Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Will the drive belt on a 62d slip after 150 hrs?

I recently pulled the blades on my 62d to sharpen and balance. Things went well and the deck seemed to be working just fine. Toward the end of my first mowing session (about an hour in on the sharpened blades) I hit a tree root that was sticking up above grade. It wasn't a violent hit, but it definitely ground the root a bit. At first there was no problem as I drove away. But within a minute, there was a short burst of metal on metal noise.. sounded like the blade hitting the deck housing... Then fine for 30 seconds, bl then another burst. This happened three more times before I shut the mower down to inspect.

When I flipped the deck up, I observed the three blades had change orientation with each other. I.e when I installed the blades after sharpening, I had the middle blade positioned out of phase with the outer blades to maximize spacing between blade tips. The blades were now almost all lined up. It appears the middle blade and the right most blade (closest to discharge chute) were making contact.

I figured that the belt was slipping and sure enough, I was able to hold the middle blade in position and rotate the other two blades by hand. Should that happen with the deck off the mower? Or should the belt be tight enough to hold blades fixed? As I said, I might have 150 hours on the belt over the last 5 years, which seems young. Any other thoughts on what might be happening here?

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
That is normal on all of the mower decks I have owned. Before I started using a impact wrench to remove the blades, I used a block of wood to hold the blades in place. I could turn each blade separately to get the blade in position for the block. Just make sure your belt tensioner is putting pressure on the belt.

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
The 62D deck blades aren't indexed and belt slippage can and will occur.

With the deck removed and standing up align the blades tip to tip and note any interference. You may need to loosen and "center" a couple of adjacent blades on their respective spindles to gain some clearance. Each blade should line up and be at the same height with the adjacent blade when they're aligned. There should be 1/16" to 1/8" clearance between the blade tips. If that's not the case you may have "tweaked" the deck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 62D deck blades aren't indexed and belt slippage can and will occur.

With the deck removed and standing up align the blades tip to tip and note any interference. You may need to loosen and "center" a couple of adjacent blades on their respective spindles to gain some clearance. Each blade should line up and be at the same height with the adjacent blade when they're aligned. There should be 1/16" to 1/8" clearance between the blade tips. If that's not the case you may have "tweaked" the deck.
Ok.. So I checked the blades this morning and the tips of the center blade and the blade closest to the discharge chute have zero clearance and touch if/when they are aligned in that position. I swapped in an extra set of blades to verify that it was not the blades and same problem... Visually, it looks like the blade closest to the discharge chute protrudes out of the bottom of the mower deck more than the other two.. i.e. the spindle that the blade is mounted on is no longer vertical but angled slightly, thus decreasing the gap between blade tips. So... I'm going to assume the worst here.... in that my deck is "tweaked". Is there anything else in that spindle/sheave assembly that can move causing the misalignment? Or am I into structural deck issues? Does this seem like somethin fixable? I'm thinking my next step is to get the deck to a dealer to have them look at it. I'm not looking forward to that bill.

Thanks for the quick replies all... Very much appreciate the information when I checked this morning.

Let me know what you think.

Brian

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,765 Posts
I'd check for a bent spindle.
The deck is not old enough to have metal fatigue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd check for a bent spindle.
The deck is not old enough to have metal fatigue.
I'm looking at the sheave on that spindle under the load ramp and it does wobble when I rotate the blade... I initially was thinking bent spindle, but didn't think there was that much play in there with bearings supporting it... I'll see if I can pull it apart to get a better look at it. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Ok.. So I checked the blades this morning and the tips of the center blade and the blade closest to the discharge chute have zero clearance and touch if/when they are aligned in that position. I swapped in an extra set of blades to verify that it was not the blades and same problem... Visually, it looks like the blade closest to the discharge chute protrudes out of the bottom of the mower deck more than the other two.. i.e. the spindle that the blade is mounted on is no longer vertical but angled slightly, thus decreasing the gap between blade tips. So... I'm going to assume the worst here.... in that my deck is "tweaked". Is there anything else in that spindle/sheave assembly that can move causing the misalignment? Or am I into structural deck issues? Does this seem like somethin fixable? I'm thinking my next step is to get the deck to a dealer to have them look at it. I'm not looking forward to that bill.

Thanks for the quick replies all... Very much appreciate the information when I checked this morning.

Let me know what you think.

Brian
It is hard to diagnose from over a 1000 miles away. Before running to the dealer I would look at other things. Get the deck off and tipped up so you can see what is going on. You probably already have. Is the spindle shaft bent? With the belt off you should be able to turn things by hand a little easier and see what is going on. While possible to bend the deck I would be shocked if that happened. I would think there are other points of failure (spindle) that would go first. If the deck is bent, I don't know what the fix would be short of a new deck. They do sell just the shell of the deck but that would mean moving all the spindles, gear box and other stuff over. It would be cheaper if you provided the sweat equity. If you want the dealer to do it, you might be getting expensive but I have never priced out an entire deck swap like that.

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
It sounds like you either have a bent spindle (the shaft is sold separately), a damaged spindle housing (aluminum; remove and check closely for cracks) OR the deck itself is "tweaked" where the spindle housing bolts through.

If the deck is tweaked you may be able to straighten it by removing the pulley on top and using a long pipe as leverage to twist the deck in the right direction. My ex-fire Chief neighbor did the same with his 62C deck on a 2305 and we straightened it using this method. It was the same spindle as yours. Closest to the discharge chute.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
It sounds like you either have a bent spindle (the shaft is sold separately), a damaged spindle housing (aluminum; remove and check closely for cracks) OR the deck itself is "tweaked" where the spindle housing bolts to through.

If the deck is tweaked you may be able to straighten it by removing the pulley on top and using a long pipe as leverage to twist the deck in the right direction. My ex-fire Chief neighbor did the same with his 62C deck on a 2305 and we straightened it using this method. It was the same spindle as yours. Closest to the discharge chute.
Can you straighten a 7 iron deck? They seem pretty thick to me. Maybe with some heat to motivate things. I would verify it isn't a spindle first. That is much easier to address.

EDIT: I guess he posted about the same time I was that he did see the blade wobbling so it is most likely a spindle shaft or something in the spindle assembly. Get it apart and you will find what is messed up. That is something that you can fix without a trip to the dealer. Well you will need parts I guess.

·
Registered
8,501 Posts
Here is the link to the actual deck for your mower. I think this is your deck, 62c on a Generation 1 2025r tractor,

John Deere Parts Catalog

Note, the area where the spindles mount through the deck are not the structural strength of the leading edge or end of the decks. In fact, you can see just how Frank (SGS) was describing straightening the deck material.

Personally, I would attempt to straighten the deck spindle mounting area WITHOUT heat first. I would go slow and easy with the effort and not risk over bending it.

Using leverage, you should be able to bend the deck mounting surface back into place with some patience. If you can't bend it without heating it, then add a little heat to the specific area. It will damage the paint / powder coating and could also take some strength out of the deck if its overheated.

When the rotating blades strike an object like that root, the blade will remove as much material as it can, but the load forces on the one end of the blade are massive and something has to give. If the blades are in good shape, they are pretty hard to bend (but it happens).

Bearings also take a real hit so make sure the spindle bearings are not damaged and the spindle shaft itself is true.

Another common thing when striking something like the root is it can significantly tighten the blade center bolt. I have had some where I needed a breaker bar to get the center bolt out of the spindle. Don't be surprised if that is an issue.

Here is the parts illustration to your spindle assembly also.....Note there is a plate on top of the deck through which each spindle mounts and check this plate to make sure it didn't get bent or crushed in the impact.

John Deere Parts Catalog

I would be very surprised that the deck itself would need to be replaced. There should be a way to straighten this one. The tolerances are so tight for the deck to properly cut, it doesn't take much of a bend to cause clearance issues.

Please post any photos that you can and also what you find when working on this. This isn't something which happens real often and I think it would be important for others to know about what you find and how you repair it.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,765 Posts
IMO, I highly doubt the deck is bent or twisted. A bent/twisted deck will usually cause a blade not to sit level not move it left or right, fore or aft.
I've bent a few spindles in my day but only bent/twisted one deck that was really old.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
A little off topic :hijacked: The plate SulleyBear mentioned is not used in all 62" decks. It might be worth adding. I think they are only included on the drive over decks. My x485's 62C deck does not have these plates.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All fixed

It sounds like you either have a bent spindle (the shaft is sold separately), a damaged spindle housing (aluminum; remove and check closely for cracks) OR the deck itself is "tweaked" where the spindle housing bolts through.

After further disassembly today, I discovered that the spindle was bent AND the spindle housing /bearing assembly (cast aluminum piece) was cracked as well. A quick trip the the dealer for a replacement and I had it back together and mowing this evening. Thanks everyone for the great information and advice throughout the day. Very much appreciated!

Brian

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
After further disassembly today, I discovered that the spindle was bent AND the spindle housing /bearing assembly (cast aluminum piece) was cracked as well. A quick trip the the dealer for a replacement and I had it back together and mowing this evening. Thanks everyone for the great information and advice throughout the day. Very much appreciated!

Brian
You lucked out and got it repaired and back to work! :good2:

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I figured as much. While I don't doubt it is possible to bend the deck, it is more likely the spindle will get taken out first.

·
Premium Member
14,415 Posts
Glad to hear you got it fixed, and only a spindle and housing assembly .

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Did yours have the spindle plate SulleyBear pointed out? If so, was it bent?

Did you get an assembled spindle/housing/bearings, or just needed parts?

Did you get a new belt? I wonder if the old belt was stretched?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts