1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
13,277 Posts
my 2006 yr 2520 had 80/90 in it originally-but when i updated my front axle to what the 2720's front axle has inside it-i then switched over to hy-guard--been that way now for several yrs--so i guess if ur front axle hasn't given u no fits with 80/90 in it--i guess use what ya got for now. 🤷‍♂️ its ur decision-ok. good luck

Reactions: farmer52

·
Premium Member
15,296 Posts
my 2006 yr 2520 had 80/90 in it originally-but when i updated my front axle to what the 2720's front axle has inside it-i then switched over to hy-guard--been that way now for several yrs--so i guess if ur front axle hasn't given u no fits with 80/90 in it--i guess use what ya got for now. 🤷‍♂️ its ur decision-ok. good luck
I have a 2720 and the manual says to use GL-5 80W-90 in the front axle.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
13,277 Posts
I have a 2720 and the manual says to use GL-5 80W-90 in the front axle.
only going by what the d-tac and the dealer-shop foreman- back then said to switch the oil out. if i saved that paper i would post it--

·
Premium Member
15,296 Posts
I have a Gen 2 2025R but am getting conflicting answers for the front axle oil.
Dealer sold me GL-5 80W90
My manual says Hy-Gard
and john deeres quick reference sheet says GL-5 also
I know it would be safe to run the hy-gard but can I also run the GL-5? book doesn't list it but dealer and john deere sold it to me
The Gen-2 2025R Manual clearly says to use Hy-Gard.

Front Axle and MFWD Oil

LVAL38329-UN: Viscosity Chart

Use oil viscosity based on the expected air temperature range during the period between oil changes.

The following oils are preferred:
  • John Deere Hy-Gard™
  • John Deere Low Viscosity Hy-Gard™
Other oils may be used if they meet one of the following:

• John Deere Standard JDM J20C
  • John Deere Standard JDM J20D

LVAL38329-UN: Viscosity Chart

Use oil viscosity based on the expected air temperature range during the period between oil changes.

The following oils are preferred:

• John Deere Hy-Gard™
  • John Deere Low Viscosity Hy-Gard™
Other oils may be used if they meet one of the following:

• John Deere Standard JDM J20C
  • John Deere Standard JDM J20D

·
Premium Member
15,296 Posts
only going by what the d-tac and the dealer-shop foreman- back then said to switch the oil out. if i saved that paper i would post it--
That is odd. All versions of the 2520 manual and even the Gen-1 2032R all list GL-5 80W-90.

·
Premium Member
15,296 Posts
My Gen 1 2025R days GL5 80-90 gear oil for front end.
That's true. But the Gen1 and Gen2 2025R are totally different machines with almost no similarities other than the color and model number. :)

·
Super Moderator
8,639 Posts
Hy-Gard or GL5? Use whichever you have on the shelf. It's not a critical application. GL5's generally have better anti-wear and extreme pressure properties intended for simple, non-synchronized applications however the lower viscosity Hy-Gard has improved flow characteristics. Applications using non-pressure lubricated gears, shafts and bushings would probably benefit from the lower viscosity lubricant.

Personally I use Mobil1 75-90 Full Synthetic GL5 in all of my 4WD front axles and have for a long time.......going back to the early 80's. No problems at all.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Hy-Gard or GL5? Use whichever you have on the shelf. It's not a critical application. GL5's generally have better anti-wear and extreme pressure properties intended for simple, non-synchronized applications however the lower viscosity Hy-Gard has improved flow characteristics. Applications using non-pressure lubricated gears, shafts and bushings would probably benefit from the lower viscosity lubricant.

Personally I use Mobil1 75-90 Full Synthetic GL5 in all of my 4WD front axles and have for a long time.......going back to the early 80's. No problems at all.
This is my line of thinking, there's absolutely no reason you can't use traditional gear oil in the front axle. The "switch" to Hygard was much more likely to have a common fluid in the front axle and rear transmission.
Those gears and bearings in the front end are essentially no different than when the tractors came with gear oil in the front axles. I would also bet the farm that gear oil protects against wear better, being a much heavier weight oil.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
I have a 2019 2025r and had the same question when changing my axle oil. I also ask my dealer the same question and their head mechanic told me go with GL-5 but I was still uncomfortable about it untill I drained the fluid and it was gear oil. So I figured what came out I'll put back in. The gear oil takes forever to drain into the lower gear cases so i usually wait an hour and recheck for proper level. I sometimes wonder if thats why they changed to Hy-Gard™ so that it would fill faster.

·
Registered
13,277 Posts
IIRC---the 2520's was having issues with the front axle pushing oil out the front side gear cases--i mean at the knuckle--i'm hoping thats the correct word for it-i know where mined leaked at-and others from pics. but maybe i got the words wrong--i have read posts on here about fellas who drilled holes in the top of the dip stick so air could escape.

i never tried that -but since i replaced most of my front axle gear cases and the internals--added low guard oil no leaks-i should drain the oil this spring and put fresh in it-but heck last summer i doubt if i put 50 hrs on it. since buying the x475 the 2520 doesn't hardly move anymore.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
This is my line of thinking, there's absolutely no reason you can't use traditional gear oil in the front axle. The "switch" to Hygard was much more likely to have a common fluid in the front axle and rear transmission.
Those gears and bearings in the front end are essentially no different than when the tractors came with gear oil in the front axles. I would also bet the farm that gear oil protects against wear better, being a much heavier weight oil.
My local service manager put it this way....”gear lube would be just fine, but so it Hygard. If Hygard is good enough for the final drives in the rear of the tractor (which does most of the work), then it’s good enough for the front.”
I haven’t switched to gear lube in my 4720, but I am tempted. I change it far more often than what the book calls for, and it’s always dark gray when I do drain it. I pretty much change it when I change engine oil now, because of how it looks. I do use regular Hygard, not low vis
My x748 gets gear lube in the front.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
The gear oil takes forever to drain into the lower gear cases so i usually wait an hour and recheck for proper level. I sometimes wonder if thats why they changed to Hy-Gard™ so that it would fill faster.
Maybe so, and it does drain more thoroughly too I’m sure.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
The OM for my 2000 4200 shows Low Vis Hy-Gard in the transmission and front axle. Interesting to see newer models listing GL-5 in the front axle.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts