Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am taking delivery of my new x739 tractor with 60" deck in two days and can't wait! I'm trying to think of everything I can do to prolong the lifespan of this machine. I've been reading a lot of recommendations on here so I appreciate you all for that. I have read about certain people wanting to protect the underside of their mower deck with protective coatings. I've gathered that the two most common applications are a type of "Tough liner" or truck bed liner coating, or spraying the underside with something like Fluid Film. I'm looking for opinions from people who know anything about this or from anyone who has first hand knowledge. Any input is appreciated. Also, what other items should be on my immediate checklist upon delivery aside from the obvious things such as checking grease zerks, fluids, etc. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Personally I would think any sort or bedliner type product under the deck would lead to more issues than any corosion issues it solves.

Fluid film is ok but is sticky and will quickly get removed in use. It would be best as an off season preservation product. That is assuming you take the deck off for the winter.

Cleaning the deck off before winter storage and keeping the deck in a clean dry building will be the most effective way of prolonging it's life. Maybe touch the paint up a bit in a few years.

You already hit in the common items to check with a new x7. Other get your butt in the seat and have fun.

Reactions: Gizmo2 and X758er

·
Registered
13,378 Posts
The two biggest things I can think of are

1- remove the belt covers so you can easily clean under them, and do it.

2-scrape the deck clean at the end of every season and coat it before storage. Fluid film is good for this.

If possible avoid cutting wet grass. When I have no choice I will sit over a sandy area with the deck on and let it self clean.

Reactions: X758er

·
Registered
101 Posts
I put grease under the mowerdeck after cleaning it, the advantage of grease is that you can scrape the grass of pretty easy. After that you just need to add a new layer of grease and you are done.

Reactions: rydplrs

·
Registered
507 Posts
A dry deck is a happy deck. Mine is 7 years old and except for a little surface rust on the underside still looks like new. I blow the topside off after every use and scrape the bottom maybe 2 or 3 times a season. Have never washed it or coated the underside.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I have over 200 hours on my x739.

Clean the radiator screen after each use & occasionally blow out the area.
Keep grass blown out of the deck belt guards.
I never mow wet grass & never spray water on top or bottom of the deck. I have never had a problem of grass buildup on the bottom of the deck. I do not coat my deck, except after I clean it up a the end of the season. I coat it with what ever oil I have available at the time.
To clean the top of the deck, I just use a damp sponge to wash it.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I try not to mow wet grass, especially with the mulching kit installed. I take an angle grinder with wire brush to the bottom after each mowing season and hit with some cheap spray paint...sharpen the blades of course. Other than that, it looks and works great after 150 hours.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Beware on those grease zerks - some aren't so obvious. Like the main shaft drive going to the flywheel, and the fun of greasing the U-joints on the main deck drive shaft and such.......

Two points: No question is a dumb question (and don't be afraid to ask how/why), and I suggest spending time on the forum, using the search function, and just dig through some topics on your machine (and all similar 700 series as there's lots of overlap) and read and soak up info. There's a fund of info here worth mega millions of dollars in free facts and assistance, so make everything you can of it - and again, don't be afraid to ask questions.

I LOVE watching YouTube vids on these. Seeing makes things much easier. Do know that there are some things different on newer x739s vs older ones, like the much easier oil change on more recent machines. So make sure those vids match your machine where it needs to (instead of looking to run the 10mm with the long extender - don't have to do that on newer ones :) That said, I've watched a number of 2015 and similar owners do maintenance and other tasks that have been very educational.

OH - and I have to also mention that I don't know if it's your first tractor, or your first PTO driven machine. Watch the safety stuff in the forum if these are new to you. If it's not new to you, then you know, but safety first. These are WONDERFUL machines but misuse can literally kill. Be smart and safe, and it's a wonderful ride and jobs well done. Know the power of PTO and safety in general.

Enjoy:)

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for everyone's input! Very helpful. To those that coat the undersides of the deck at the end of the season, do you just spray it down from the can? Or rub it on with a rag or something else?

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Thanks for everyone's input! Very helpful. To those that coat the undersides of the deck at the end of the season, do you just spray it down from the can? Or rub it on with a rag or something else?
I just use a paint brush. I keep one in a coffee can in my oil cabinet. Overspray from spraying wastes a lot of material.

Reactions: CJadamec

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Don't forget the most important thing is that you need to post pictures of your new machine when you get it.

