Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When making a turn I notice the front tire on the outside of the turn digging in or dragging . Noticeable in grass or gravel
Never noticed this on other tractors .

Is this due to the type of tires (R4) . All the other tractors I've had have had ribbed front tires.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
136 Posts
Mine did this when it was new. It turns out the parking brake engages the differential lock when activated and if the adjusting nut is too tight the differential lock is essentially engaged all of the time. I jacked up the rear of the tractor and could see that the rear axle was locked. I backed adjusted the nut to allow the parking brake linkage to "relax" which in turn allowed the differential lock to "disengage". The adjustment took care of the problem.

·
Banned
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine did this when it was new. It turns out the parking brake engages the differential lock when activated and if the adjusting nut is too tight the differential lock is essentially engaged all of the time. I jacked up the rear of the tractor and could see that the rear axle was locked. I backed adjusted the nut to allow the parking brake linkage to "relax" which in turn allowed the differential lock to "disengage". The adjustment took care of the problem.
Would this also effect the front wheels ?

·
Super Moderator
5,703 Posts
So the problem is corrected now? The parking brake doesn't affect the front wheels.

·
Registered
23,595 Posts
So the problem is corrected now? The parking brake doesn't affect the front wheels.
But...if the differential is locked (via the brake pedal on these models) then I can see the the front end pushing when turning on soft ground.

Just conjecture on my part......

Reactions: PJR832

·
Super Moderator
5,703 Posts
Stan, I would think you are definitely right on that deal! Just hopefully, OP has the linkage corrected.

·
Super Moderator
5,703 Posts
Stan, I would think you are definitely right on that deal! Just hopefully, OP has the linkage corrected.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,468 Posts
Per the manual...

[h=3]Using Differential Lock (Traction Assist)[/h]
CAUTION: Driving at high speeds with the traction assist engaged may result in loss of steering control. Do not engage traction assist or turn with the traction assist engaged while operating machine at high speeds or on slopes.
The differential lock is used to provide better traction when rear wheels start to slip. Engaging differential lock will lock right and left side rear axles together and cause both rear wheels to turn at equal speeds for maximum traction.
IMPORTANT: Using the traction assist function improperly can damage the transaxle:

• Reduce speed and allow drive wheels to rotate at same speed before engaging or disengaging traction assist.
  • Disengage traction assist when driving on dry asphalt or concrete.
  • Use traction assist only when necessary for improved ground engagement.
NOTE: Turning radius is increased when the differential lock is engaged. To assist turning, release the differential lock and use the turn brake pedals.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Yes, when the differential lock is engaged it is difficult to turn the tractor. I'm not certain my issue with the differential lock is what the original poster describes but it certainly sounds similar. When I tried to turn the tractor on the lawn the front wheels plowed big ruts which I thought initially was a problem with the mechanical front wheel drive. But as soon as I adjusted the parking brake tension the problem went away and the tractor turned as easy as one could expect.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I use my tractor on grass covered sandy soil and have no issues with the front tires slipping or scraping ruts during normal operation. However, it will definitely leave front tire marks if the differential is locked or if I put it in 4wd and I try to turn.

·
Banned
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is happening in two wheel drive without differential lock on. Does that mean the brakes adjustment is effecting the differential and needs to be adjusted ?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,468 Posts
Are you certain the MFWD is disengaging?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Mine had nothing to do with the front wheel drive being engaged. The front wheels "plowing" was happening in two wheel drive as well as 4 wheel drive. I jacked up the rear of the tractor and when I tried to rotate one wheel the other wheel followed in the same direction. There was no "differential action" in play as the two rear wheels were locked together. As soon as I adjusted the nut on the parking the brake the tractor the rear wheels rotated in opposite directions clearly indicating it was no longer "locked." Of course I had to try my experiment and sure enough, problem resolved. There was no "plowing" and the tractor turned like it should.

I am not saying for sure that my issue is that same as yours. But if you jack up the rear of your tractor and if both rear wheels spin in the same direction then clearly the axle is locked and the differential lock control is most likely the culprit. Just press on the brake pedal and you will see brake control and the differential lock are connected. As I recall I just relaxed the adjusting nut. As I recall I only had to relax the adjusting nut a turn or two.

·
Banned
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mine had nothing to do with the front wheel drive being engaged. The front wheels "plowing" was happening in two wheel drive as well as 4 wheel drive. I jacked up the rear of the tractor and when I tried to rotate one wheel the other wheel followed in the same direction. There was no "differential action" in play as the two rear wheels were locked together. As soon as I adjusted the nut on the parking the brake the tractor the rear wheels rotated in opposite directions clearly indicating it was no longer "locked." Of course I had to try my experiment and sure enough, problem resolved. There was no "plowing" and the tractor turned like it should.

I am not saying for sure that my issue is that same as yours. But if you jack up the rear of your tractor and if both rear wheels spin in the same direction then clearly the axle is locked and the differential lock control is most likely the culprit. Just press on the brake pedal and you will see brake control and the differential lock are connected. As I recall I just relaxed the adjusting nut. As I recall I only had to relax the adjusting nut a turn or two.
Thanks that helps clearing up the brake and differential issue as soon as possible . Unfortunately that may be awhile as I shattered my heel bone (calcaneus) in January and it's going to be several more months before I can get to it. I may just call the dealer.

Thanks to everyone , great forum

·
Premium Member
14,175 Posts
Thanks that helps clearing up the brake and differential issue as soon as possible . Unfortunately that may be awhile as I shattered my heel bone (calcaneus) in January and it's going to be several more months before I can get to it. I may just call the dealer.

Thanks to everyone , great forum
Under the circumstances and the fact that it is clearly under warranty, call the dealer. :thumbup1gif:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,468 Posts

·
Banned
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm starting to worry

I called the dealer to see what was happening and they have had my tractor in the shop since yesterday. I'm hoping they haven't they been working on it for two days , as that would signify something more serious than a simple adjustment. But at least it's in the shop not outside with 10 other tractors waiting to go in

Reactions: Gizmo2
1 - 20 of 22 Posts