Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Day 1 of 2022 showed me the results of work done “last year” with the 1025R.

Our 3/4 mile driveway is on an easement through both crop land and an industrial pipeline, and it was in rough shape when we bought a year ago.

About 20 acres of field gradually slopes toward a section of our driveway, and due to utilities and pipelines there’s little effective uphill ditch. That led to water sheeting across 75-100 ft of the drive, moving gravel and creating a muddy mess. So I built up a berm to assist the ditch in directing water to an existing seasonal creek and culvert. Here’s the drive now. We just had a rainstorm that previously would have been flowing across the road spanning the distance between the two big puddles, flowing from right to left. Success.

Sky Plant Natural landscape Cloud Tree

Facing the other direction, the berm redirects water left of the following picture (not into the little ditch immediately left of the road) into a creek with a culvert under the drive in front of the gate.
Plant Plant community Leaf Natural landscape Road surface

It then flows under the driveway, and should have followed an existing creek bed. But no, the previous owners ignored several large oaks that fell in the creek and blocked it, which caused the water to snake back toward the driveway. At some point an ATV was driven through there and the ruts became the new creek.
Plant Natural landscape Tree Branch Wood

So I decided to just cooperate, and used to tractor to dig out the ATV path and turn it into a swale rather than two deep ruts. It seems to have done the trick to rapidly move the surface water away from our drive.
Plant Natural landscape Land lot Tree Slope

Water Plant Natural landscape Tree Twig

Plant Sky Natural landscape Branch Sunlight

And here’s the other end where I stopped:
Water Water resources Plant Ecoregion Natural landscape

Still more work to do, but it seems this low cost solution is working. It took several weeks of doing a bit at a time, but paid off.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Feel free to pile on with how your projects are providing good returns...

Reactions: etcallhome

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Nice job. Seems to be working nicely. 👍

·
Premium Member
20,065 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.