Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Running into an issue with breaking the sway chain pin/bolt that attaches the sway chain, three point arm, and the upper draft arm together. I have broken three of them, 2 on one side and one on the other of a new style 2025r. The pin does not shear, the threaded area shears off which then lets the whole assembly fall apart.

One was broken with 600lbs of ballast on the machine, two more have been broken with a BB2060 box blade on. All of the times a pin broke the implement was in the air. Twice the sway chains were tight, the last time I left it with maybe 2-3" of slop if you pushed on the implement.

What am I doing wrong with this setup? Nuts are tightened until it snugs up on the shoulder. I dont feel like I am abusing the three point and any more I am attempting to be gentile with everything as I move around. I dont know what to adjust or change to get it to stop breaking the threads off. All the tools are less than the rated capacity of the three point. Its getting to the point where I dont want to take this machine off property because im worried I will break it away from tools and parts to fix.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
machine now has 220 or so hours on it.

I thought that too, when I set the links I am careful to let the tool sit naturally and tighten evenly on each side. I set them on a flat concrete surface that is level as well.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
I’ve never had any problems and I have the same machine with the same number of hours. I’d say my ballast is maybe a little less, around 500 pounds or a little less.

·
Registered
27,800 Posts
Is this a new machine? Kinda wondering if the sway link is being pulled when the draft arms are being raised.
I thought that too, when I set the links I am careful to let the tool sit naturally and tighten evenly on each side. I set them on a flat concrete surface that is level as well.
I made the important part in bold text.

You can adjust those links with the implement on the ground all day long and not see an issue. The thing is that the geometry of the 3 point changes as the arms raise. While the links may be fine when the implement is on the ground it can get super tight and bind by the time the hitch is raised.

·
Premium Member
4,978 Posts
Pictures please. It would help to see the break and make sure everything is hooked up correctly

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Something ain't right. They shouldn't be breaking like that. Those chains should have a little slack no matter what position the 3pt hitch is at, not just sitting on the ground. They're meant to keep your implement from hitting the rear tires and to prevent the 3pt from stressing the upper rockshaft arms or lower 3pt arms laterally (which is why I think some guys have had the outer snaprings popped off their rockshaft arms).

Reactions: PJR832 and Gizmo2

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
45,829 Posts
I assume you are talking about #6?

Are you certain you have the correct 3 point hitch?

Reactions: PJR832 and AJgrn78

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have mine with about 2" of wiggle when fully raised for whatever I have attached. Might be a dumb question but what direction is the eye pointed where the chains connect to the draft arms? Vertical or horizontal relative to the arms?

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Since you've had them off the machine, any chance they are installed incorrectly on the tractor/axle housing side? This could put them in a plain that's out of alignment with the lower arms, which can cause them to bind and break. That may not be possible with your machine, I don't know. Post some pics of how they are mounted.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
machine now has 220 or so hours on it.

That shouldn't matter, the sway chains and lower arms are mounted inline and supposed to move in the same plain, so they don't bind. If you look at how/where your lower arms attach, and where the sway chains attach, they should be in a level line across them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also experienced the exact issue that quackaddict describes above. My 2025r was purchased new last year and had about 170 hours on it when the part broke. I had a grapple on the front clearing brush and a ballast box on the back when it failed. My local JD dealer said the part was back ordered and wasn’t sure when it would be available. I fortunately found the part online and got back to work after a few days delay. I’ve put another 30 hours of work on the tractor with no further issues.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I made the important part in bold text.

You can adjust those links with the implement on the ground all day long and not see an issue. The thing is that the geometry of the 3 point changes as the arms raise. While the links may be fine when the implement is on the ground it can get super tight and bind by the time the hitch is raised.
I 100% agree 👍🏻

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
45,829 Posts
3 point came with the tractor when new. I cant say for certain its the right one but its what it came with.
Don't rule out the fact that it came with the tractor that it's the correct one. It happens.

·
Premium Member
14,226 Posts
That shouldn't matter, the sway chains and lower arms are mounted inline and supposed to move in the same plain, so they don't bind. If you look at how/where your lower arms attach, and where the sway chains attach, they should be in a level line across them.
I agree.

This is easy enough to check. Adjust the links and then move the hitch through the whole range of motion incrementally and check the tension on the links at each increment.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Mystified. Mine is like the elements shown by Gizmo2's pictures except without #1 (looks like a tension strap). I broke the turnbuckles and bent the rod on which the 2 lower arms were attached on the 4010 once when I failed to adequately tighten the turnbuckles. Need a picture of what you're talking about with chains and straps. I always kept the turnbuckles in place with tension straps up to the tractor fender areas on all 3 tractors I've had. Now with a QH, I just wrap a smaller tension strap around each of them since I never touch them now.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Be nice to see some pics.
Searching shows 2 kinds of anti sway setups on a 2025. Some mounted inside the arms, and some mounted outside.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Make sure you got the correct 3PT. I've seen many instances were a 1025R 3PT set-up is mistakenly installed or given to the owner. The lift link (not sure if that's the correct term, but #17) are shorter on a 1025R. This makes the lower draft arms lift way to high, which in turn could be putting tons of stress on the part that keeps breaking when fully raised. This can be very misleading because the 1025R hitch assembly will pin up to the tractor just fine.

Just something to consider.

Reactions: Gizmo2
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.