Green Tractor Talk banner
141 - 160 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Hate to say it but we're starting to get a little dry in my neck of the woods. We're never more than two weeks away from drought anyway...
Yep, moisture is precious in the summer. We would have been done with the first cutting of hay if I'd been willing to cut and bale on Father's day. Our youngest daughter made a trip home and I spent the time with her rather than on the tractor. They hay had to wait- those day are precious.

Supposedly rain/thunderstorms today. Some showers tomorrow and then good hay weather Fri/Sat/Sunday. If so, that will wrap up the first cutting and we'll have about 80% of what we need. Second cutting is coming along on the fields we cut early so it should be ok although a little extra hay never hurt anyone.

·
Registered
New 4044R cab, MX6 Cutter, 440 FEL, Aftermarket mirrors
348 Posts
Yep, moisture is precious in the summer. We would have been done with the first cutting of hay if I'd been willing to cut and bale on Father's day. Our youngest daughter made a trip home and I spent the time with her rather than on the tractor. They hay had to wait- those day are precious.

Supposedly rain/thunderstorms today. Some showers tomorrow and then good hay weather Fri/Sat/Sunday. If so, that will wrap up the first cutting and we'll have about 80% of what we need. Second cutting is coming along on the fields we cut early so it should be ok although a little extra hay never hurt anyone.
We've got a slight (41%) chance for showers here today. Usually doesn't pan out this time of year. We'll get about 27 drops, then humidity will go to 3000% and make it miserable.
The old man shuts down haying here until after Fair week. His grandkids come first. (One of the very few things we agree on.)

And, we spend all day cooking at the Fair, so kinda makes it tricky to get hay put up. We, as in the entire family, own a small food vending operation. We'll cook ribeye steaks for the next 4 days like they're goin outta style. We average 1000 steaks at this Fair every year. Laclede County Fair is next week, so we'll get to do it all over again. Thankfully, we retired from cooking at our State Fair. Missouri Cattlemen owns the Beef House at our State Fairgrounds, and each county sends its members to cook for their day. Don't miss those days much either. 😁

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
We've got a slight (41%) chance for showers here today. Usually doesn't pan out this time of year. We'll get about 27 drops, then humidity will go to 3000% and make it miserable.
The old man shuts down haying here until after Fair week. His grandkids come first. (One of the very few things we agree on.)

And, we spend all day cooking at the Fair, so kinda makes it tricky to get hay put up. We, as in the entire family, own a small food vending operation. We'll cook ribeye steaks for the next 4 days like they're goin outta style. We average 1000 steaks at this Fair every year. Laclede County Fair is next week, so we'll get to do it all over again. Thankfully, we retired from cooking at our State Fair. Missouri Cattlemen owns the Beef House at our State Fairgrounds, and each county sends its members to cook for their day. Don't miss those days much either. 😁
Rib eye- I can smell them from here! That's a lot of steak- wish I was closer and could enjoy one.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #147 ·

·
Registered
9,159 Posts

·
Registered
9,159 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Ram 3500 CTD
412 Posts
My fields are finally cut and baled. This is the first cutting and it was very tall. I lease my fields to some local farmers. They farm a few hundred acres and also work alternating shifts at a nearby steel mill… can make it pretty hard to have the right weather and the time off simultaneously. I used to cut these fields (approximately 25 acres) with a Woods XT172 several times a season so I am glad to gave someone else doing it and earning a little money. I don’t get paid much and have a had a few people offer more but I like the guys that do it.

Attachments

·
Registered
348 Posts
My fields are finally cut and baled. This is the first cutting and it was very tall. I lease my fields to some local farmers. They farm a few hundred acres and also work alternating shifts at a nearby steel mill… can make it pretty hard to have the right weather and the time off simultaneously. I used to cut these fields (approximately 25 acres) with a Woods XT172 several times a season so I am glad to gave someone else doing it and earning a little money. I don’t get paid much and have a had a few people offer more but I like the guys that do it.
Looks like good hay! Nice and thick.

·
Registered
7,952 Posts
Little road trip video on the 4010. Taking one of the rakes to field we are cutting today. Nice day humidity dropped this afternoon.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 ·
Looks like good hay! Nice and thick.
Beat me to it!

x2

·
Registered
348 Posts
Little road trip video on the 4010. Taking one of the rakes to field we are cutting today. Nice day humidity dropped this afternoon.
That's usually my favorite part! Moving equipment on to the next place...

·
Registered
2022 Ram 3500 CTD
412 Posts
There's steel mills operating? I thought they all closed down decades ago. I grew up in Hammond, near the Gary line.
Yes…SDI or Steel Dynamics. A very large employer around here. Approximately 10k employees. Headquartered in Fort Wayne, In.

·
Registered
7,952 Posts
That's usually my favorite part! Moving equipment on to the next place.
Yep and only cool part, running down the road at full tilt. Gotta love the old girl.

141 - 160 of 198 Posts