Green Tractor Talk banner
121 - 140 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
New 4044R cab, MX6 Cutter, 440 FEL, Aftermarket mirrors
348 Posts
What model baler do you have?
I run a square baler with my 2025R. It’s an old NH 66.
I dunno. I'll have to go fight the snakes and spiders to see. I do know it's an ancient International Harvester, but beyond that, no clue...

the 4520 (60hp) did not break a sweat ...zero issues .....i know your 4044 would pull it and other older JD balers ...dont know about the newer ones HP wise....those bales land softly on 6" of stubble so they dont suffer to much...sometimes we will pull a basket behind the baler if its special hay we are putting in the barn loft
🤣🤣🤣🤣 You thought I was concerned for the bales! 🤣🤣🤣🤣 Nope. Just hate square bales. Too many in my lifetime. Hate em. Hate, hate, hate them! 😁

It should run it. I ran my 24t and 14t John Deere with my790 before.
Fine... I'll go see if the stupid thing is even accessible.
Dang it. Me and my dumb ideas....

·
Registered
348 Posts
I was just talking about this with my FIL the other day. He said the flywheel was the secret back then because large HP tractors weren't that common. But as larger tractors started becoming the fashion the equipment manufacturers started leaving it up to the farmer to use a larger tractor.
Yup. Back when the square baler came out, nobody had more than a 35 to 45 horse tractor. It was all about momentum. Kinda funny watching "youngsters" hook up to an old baler, Rev the tractor up, jerk the PTO in gear and see the PTO shaft twist up like a pretzel... I have a twisted sense of humor though.

·
Registered
348 Posts
336 JD .......used to have a 24t ....shouldnt be a issue on flat ground
Yea I wouldn’t want to be pulling a wagon also on anything but flat ground. I baled a flat field with my 790 and it did fine even with a loaded wagon. Once you get that fly wheel going it don‘t take much hp to run most square balers.
This little field is just over an acre. Flat ground, except for the big honkin rock that juts up on the east end. I've round baled it several times. Usually makes around 15 round bales. (Wife raised sheep for a few years, rotated them into 3 different paddocks. Makes the grass grow really thick even in bad years)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Ok. I'm gonna go finish moving hay. The girls wimped out and left about 25 bales in the field. I'll do some ponderin on this square baler thing and see what I think after a few beers tonight. Fair week starts here tomorrow, so the show steer gotta be prepped and all the associated junk moved to the fairgrounds tonight/in the morning.
Thanks for the input guys. I'd rather be shot in the foot than mess with square bales, but I hate borrowing the big baler and other equipment for just one acre...

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
45,343 Posts
Yup. Back when the square baler came out, nobody had more than a 35 to 45 horse tractor. It was all about momentum. Kinda funny watching "youngsters" hook up to an old baler, Rev the tractor up, jerk the PTO in gear and see the PTO shaft twist up like a pretzel... I have a twisted sense of humor though.
Me too :ROFLMAO: . I like taking in loose hay, loading it on the wagon using a pitch fork and it has to be loaded a special way and then pulling it into the barn.
Brown Wood Rectangle Brick Brickwork
The History of Dad's Model A Ford by Robert Essenburg

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
I was just talking about this with my FIL the other day. He said the flywheel was the secret back then because large HP tractors weren't that common. But as larger tractors started becoming the fashion the equipment manufacturers started leaving it up to the farmer to use a larger tractor.
The old balers with their own engines used 15HP Wisconsin engines to run the baler. The pickups are smaller so you can’t bale large windrows.
My 2025 and NH 66 can do over 200 bales/hour pretty easily. One acre is a piece of cake. Picking up 100 bales isn’t bad either if you have a driver (or you be the driver!).

·
Registered
7,952 Posts
He said the flywheel was the secret back then because large HP tractors weren't that common.
Yep that’s exactly why the big flywheel. Heck you know when you break a shear pin that thing goes forever 😂Burn threw a pair of gloves trying to get it to stop after pin broke☄
Too many in my lifetime. Hate em. Hate, hate, hate them! 😁
Right there with you. We still do some squares but I don’t care to touch them anymore.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Yep that’s exactly why the big flywheel. Heck you know when you break a shear pin that thing goes forever 😂Burn threw a pair of gloves trying to get it to stop after pin broke☄

Right there with you. We still do some squares but I don’t care to touch them anymore.
I just throw a bale on the flywheel to slow it down. Still takes 5 minutes! Physics really work!
I do squares because I can’t justify the cost of bigger equipment. Glutton for punishment I guess.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
@ttazzman great job on the video. Made my stomach hurt watching those bales hit the ground, but I suffered through it. Looks like the 4520 did a fine job pulling that baler. Didn't heat up or give any trouble?
I ask because I've contemplated square baling a very small field here behind my house just for the little PITA ponies my women are collecting. I'd rather haul them a big round bale occasionally myself, but they do waste a fair amount of it. I'm not 100% on board with the square baling yet, but it would only be around 100-150 bales at most. (Which is 300 too many, in my opinion...) We have the baler, which hasn't seen daylight in over 10 years. Old IH something or other. I'm wondering if my 4044R would pull it?
Years ago we pulled a baler with an Allis Chalmer WD-45 (gas). I think you'd be fine on relatively flat ground. The AC would rock every time the plunger went home and it was a bit like riding a horse with a nice canter, lol.

·
Premium Member
Tator
17,064 Posts
The old balers with their own engines used 15HP Wisconsin engines to run the baler
Yup, he was talking about them too. I told him I’ve been looking at drum mowers, also been looking at Massey Ferguson 1734 round balers as I know my tractor could run both. The guy I took the load of bales to yesterday sells USDA beef, he’ll take all the round bales I could sell. The only questionable spot with the small tractor would be the big knoll in our field on the hill, the rest are relatively flat.

·
Premium Member
Tator
17,064 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: PJR832 and Gizmo2

·
Registered
348 Posts
Got wrangled into pulling the no-till drill out of the barn tonight when I went to fuel my tractor. (Hey, it's his hay, he can at least fill my tractor up, right?) Thought I'd snap a shot of it hooked to my lil baby tractor...
Wheel Tire Sky Plant Vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Sky Plant

·
Registered
348 Posts
Years ago we pulled a baler with an Allis Chalmer WD-45 (gas). I think you'd be fine on relatively flat ground. The AC would rock every time the plunger went home and it was a bit like riding a horse with a nice canter, lol.
Last time we had our square baler out, we used the New Holland 4630 2WD OOS to pull it. It would make the little tractor rock pretty good, but once ya got it up to speed it baled like a champ. Made my niece a little seasick from the rocking motion. I told her she was welcome to trade me places. I was stacking on the wagon. She said she'd get used to it...

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Managed to get a bit more hay baled today even though the sun wouldn't cooperate. Started baling about 2 and baled one test bale that was good. Second bale was a little heavy and felt like it had more moisture than I like although it should keep ok. Waited for another 45 minutes and started baling again and that was better. Glad to get it done as tomorrow has showers and thunderstorms in the forecast.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Managed to get a bit more hay baled today even though the sun wouldn't cooperate. Started baling about 2 and baled one test bale that was good. Second bale was a little heavy and felt like it had more moisture than I like although it should keep ok. Waited for another 45 minutes and started baling again and that was better. Glad to get it done as tomorrow has showers and thunderstorms in the forecast.
Hate to say it but we're starting to get a little dry in my neck of the woods. We're never more than two weeks away from drought anyway...

·
Registered
7,952 Posts
Hate to say it but we're starting to get a little dry in my neck of the woods
Here to. We need some rain. We got .29 Monday morning and it soaked in in no time. Sunday is our next chance.
We are moving equipment this afternoon to another field and cutting about 3 miles away. 10 acres approximately. Haven’t seen it this year, Cousin says it’s real tall.

121 - 140 of 198 Posts