·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
45,343 Posts

·
Premium Member
Tator
17,064 Posts
My fields are finally cut and baled
I’m so glad I forgot to take pics of our windows Monday, they DID NOT look like that.😏😂

·
Registered
2022 Ram 3500 CTD
412 Posts
I don’t know much about hay so I’m not sure of the quality but there is always a lot of it. My renters have a cattle operation so I’m sure it’s for that. I know it’s not big dollar horse hay. One of my friends has a boutique hay operation and my hay looks nothing like his.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Our hay season started today. Cut 2 small fields. We like to start with the small fields just in case we have any equipment trouble. Things went smoothly so far. Hope to bale this over the weekend.

Plant Sky Natural landscape Tree People in nature
Tire Plant Wheel Tractor Sky
Sky Plant Wheel Tree Tire
Sky Plant Plant community Tree Natural landscape
Wheel Sky Tire Plant Tractor
Sky Plant Tree Natural landscape Land lot

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
45,343 Posts
Going offline for a bit. Long week. Have one of our big fields down. 50 acres as well as a 60 acre custom job with rain predicted late Sunday.
Fields look nice.
When I see pictures like yours and others all I see is $ signs. Can't buy good hay around us.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #168 ·
Going offline for a bit. Long week. Have one of our big fields down. 50 acres as well as a 60 acre custom job with rain predicted late Sunday.
Good luck!

·
Registered
7,952 Posts
Gonna cut another field today. With the field yesterday and the one I’ll do today we will be done with first cutting. Bale tomorrow and Saturday. I’ll try to get a little video with GoPr again of cutting. Gotta get some editing skills.

·
Premium Member
Tator
17,064 Posts
50 acres as well as a 60 acre custom job with rain predicted late Sunday.
That's a lot of hay, especially when you're being pushed by the weather.
Can't buy good hay around us.
We've got people around us asking 7 to 9 dollars per small square bale, gonna be a lot of hungry animals this winter. We're selling ours for $4 per, we're still making money at that, I sold those round bales the other night for $35 each, I think that's fair.

I believe I'm going to try and talk my FIL into mowing the final 5-6 acres tomorrow, then we'll be done with first and we can take a break and watch it grow back.

·
Registered
7,952 Posts

·
Premium Member
Tator
17,064 Posts
Same $ here Pat

That a heck of a good deal. 4x5’s are going for $60-$70 here.
Same here.
Just for the record, my FIL and I are not in agreeance on our price points. I think we should be at least $5 for a small square and $40-50 for round, but, he's still the boss.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #174 · (Edited)

We've got people around us asking 7 to 9 dollars per small square bale, gonna be a lot of hungry animals this winter. We're selling ours for $4 per, we're still making money at that, I sold those round bales the other night for $35 each, I think that's fair.

I believe I'm going to try and talk my FIL into mowing the final 5-6 acres tomorrow, then we'll be done with first and we can take a break and watch it grow back.
It depends on the market and quality of hay. We are buying more than we need (our fields aren't big enough for the current animal needs), but good horse hay is harder to come by, compared to ditch hay or stuff that got caught in the rain, etc. So for the "better" stuff we are paying $70/round bale.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts

Your prices would be more than fair around here, especially for the small square bales. I doubt you can buy any here for less than $5 even now during hay season. Round bale pricing is closer to your level depending on size, quality and if it's picked up right out of the field.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
45,343 Posts
Just for the record, my FIL and I are not in agreeance on our price points. I think we should be at least $5 for a small square and $40-50 for round, but, he's still the boss.
2-3 years ago.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I really enjoyed your video. I also ha a 5636 skid steer and have been considering an accumulator/ fork setup like that. Do you find it pretty successful?? I would imagine you need bales as well made as those. Solid bales are always my goal. Ken
The gehl does a good job...pro's are it is easy to see what your doing and extremely manuverable...cons are its hot....slow ground speed ....limited reach height...I can use a tractor if needed but it's convenient to use the skid loader and not have to switch implents around....most of the time I do everything alone so having things hooked up n ready is a time saver....that Era of gehls were very user friendly used to have 4 of them now just 1

·
Registered
2,758 Posts

We didn't sell a bale under 8$ of last year's hay....this year We are being inundated with calls ...we always have sellers 4-6$ ....seems to be less In the field hay on the market this year...so winter prices I suspect will exceed 10$.....we are holding hay back till winter excepting for special cases or customers....I am also doing a close look at cost to produce hay this year especially with fuel costs I may post when I get done

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #179 ·
The wife just texted me saying that we are taking delivery of 10 round bales tonight! That would put us in a great spot, with 2nd and (hopefully - weather permitting) 3rd cutting.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The gehl does a good job...pro's are it is easy to see what your doing and extremely manuverable...cons are its hot....slow ground speed ....limited reach height...I can use a tractor if needed but it's convenient to use the skid loader and not have to switch implents around....most of the time I do everything alone so having things hooked up n ready is a time saver....that Era of gehls were very user friendly used to have 4 of them now just 1
The Gehl like yours and mine are quite simple and tough. They seem to just keep on keeping on.

161 - 180 of 198 Posts