Reactions: TJR345

·
Registered
353 Posts
I spray Fluid Film on at the end of the mowing seaon....but rub wipe spray any way you decide to with what you feel is best.
Be sure to check the lo vis Hy-gard transmission fluid as soon as you get your new tractor!!!....the dipstick is under the seat.
Unscrew it...wipe off and just push the stick down to the top of the threads to read it properly.
The level should only be in the cross hatch area when cold not running.
No need to check the front axle as front and rear axles are hydraulically connected and are checked with the transmission dipstick.
Don't be suprised if the level is somewhat low.
Make sure to screw the dipstick back down semi tight.
I didn't and the trans pushed some oil up and past the loose dipstick threads making an oily mess after two hours of mowing. Lost 1/2 pint.
This rear pto on mine probably aggravated this ...churning oil up the filler dipstick tube.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Especially on an AWD model, check the hyd oil level again after using the tractor for an hour or so.
If it hasn't been driven much, there is a chance that it may 'release' a little air trapped in it somewhere.
Mine did.

Clean dipstick and reinsert but do not screw it in. Level should be on cross-hatch.
The hyd oil is nearly clear so it can be hard to see.
Don't overfill.

The recommended John Deere Low Vis Hyd oil inexpensive at the dealer.
Don't waste time trying to find a cheaper alternate.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I just use mine. I mow when I need to wet or dry. I have a deck dolly to make tipping it easy and at the same time as cleaning the underside by scraping I sharpen the blades. I do this three times a year. Three years on my 54 HC powered by x700 and it looks excellent. That's my experience in MN anyway. I'm more than picky enough to do more if it needed it!

Oh and boy can I remember the few days before delivery! Congratulations and enjoy your new tractor!

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Swazimotto,

You mind sharing where you got the deck dolly? I need one for my X739 60" that will be delivered in the next couple of days.

Thanks
Jack
3032e, D160 loader and box blade.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Swazimotto,

You mind sharing where you got the deck dolly? I need one for my X739 60" that will be delivered in the next couple of days.

Thanks
Jack
3032e, D160 loader and box blade.
Yes sir,

Here is the link IA

IMO, these are a little overpriced for what they are. But, if you justify the benefits to your deck by maintaining it better the cost makes sense. The product is well built and easy to assemble. I went with double wheels and longer arms.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
UPDATE with pics!

So I had a bit of a situation after receiving my new x739. I took it around the block and stopped at a buddy's house to show him, as he's a big JD guy. On the way back home I looked down at the front right wheel and noticed metal shavings flying!! WTF?? I get it home and inspect it closer. Part of the fender mount is touching the inside of the wheel and shaving serious metal off. Not happy. This is Friday (4/30) at about 4:30pm (delivered around 2:30). I call the dealer and they tell me they will pick it up tomorrow (Saturday) at 8am. I made it clear I was pretty frustrated and was not looking forward to being without my mower for 1-2 weeks or however long. I also wasn't impressed with the overall design of the front fenders and the tight clearances from the tire tread, so I told the dealer to take them back and off the bill. At this point, I don't know how this process is going to go and how long I will be without my brand new machine. I was really looking forward to playing with my new toy in the yard all weekend. So long story short, they pick up the x739 the next morning around 9am and somehow got a new wheel delivered to them in that time, and got my mower delivered back to me at about 2pm the SAME day. Hats off to P&K Midwest in Mt. Vernon, IA. Despite the minor hiccup, they stepped up and couldn't have done a better job to make me feel good about the situation! They also brought me a commercial zero turn as a loaner, which was a nice touch. But obviously I didn't even need it for the 5 hours it was here! Just thought I'd share my experience. Anyone else have issues with the fender mounts on x739s?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Nice looking tractor. Shame about the fenders doing that. They might not have taken the fancy mag wheels into account white the tolerance for the fit of the fenders. The mag wheels were a 2019 changes the fenders are much older than those wheels and designed to work with the steel rims.

Glad the dealer was about to make you happy in the long run.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I was wondering about the new wheels. I have the previous generation of wheels and the fenders. The tolerance is quite tight but the functionality is great.

·
Registered
2021 X738
53 Posts
I had to have the dealer come out to my house to adjust my front fenders. Although they were not scraping the wheel, they were rubbing the tire quite a bit. They were also quite responsive and sent a truck right over to take care of it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts