Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most likely this is a dumb question but between weekly mowing should the mower deck remain in its cutting height
position or should it be lowered onto its wheels?

I'm wondering whether extended time supported by the lift arms is not advisable...just not sure.

Would appreciate any recommendations.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Most likely this is a dumb question but between weekly mowing should the mower deck remain in its cutting height

I'm wondering whether extended time supported by the lift arms is not advisable...just not sure.

If you mean when it is parked, it is OK to lower the deck onto the wheels. Otherwise, the anti-scalp wheels are not meant to carry the weight of the mower deck when mowing. You are supposed park the tractor on a flat surface, set the desired mowing height, and adjust the wheels to about 1/4 inch off the ground.

·
Registered
22,728 Posts

It’s a very good habit to get into with any and all implements. They all should be set on the ground when parking the tractor.

As said above, it won’t hurt anything setting the deck on the wheels when still.

When your tractor gets to be 10+ years old and approaching 1000 hours the hydraulics will settle when parked and the deck will end up on the ground anyway.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you mean when it is parked, it is OK to lower the deck onto the wheels. Otherwise, the anti-scalp wheels are not meant to carry the weight of the mower deck when mowing. You are supposed park the tractor on a flat surface, set the desired mowing height, and adjust the wheels to about 1/4 inch off the ground.
Thanks! I knew about the wheel adjustment when mowing.. I left the mower at its cutting height overnight and just started wondering if I could just
leave it set there since I use the tractor for other work or would it cause problems with the lift hydraulics.

After mowing, I would need to raise the mower, set height control to #1 or install setting then lower the mower to wheels for parking... I just was wondering
if I could simply leave the mower at its cutting height when parked.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks! I knew about the wheel adjustment when mowing.. I left the mower at its cutting height overnight and just started wondering if I could just
leave it set there since I use the tractor for other work or would it cause problems with the lift hydraulics.

After mowing, I would need to raise the mower, set height control to #1 or install setting then lower the mower to wheels for parking... I just was wondering
if I could simply leave the mower at its cutting height when parked.
Yes you can. The mower would be resting on the lift cam stop taking the pressure off the hydraulics.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes you can. The mower would be resting on the lift cam stop taking the pressure off the hydraulics.
Thanks very much! This would give me an option of leaving the mower deck in the cutting position or lowering the deck to its wheels for longer term storage.
I assume the wheels are sturdy enough to hold the deck weight when not mowing.

·
Premium Member
12,239 Posts
Thanks very much! This would give me an option of leaving the mower deck in the cutting position or lowering the deck to its wheels for longer term storage.
I assume the wheels are sturdy enough to hold the deck weight when not mowing.
And then some...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts