Green Tractor Talk banner

2025R hydro fluid change, nothing on sight glass?

5K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  MarkEagleUSA 
#1 ·
Hello and thank you.
Drained all the fluid from the 2015 2025R
I replaced the filter and cleaned the magnets in the back end screen.
Put it all back together today, I added all 4 gallons of LowVis hygaurd,(I’m in Maine) but no fluid on sight glass? I know it takes 3.5, but I have a Artillian 3rd function up front, thought that might take more?
Now I’m afraid I overfilled it? But I kept checking and I never saw a bubble?
Tractor is level. Still empty sight glass.
I ran it and moved the bucket, drove it back/forth, seems to work fine, but now I’m worried...
Thanks for the input!!

#2 ·
Step #1 - Add some dye. If you've over filled it to the point that the level is above the sight glass you'll never see it. That said, I know on my Gen 1 2032R I can go from "below the sight glass" to "above the sight glass" with what seems like a trivial amount of fluid.

#4 · (Edited)
You’ve overfilled the reservoir. The HyGard is very clear and almost colorless. You need to drain about a gallon out and add dye to the tank. Then slowly top the tank off in pint increments.

#5 ·
Same thing here. Just find something that is long enough to hold onto and stick into the fill hole. Find out where the oil level is by measuring after you putt the whatever out of the hole. Might need to drill some small holes into whatever you're putting down the fill hole to tell where the oil is.
Hate those things. Need 2 people, one to fill and the other to watch with a good light at the sight glass.

If you over fill. No big sweat.

#9 ·
Gallon over...🙄
Glad I didn’t really run it at all.

Sad part is my local JD dealership had no idea what I was talking about with the dye.... said they didn’t know if they could get it. I even had the JD part #.
I just loosened the drain plug till it oozed out and watched with a flashlight till I got a bubble in the sight glass. They I ran all my hydros and back/forth to be sure. I’ll check it again tomorrow.
I ordered dye for next time from eBay, but I wanted to fix it tonight incase it snows....

#10 ·
Good to hear, been there done that, its easy to miss seeing the fluid filling in the sight glass till it is over filled.

#12 ·
Again, sorry to hi-jack this thread....
I am going to contact my dealer today ($7.81). The instructions show 1 bottle per 5 gallons. Is that what others have done? I am planning to change the fluid in my 4200. Manual shows 6.8gal. Will one bottle be adequate/too much? I know red dye goes a long way.

Reactions: Bartman#1
#13 ·
Again, sorry to hi-jack this thread....
I am going to contact my dealer today ($7.81). The instructions show 1 bottle per 5 gallons. Is that what others have done? I am planning to change the fluid in my 4200. Manual shows 6.8gal. Will one bottle be adequate/too much? I know red dye goes a long way.
One bottle will dye about 20 gallons, and all your fingers. No matter how little I put in a gallon it turns red.

#15 ·
Reactions: Bartman#1
#16 ·
The bottle of JD dye is 12 ml which is .4 oz... not much at all.

I added it to the transaxle and ran the tractor for 5 or 10 minutes while using all the functions on the loader in addition to moving forward and reverse to disperse the dye.

The hardest part of the process was getting the little bit of dye off my fingers! ;)

Reactions: farmer52
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.