Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to do some muck dredging in my pond as soon as Mudd's get a 20" bucket back in stock.
My pond has a couple of tight areas where I might need to take the FEL off to get some angle (150 degrees rotation just isn't enough):)
The manual for the 260B says the FEL is required to be on the tractor for counter weight. I need some advice about what else I can put up front to offset the FEL removal. Am going to get the front weight attachment and some weights but not sure that that will be enough given the FEL moment arm is way out there.
BTW, not digging just dragging the muck out/up.
Any Ideas?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
You can hang 5 suitcase weights directly on the front. The heavy hitch bracket that holds 7 weights would be better.
Besides the counterweight of the fel. It also provides stabilization for using the backhoe. Without it, your tires and front axle are taking the forces while backhoe digging. You may lose ability to break hard ground without it.

You might try setting the loader ends on the ground without an attachment also. That would take up a little less space.

·
Registered
272 Posts
You might try setting the loader ends on the ground without an attachment also. That would take up a little less space.
This makes sense to me (but I don't have a backhoe). Especially if you were to put an old 2x12, 2x6, or 4x4 between them for flotation and stability.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys,
Thought about no FEL bucket. but I think the issue is going to be more than a bucket length. Have to squeeze in between wife's flowering trees and the edge of the pond..
Did not think about the FEL stabilization, good point.
Not breaking ground, just scraping muck.

·
Premium Member
Early 2017 Vintage 1025R TLB (260/H120)
1,887 Posts
Thanks guys,
Thought about no FEL bucket. but I think the issue is going to be more than a bucket length. Have to squeeze in between wife's flowering trees and the edge of the pond..
Did not think about the FEL stabilization, good point.
Not breaking ground, just scraping muck.
Scraping muck is going to be a pretty good load if there's any suction.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Maybe try taking the bucket off and hanging weights in the bumper. Should save you space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
272 Posts
There is the old saying "There's one way to find out"... Since you are smart enough to ask if anyone has ever done it, I have no doubt that you are smart enough to take it very easy and slow and see if it feels OK. AND if it doesn't you will find another way instead of pushing it into an unsafe or potentially damaging situation. Good luck! 👍

1 - 8 of 8 Posts