Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I have been enjoying this forum for a while,
Thought I'd share my experience with my 2025R, acquired new Jan 2018.
Loader, 54" MMM, rear snowblower. My 1st SCUT
Currently 126 hours, used for mowing, snow removal, property maintenance and moving stuff around.
3 pt hitch could lift just a few inches higher :)

- First I like the machine- does what I ask it to do, however it has not been without issues

Issues- Resolved(year 1)
1) loader bucket flop in <15mins- 1 cylinder replaced
2) tranny leak- side cover replaced

Issues- Somewhat resolved
1) When backing off deck during deck removal, front deck hanger hangs up on loader stand- things get bent.
- Now when removing deck, I put a weight on the front hanger to keep it from flipping up when backing off.
I remove the bucket when mowing, but not the loader frame.

Issues- Open (since Jan 2018)
Currently back at the dealer (way way upstate NY)
1) No crank; Only when cold; temp <20F, starter does not engage, no voltage on white wire to starter solenoid.
  • Dealer previously; 2nd visit starter replaced,1st visit neutral safety switch linkage inspected/replaced
  • this time- will replace pto switch/start relay, verify path/wiring from Ignition switch=> ICC=> start relay=>
starter solenoid-& diagnose when temps <20F

·
Super Moderator
6,436 Posts
Issues- Open (since Jan 2018)
Currently back at the dealer (way way upstate NY)
1) No crank; Only when cold; temp <20F, starter does not engage, no voltage on white wire to starter solenoid.
  • Dealer previously; 2nd visit starter replaced,1st visit neutral safety switch linkage inspected/replaced
  • this time- will replace pto switch/start relay, verify path/wiring from Ignition switch=> ICC=> start relay=>
starter solenoid-& diagnose when temps <20F
This may be too simple but, have you tried bypassing the seat sensor switch?

This is a pretty common problem in cold weather. The seat foam gets hard enough that when you plop yer butt down in the seat the foam doesn't compress so the seat sensor thinks no one is sitting on the machine.

If you haven't tried it, a 30 second bypassing of the sensor switch will give you the answer.

·
Premium Member
13,296 Posts
This may be too simple but, have you tried bypassing the seat sensor switch?

This is a pretty common problem in cold weather. The seat foam gets hard enough that when you plop yer butt down in the seat the foam doesn't compress so the seat sensor thinks no one is sitting on the machine.

If you haven't tried it, a 30 second bypassing of the sensor switch will give you the answer.
And then the dealer likely picks up the machine, hauls it to their nice warm shop, unloads it inside the building and by time the tech gets to the machine to check it, everything is warmed back up and they are unable to replicate the problem.......as when they turn the key, it starts.......................

Also, a 2018 with 126 hours is also likely to have a battery which is more on the downside of it's expected life based upon the experience with JD batteries. The machine and battery are already 37 months old (from delivery, probably add another 3 to 5 months or more from when the battery was manufactured to when it was installed in the tractor at the factory. It's very possible that battery is much closer to 4 years old than it is to being 3 years old. Battery capacity at -22F is 50% less than at normal temps. That alone is an issue.

Wonder if a battery maintainer is in use? It certainly would have helped with the battery health early on, but now that bell has already rung. When the battery is replaced, I would certainly install a battery maintainer at that time for sure............

Reactions: alanaka24

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for replies
This is an intermittent problem- it may take 5+ tries for the starter to engage, when it does, it starts.
The battery seems to be just fine, though admittingly perhaps a bit weak, the machine is used all year long, and I use a battery tender jr if the machine is not in use for long periods- between major snow events.
3 days of testing for voltage on the white wire with the starter solenoid disconnected revealed little battery drop from all that glow plug use. You can see battery voltage on the white wire when it wants to work properly.
The white wire was disconnected to remove any question or a starter/starter solenoid induced brown out.

I don't think seat switch matters on this machine... -Gregg

·
Registered
682 Posts
Wow Gregg C, I guess I'll be (even more) satisfied with my fifteen year old 2520, and your model is an upgrade of the first 2025R? At that temp my 2520 is plugged in, both block heater and trans heater.

JimR, You just have too much common sense LOL.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just to clarify- the machine can be started with or without the operator in the seat by design.
the manual indicates the ICC logic does not use the seat switch as a precursor.
I can provide more details about ICC display behavior differences on a good start sequence vs a failed one,
if there is interest.
For good or bad- I'm a EE (electrical engineer)

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
3 pt hitch could lift just a few inches higher :)

1) When backing off deck during deck removal, front deck hanger hangs up on loader stand- things get bent.
- Now when removing deck, I put a weight on the front hanger to keep it from flipping up when backing off.
Can the lift arms on the 2025 be flipped upside down to gain more lift height?

You do have the adjusting bolt on the MMM draft arms set to properly limit their upward movement when you back off, right?

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Change the solid lift link to an adjustable one. You will get a lot more lift height. They don't cost that much. And you can make it lower as needed for other things.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can the lift arms on the 2025 be flipped upside down to gain more lift height?

You do have the adjusting bolt on the MMM draft arms set to properly limit their upward movement when you back off, right?

MMM draft arms? this is problem- front deck hanger catches loader stand when backing off.
Hard to make out in the pic but not much room between the bottom of the loader stand and where the hanger hooks on to the machine. I could try to "tolerance" it in soem fashion (no obvious adjustement), but I think its best to "don't do that" :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MMM draft arms? this is problem- front deck hanger catches loader stand when backing off.
Hard to make out in the pic but not much room between the bottom of the loader stand and where the hanger hooks on to the machine. I could try to "tolerance" it in soem fashion (no obvious adjustement), but I think its best to "don't do that" :)

View attachment 776866
another pic

·
Registered
187 Posts
I can share in your frustration on two of your items. For the lack of lift height of the 3 point, I bought an adjustable lift link (or whatever it is called) so both sides are adjustable. That allows me to get several more inches of lift height.

For the issues backing off your MMM with the front loader on, I made a little modification with my welder. Not sure if you have access to a welder or not. It's hard to describe but if you look at where that MMM draft arm connects to the deck, you will see this oddly shaped bracket that is designed to allow the draft arm to move but it is also designed to constrain how much it moves. I removed that part, added a weld bead on it so it would actually not allow that front arm to raise up as much. It now slides nicely under the parking stand on my loader and still connects fine. Sorry that is a poor description. I can always try to take a picture if it would help.

Reactions: kylew

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
When they recycled the 120R loader on the new 2025R they didn’t give enough clearance for the mmm. I always remove the loader. Doesn’t take much longer than removing the bucket. 4 hoses instead of 2 pins. Really lowers center of gravity for me while mowing on hills.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts

View attachment 776866
What you are calling a "hanger" John Deere calls a "draft link or draft arm." There should be a stop with a bolt to keep the arm from rising up to the level of the loader stand. Here is a prior thread about it.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion- I'll look at how much can be gained by doing this
It's substantial. It's about 3 times the amount of the adjustment. It made a huge difference with my brush mower.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What you are calling a "hanger" John Deere calls a "draft link or draft arm." There should be a stop with a bolt to keep the arm from rising up to the level of the loader stand. Here is a prior thread about it.

Hanger vs draft arm- ok I'm now with the lingo.

I don't see an adjusting bolt(maybe a small bit using #41 below?)- on mine at least- though parts are as the ones in the schematic in the previous thread(below)- and I see I am not alone.
In my case I bent one arm of #25, as well mangled #37,41. The price of #25 horrified me, so I spent some quality time with a hydraulic press to straighten #25&37 out.

Before I had the bucket cylinder fail- I did always remove the loader frame before mowing, now I just remove the bucket and leave the loader frame on to avoid introducing debris into the hydraulics.
I'm wary of getting debris in the hydraulic system- and thus avoiding unnecessary dis/re-connect of the loader hyd hoses. That and the factory hyd plug&storage caps stopped staying together when loader is in use- anyone have found a better quality option for these plug/caps? .

I haven't learned to weld- yet- but I can think of a few ways to modify #37 so as to limit how far
the draft arm pops up. Though I will undoubtedly always make sure the draft arm is out of the way - or risk a $$ #25.

·
Super Moderator
3,661 Posts
There have been quite a few posts before about #37 getting bent up. Seems to always happen by the parking stand hitting the linkage.

Not 100% sure, but I don't think the new setup, like you have, has the adjuster bolt being referred to. It was used on the previous style.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just looked at the latest jd parts diagram. In this diagram- it appears the (latest ?) bracket(15) is adjustable- looking at the vertically elongated slot (My bracket does not look like this)

and is PN TR107795

Bracket
Part Number TR107795
Description
BRACKET, UPSTOP ADJUSTABLE FRONT DR
Remarks
Front Draft

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.