Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I were to purchase a 2019 2025r with just a FEL would I be able to easily add the 260B down the road?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Yes.

But, it will be MUCH cheaper and a lot less hassle to just do it NOW if you're ever going to consider it. It's one of those options where it's best to do it at purchase or forever hold your peace. As the machine ages it sometimes can be more cost effective to trade it in for a newer machine with a backhoe. Although, you really still don't make out on the deal typically. The dealer does, and you just get a backhoe for the same payment.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Yes it’s possible. The backhoe just comes as a kit that you could install or have your dealer install. It’s an expensive add on and I figured better to finance now at 0%. You won’t get 0% if you finance it later.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is what I figured. I'm just having a hard time pulling the trigger of a backhoe I only have a few projects for.

·
Super Moderator
4,885 Posts
As a suggestion: If you ever do buy a backhoe, you'll need to Power beyond hydraulic setup to operate it. Order that with your tractor. and have your dealer install it. It's fairly cheap. And, just my own observation but Deere tends to replace the backhoes with new models every 5 or 6 years. If you wait 10 years to buy, there may not be one that fits your machine directly at that point.

·
Registered
243 Posts
That is what I figured. I'm just having a hard time pulling the trigger of a backhoe I only have a few projects for.
The main reason I got mine was to fix my sewer line so it quits freezing. I plan to deal with that sometime in the near future. So far I’ve used it to dig out 2 stumps and dig up and repair a water line. The water line thing came about just a week into ownership of the tractor and I’m glad I didn’t have to dig it up by hand. I also have several stumps, rocks, and landscaping projects coming down the pike. None of these would even be thought about, if not for my backhoe. In my case, having it is creating more work for me.

If nothing else, it serves the purpose of most expensive rear ballast...

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
If you are thinking about it just do it. At the very least do what Jim said and add the power boyond now. Just know it’s going to suck down the road when you could have had it this whole time.

It should cost $100 a month or less. You can see if they are still offering 72-84 months 0% interest to soften the monthly blow. Here at my dealer I’d nave to pay the backhoe off in 6months to have 0% interest.

·
Premium Member
7,888 Posts
How many are a "few" projects?

If you just have a few projects that can be planned, then I would suggest just renting or even hiring it out.

If you can add up enough projects to justify the cost of the backhoe, then I would recommend buying it with the tractor.

I used to be in the "I'll rent it if I need it" category and I only ended up renting a couple times.

Now, I am in the ditch digging, drainage work, pond bank cleaning, culvert installing, dam rebuilding, stump removing category. At some point a new field bed is going to figure into the equation.

The other advantage is I can do this work when it is convenient.

I also agree with the recommendation to get the power beyond if you decide to wait on getting the backhoe if there is even a remote chance that you will add it later.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
How many are a "few" projects?
I am planning to plant 24 6-8ft leylands this fall, dig a footer for a 70ft long CMU retaining wall, and dig footers for new CMU columns for a deck. I'm trying to get the wife on board to just go ahead now. I would probably spend $1200 on renting to just get those projects complete.

EDIT
Now that I think about it more the drains off my gutter downspouts are in pretty rough shape. They could use replacing and a few other downspouts tied in.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I am planning to plant 24 6-8ft leylands this fall, dig a footer for a 70ft long CMU retaining wall, and dig footers for new CMU columns for a deck. I'm trying to get the wife on board to just go ahead now. I would probably spend $1200 on renting to just get those projects complete.

EDIT
Now that I think about it more the drains off my gutter downspouts are in pretty rough shape. They could use replacing and a few other downspouts tied in.
$1200 and getting the machine to and from. Will you have time to start and finish the project without killing yourself during the rental? Will it rain and keep you from the project?

I know with me there is a million projects I want to do with my backhoe. Probably about 80% of them would never get done if I didn’t buy the backhoe. Just a few months ago I pulled the backhoe out just to dig out 10’ of sewer pipe that broke out by the ditch. It would have been a lot more work with a shovel

I have a pond that I want to clean the edges up with the backhoe. Stumps in the back yard that’s been there for 20 years. Clean up the ditch. Things I’d prolly never do if I didn’t have the backhoe.

·
Premium Member
7,888 Posts
$1200 and getting the machine to and from. Will you have time to start and finish the project without killing yourself during the rental? Will it rain and keep you from the project?

I know with me there is a million projects I want to do with my backhoe. Probably about 80% of them would never get done if I didn’t buy the backhoe. Just a few months ago I pulled the backhoe out just to dig out 10’ of sewer pipe that broke out by the ditch. It would have been a lot more work with a shovel

I have a pond that I want to clean the edges up with the backhoe. Stumps in the back yard that’s been there for 20 years. Clean up the ditch. Things I’d prolly never do if I didn’t have the backhoe.
LGM, now all you need is the time off to use the backhoe. :munch:

Convenience is a factor in the decision.

OP, it sounds like you have an idea of what you would use it for, at least short term.

A place to store it is another factor to consider.

To answer the original question, yes it can be added later and it won't make any difference if your pay cash for the backhoe. If you want or need the backhoe and you're not planning on paying cash for it later, buy it with the tractor at 0%.

Want or need doesn't really matter as much as having the means to make the purchase. If you have that covered, then it is just a decision.

Make it and make right for you.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I was in the same quandary when I purchased my first 1025R. I had actually ordered the 1025R w/o the backhoe. Then, I found this site and all the folks that are pros at spending other people's money. :gizmo: All kidding aside, their advice was spot on---it was quite a bit less to order the factory assembled FTLB than to add it later. So less than a week later, I changed the order.

I've only utilized the backhoe once, but I figure in what it saved in rental and chasing time, it paid for half of the backhoe. I have no doubt that I'll reclaim the cost of the backhoe in the next year or two in full.

·
Registered
76 Posts
And I waited too long and all the backhoes that fit my 770 were discontinued and not even findable on Craigslist locally,
which is why I upgraded* to a 1025R FILB. First week I had it, I had an unplanned job - dispose of the remains of the
deer carcass that the coyotes took down right next to my driveway - and get it deep enough that my dogs didn't dig it back up.

* Some people will argue that it was a downgrade, as I went from a 5000 lb machine to a 1400 lb one, but I also went
from a manual to hydrostatic, 23 HP to 25 HP, just enough narrower that it fit through the gates at my new place,
and to a machine with wider tires and a MUCH lower ground loading that I could use to mow over my septic field
without worrying about compaction.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I"ve said this before: a tractor is an investment, not an expense.

When I was considering a backhoe, I figured that it would cost me about $200 per year in depreciation if I kept it 10 to 15 years. Yes, I can rent one once for that much. But there's the scheduling, waiting for delivery, and then trying to pack all your jobs into the brief rental period to get your money's worth. It's much more enjoyable to just have your own backhoe and to use when its easy for you and for as long or short a time as you want. It will be there tomorrow if you don't have time to finish today. If you have an emergency need, the backhoe will be right where you need it. And you'll find a lot more uses for it than you can think of right now.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I"ve said this before: a tractor is an investment, not an expense.

When I was considering a backhoe, I figured that it would cost me about $200 per year in depreciation if I kept it 10 to 15 years. Yes, I can rent one once for that much. But there's the scheduling, waiting for delivery, and then trying to pack all your jobs into the brief rental period to get your money's worth. It's much more enjoyable to just have your own backhoe and to use when its easy for you and for as long or short a time as you want. It will be there tomorrow if you don't have time to finish today. If you have an emergency need, the backhoe will be right where you need it. And you'll find a lot more uses for it than you can think of right now.
Agree 100%!
I had a few minor jobs planned for the backhoe when I bought it with the 2025, but once I got to thinking about it after I ordered it, I came up with a LOT more to do.
Still havent done a ton of work with it as Id hoped by this point, but thats the beauty of owning it. I can get to it when I want to, not schedule things and get to them when I have to, or hope to be done in the allotted time.
Plus, those "emergencies" come up more often that you might think!
I know too that my local rental places dont always have them available. When nice weather hits, they are all rented out.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I was talked out of buying the backhoe for my 1025r back in 2014 by my dealer and my wife. I have since rented a 1025r TLB twice. Since I have no way to haul it cost me 135 delivery and pickup each time. Rental was $250 for a weekend first time and $900 for a week last time. The last time I rented we got 12 inches of rain while I had the backhoe. Couldn’t use it four of days I had it. Other three I worked sun up to sun down to get done. When things were to wet I resorted to a spade to dig something out. There were three other jobs (retaining wall repair, trench for electrical, culvert repair) I could have used one for but instead was me and a spade. Dealer quoted me $7000 to add backhoe, power beyond and swivel seat to my 1025 now. I’ve got a year left to pay on it. New 260b backhoe won’t fit my 1025r I’m told and the 260 is not going to be available much longer. I’ve found a few on Craigslist but never when I have the funds or they are 1500 miles away.

If you have those jobs planned already, get the backhoe if you have space and funds. Deere dealer in my town is offering 0% for 84 months right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
FWIW when I ordered my 2025r, it was $1000 just to install the backhoe if it wasn't factory pre-installed. I asked for them to find one already installed, which they did but I had to wait 6 weeks for it (would have been almost 6 months if I waited for it to come from the factory).

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
As mentioned if ordered with the machine it qualifies for 0% financing. What I didn't see is that if it is ordered as a TLB the backhoe is covered by the same warranty as the tractor. If it is an add on it is only a 1 year warranty as it is an attachment at that point.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Wow a couple more great points. I was leaning away from the backhoe but it has me thinking hard about it again. I think I am settled on a 3025E just whether or not a backhoe.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts