898.jpeg

·
Premium Member
11,242 Posts
Just think, Kenny, you can sit at home and put your virtual reality goggles on and then climb on the virtual tractors and sit in the virtual seats to get the "virtual feel" of the machine. The best part of the entire show is when you get to do the virtual dinner with a virtual Tractor Tim ........Just don't eat too many of the virtual appetizers or you won't be hungry for the main course......and be careful with those virtual adult beverages......otherwise, you will need (or it would be virtually responsible to) summon a virtual Uber driver can take you back to the virtual hotel........

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,649 Posts
Guessing I won't make this show in 2021. Was looking forward to it but now, a virtual dinner just isn't the same as real food. So I think a virtual show won't be the same as actual. I'm sitting on my dining room chair. I wonder if I can sit on a virtual chair...Nope that didn't work out so well. It just let me fall to the floor. 🤣🤣
At least I won't have to make my budget fit this show into my plans.

·
Registered
494 Posts
My wife and I were looking at going to the show this year and doing a couple of other things along the way. With it being on Easter weekend, that knocks it our completely.

If it’s virtual, I’ll just visit the websites of the companies that I want to visit anytime.

I just got an invitation from a conference that I normally attend and it is to be virtual this year. They still want $1,500 registration fee for the 3 day virtual conference. What gives with the huge registration fee and not providing any in-person event.

I need in-person socializing.

·
Premium Member
11,287 Posts
If you are not getting invitations to virtual events with some sort of swag, it could be because your not identified as a person who can result in sales growth for the vendor.
Yep, that would be me. Just call me Zero.

Now when they come looking for the lost revenue the show would have generated for the local economy as well as the city & state coffers...... it will suck to be a taxpayer. I wonder if they will except "Virtual' dollars.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Well, count me as an optimist!

We made hotel reservations for the entire NFMS show.
Got them for 23,000 Hilton points per night RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET from the show.
Christy is afraid I’ll make her walk.

It is ‘too late’ for the farmers. They are crazy busy at this time of year, last minute prep for planting, and maybe actually working in the field.

Anyway, no idea if it will actually happen, but if it does, we plan to be there!

I don’t like VIRTUAL cheeseburgers (OR pork chops)!

·
Registered
552 Posts
@Tractor Tim I don't know the area and have never been. Have you got any recommendations on other things in the area like restaurants, hotels, possibly tourist attractions? I have heard you talk of a place to eat in the Captain D videos but I always forget the name.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts