Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok just got this tractor and deck couple weeks ago. With 57 hours on total package. Now i have time today to go through the mower deck and clean it up. Got the deck underside cleaned and painted. I think the previous owner is somone who wears pajamas and slippers to wal-mart. Talk about lazy. I would bet he never took this deck off or cleaned it.
Any way, look at these blades. Im guessing im in the market for a new set. What would make the non sharpened side rounded like that? Also, when i buy new ones should i get regualr or gator style blades, thanks guys!

·
Super Moderator
8,191 Posts
He must have had very sandy soil. I'd go for the high lift blades. They'll move more grass out and you won't get as much sludge accumulation under the deck.:good2:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,080 Posts
IMO, Depending on your mowing circumstances, area, grass type and how often you mow may dictate which blades to get. Ask you dealer which blades are more popular for your area.

Reactions: rtgt and aaronmach1

·
Registered
23,275 Posts
The factory blades on my 62D did the exact same thing. After running Deere mowers all my life I had never seen this.

All I can attribute it to is the blades rubbing against build up under the deck. I don't have sandy soil and never any scalping. Even with regularly cleaning the deck through the season the wings on the blades were worn down flat.

Went with Gator blades and haven't even had to sharpen them after 1.5 seasons now - fixed!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I use gator blades. They stay sharper longer and do a better job mulching and moving material. As far as I know, JD only offers one style blade for this deck, and in my opinion, it's a poor match for a deck used on a CUT.

2013 Silverado 3500 D CC, 2015 Jayco Eagle Premier 375bhfs

·
Super Moderator
8,191 Posts
I use gator blades. They stay sharper longer and do a better job mulching and moving material. As far as I know, JD only offers one style blade for this deck, and in my opinion, it's a poor match for a deck used on a CUT.

2013 Silverado 3500 D CC, 2015 Jayco Eagle Premier 375bhfs
Here's the link to the "High Lift" blades for 62C & 62D decks: John Deere Mower Blades Kit M145719 - Set of 3 Blades

More on the subject here: http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/implements-attachments/29369-hi-lift-blade-62-d-mmw.html

Reactions: rtgt and aaronmach1

·
Registered
12,229 Posts
I like Gator Blades for the same reasons as above. They keep the underside of the deck cleaner and hold the sharp edge longer.

·
Super Moderator
8,191 Posts
I like Gator Blades for the same reasons as above. They keep the underside of the deck cleaner and hold the sharp edge longer.
Might have to try 'em next time around.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
12,229 Posts
Might have to try 'em next time around.
It took a long time to get me away from JD blades, but I now have them on both mowers and really like them. I do think they take more power, but each tractor has power to spare.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It took a long time to get me away from JD blades, but I now have them on both mowers and really like them. I do think they take more power, but each tractor has power to spare.
what brand are you using? got a link?

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
I like Gator blades, they are on both of my decks. :thumbup1gif:

Reactions: DRobinson

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
there seema to be a few brands of gator blades. im thinking about the set on ebay called predator 2 blades. in my one link i posted.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
there seema to be a few brands of gator blades. im thinking about the set on ebay called predator 2 blades. in my one link i posted.
There is only one Gator blade, and it is made by Oregon. The others are copies.

·
Banned
419 Posts
Gator blades

There is only one Gator blade, and it is made by Oregon. The others are copies.
Randy your right Oregon is the only true Gator bald manufacture. In my 24 years at the cemetery mowing over 150 acres every two weeks in sand I can assure you they are the cats meow. But one thing DO NOT use them on recycler decks. There is some thin in the design that they will not cut the taller buckhorn stems. Ran a JD belly mower on a 855 for 2 years did not like the cut. Then went to JD front mount and was better but still missed a lot of the taller stiff weeds. Then went to Toro read discharge and that was worse. Then tried a Toro with the conventional deck and was OK. Finally settled on the front mount recycler decks from Toro for around the head stone areas. Even tried Land Pride bat wing town behind for the larger unused areas and that was a joke.
Then tried a Toro 455D which is a 11 ft mower folding wind mower. Stayed with that for the large areas and had a blower on it for the winter.

I would buy over 100 blades a season. If it was a wet season I was OK but if dry the sand was like a sand blaster on any of the blades. Maybe a week and they were ready to be changed. The Oregon regional rep came out and we experimented for one cutting season. One style on one more another on another. Even after all that there was still buckhorn and even dandelion stems that were left standing. But the strange thing and we took video of it at the time. If you drove through a heavy dandelion section in the spring and left some standing. Then stopped and backed up everything was cut. Even a side by side same mower style and same bladed cutting forward would miss and backing up everything cut. Why we never found out and the engineers sis not either. One fall we ground up the leaves before we blew then with large blowers on the machines. Found out that you could drive over the leaves and they would be chopped and still laying on top of the grass. But back up and they were almost invisible. I know very strange but very true. Every year after we settled on the machine and blade ordered 130 a season. SAND WILL TEAR UP A BLADE. The biggest thing was the sail that makes the suction would be sharper than a razor. The sand actually ground a grove along the area where the sail and blade meet. It seemed that the broken sail area broke the wind and did not let the sand grind away as fast. The worse thing with the Deere decks was the deck cracked around the spindles in fact two spindles fell off completely on the front mount decks until Deer made the rings that bolted on reinforcing the spindle area.

·
Registered
12,229 Posts
what brand are you using? got a link?
Mine are Oregon. I bought them at the JD dealer. If you go to the Oregon website, I believe there is a conversion from JD part number to Oregon part number. If you can't find it, let me know and I will search it out.

Reactions: aaronmach1

·
Registered
23,275 Posts
Same here - with all the Deere mowers in my lifetime I've always had great results with the factory blades - never even thought about replacements like the Gators.

I don't know if the makeup of the blades have changed or if it is the deck design on this 62D but finally tried the Gators on it and very happy with them.

·
Registered
12,229 Posts
Same here - with all the Deere mowers in my lifetime I've always had great results with the factory blades - never even thought about replacements like the Gators.

I don't know if the makeup of the blades have changed or if it is the deck design on this 62D but finally tried the Gators on it and very happy with them.
I have touched up the first set that I put on my 445 on the grinder. They do not seem to be made of the same steel as the JD blades. The sound and feel on the grinder is different.

·
Registered
23,275 Posts
Why would you buy something like this on eBay? Even if a vendor might state they are original Gator blades how can you trust it?

What you want are Gator blades made by Oregon. I did an internet search once I had my correct model number and bought them from an on-line vendor who specializes in lawn and turf products. There was a thread last year where folks posted where they bought theirs as there are a couple good vendors out there but can't find it now.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,080 Posts
Maybe it's time to try the Gator blades, again. Didn't have much luck with them on the Toro Z Master years ago. Could be the grass/weeds we have here. :dunno:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts