Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone attest to how the 2025R does cutting grass? I know it doesn't turn as tight of a radius as the 1025R, but it doesn't look to bad. I'm a bit torn between the two machines. I thought I was set on the 1025R, but my dealer won't have any stock until at least mid August so that gave me time to think, and that is dangerous. I will be using it for snow removal too in Western NY. If I stick with the 1025R i'll use a snowblower. I'll probably use a blade or the bucket with the 2025R. All opinions and input is welcome.

·
Premium Member
13,664 Posts
I had a 2025R that was used for mowing and snow removal. With the 60D MMM it did a very nice cut, a little scalping on uneven ground, but you'll have that with any mowing machine. As far as snow removal, I have a 72" FEL mounted plow, a 60" snow push and edge tamers for the bucket. Never have run into snow that I couldn't move quite easily with that tractor. As with most tractors, traction is going to be the enemy for snow removal, if possible I'd invest in tire chains.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I mow with a 2025r and it turns surprisingly sharp for it's size. I thought I would have to get a smaller mower for mowing up around the house but it wasn't necessary.

Now that I've mowed with it a couple of months and my deck it adjusted correctly it cuts very well in my opinion and I've owned some nice cutting mowers including a couple of zero turns and Simplicity tractors (I've also owned some not so nice cutting mowers). If your lawn is flat it's easy to make it look good but if it has contoured banking it takes some learned skill to get an even looking cut, especially with the wider deck.
I mow about 2.5 acres.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The only thing I can add is: take a look at the tires you are getting. Tight turns with R4's (even worse I would imagine with Ag's) won't be as forgiving as turf tires. The flip side of that is turf tires won't do as well moving snow. If you go the Turf tire route, I agree with the above comments of looking into tire chains.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only thing I can add is: take a look at the tires you are getting. Tight turns with R4's (even worse I would imagine with Ag's) won't be as forgiving as turf tires. The flip side of that is turf tires won't do as well moving snow. If you go the Turf tire route, I agree with the above comments of looking into tire chains.
Whichever tractor I decide on, I'll put the R3 radials on. I hear they are great for the snow.

·
Premium Member
1,876 Posts
I cannot attest to the 2025R, but I can for the 2038R!

Sincerely

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I mow with a 2025r and it turns surprisingly sharp for it's size. I thought I would have to get a smaller mower for mowing up around the house but it wasn't necessary.

Now that I've mowed with it a couple of months and my deck it adjusted correctly it cuts very well in my opinion and I've owned some nice cutting mowers including a couple of zero turns and Simplicity tractors (I've also owned some not so nice cutting mowers). If your lawn is flat it's easy to make it look good but if it has contoured banking it takes some learned skill to get an even looking cut, especially with the wider deck.
I mow about 2.5 acres.
Thanks for this info. I plan on using the 54" deck. I'm just worried that the 2025R will be a little heavy and wouldn't cut as well, but it sounds like I shouldn't be too worried about that.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thanks for this info. I plan on using the 54" deck. I'm just worried that the 2025R will be a little heavy and wouldn't cut as well, but it sounds like I shouldn't be too worried about that.
👍
I can't make a fair statement about the weight of the tractor for mowing, this is my first season at this property and most of my experience with mowers was on other properties.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2025R with 60" MMM, lots of hills/uneven terrain to mow - I mow my grass to 3" - 3.5" in length and have never had a problem. I owned a 2017 1025R and now own a 2020 2025R - not much difference in cut between the two, just a little better turn radius, but I don't miss my 1025, the improvements in the 2025R are well worth the slight cost increase, in my opinion.

·
Super Moderator
5,205 Posts
I will be using it for snow removal too in Western NY. If I stick with the 1025R i'll use a snowblower. I'll probably use a blade or the bucket with the 2025R.
The machines are so close in performance and specs. I'm not sure why you'd switch to entirely different implements between them for a task.

·
Premium Member
9,164 Posts
I will be using it for snow removal too in Western NY. If I stick with the 1025R i'll use a snowblower. I'll probably use a blade or the bucket with the 2025R. All opinions and input is welcome.
Why the difference in implements and approaches for the two machines? As someone who plows a LOT of snow with a 1 series, I am curious to your thinking on this matter.

Reactions: greenharley

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The machines are so close in performance and specs. I'm not sure why you'd switch to entirely different implements between them for a task.
Well, i currently have a snowblower for my x738. When I trade, if I trade for the 1 series I'll keep it. If I go 2 series I'll trade it in and keep my plow blade.

·
Super Moderator
5,205 Posts
Well, i currently have a snowblower for my x738. When I trade, if I trade for the 1 series I'll keep it. If I go 2 series I'll trade it in and keep my plow blade.
Hmm... The implements are all the same between the X700s, 1-series and the 2025r. They use the same blower and snow blades. I guess I'm just puzzled by this. If you have a blower, why not move it over to either machine that you buy?

Or is this all based on finances?

Reactions: greenharley

·
Premium Member
9,164 Posts
For snow removal in Western New York, I think I wouldn't plan on using the bucket much, especially if you are used to using a plow or blower for snow removal.

While the loader can be helpful for some snow stacking in heavy seasons, it's really not the most efficient or safest way to "plow snow". It can be painstakingly slow if the snow is deep, wet and heavy and when moving snow with the FEL bucket, there is no way to "trip" the bucket should you catch the edge of a sidewalk or other "solid object". In fact, the stop can be violent and quite damaging to both operator and machine alike......

While edge tamers can help minimize the damage to the terrain by keeping the cutting edge slightly elevated off the surface, it won't help if you encounter something under the snow which solid and isn't moving.

There are some CUT and SCUT owners who move snow with their FEL bucket. For those who deal with a couple of light snow falls a year, they can get by using the bucket. I don't think that's the reputation Western NY has for typical winter weather and snow fall amounts. If its something you have to do often and you have very much of a driveway to deal with, the FEL bucket isn't the best alternative for snow removal.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hmm... The implements are all the same between the X700s, 1-series and the 2025r. They use the same blower and snow blades. I guess I'm just puzzled by this. If you have a blower, why not move it over to either machine that you buy?

Or is this all based on finances?
It's based on finance and trade in cashola.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I think the 2025R mows and turns surprisingly well. I have the frontier 60” snow plow mounted to the loader. My first year at our new house we got a 16 inch snowfall. 2025R handled it great even up our steep 1/4 mile driveway. With the loader mounted plow I was able to stack the snow. I have the R4 tires and they have never cause my lawn any damage mowing. It is a very good all around machine. I have the rear tires loaded which helps with plowing and have not seen any negative effects in the lawn. I mow about 3 acres. Maybe 1 flat the other 2 I use 4wd going up and down. It mows closer to my house than my old lawn and garden tractor with the 60” deck.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I traded in a Kubota Bx2350 for my 2025r. The BX is about the same size as a 1 series JD but a little smaller.

The deck of the JD cuts a little better than the Kubota, both had mulch kits. I have loaded tires on my JD, which adds about 400 pounds total. It does compact the yard a little bit when it’s soft due to the weight, in my yard more so in the spring. This is less of a problem if you change your mowing pattern.

Snow removal with a bucket and rear blade is what I do. We didn’t get much snow this last year but my impression is the JD will work better than the smaller Kubota. The JD has better road speed so it tends to shove it further off the drive. I don’t know an exact amount but probably around six inches the rear blade won’t work the tractor just won’t pull it. Using the bucket for large amounts of snow can be painfully slow. The most I moved with the Kubota was about 20 inches, it was slow. My drive is about 600 feet long but we don’t get that much snow. If you have a short drive, might not be a big deal. A rear snow blower is a cheaper option.

A 2025r is a good choice but a 1025r isn’t a bad one either. Is the bigger frame and tires worth the extra cost for you.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I mow 8 acres with a 2025R and 62D. The pic attached was taken a week after I mowed. Definitely get R3 tires or turf tires.

I use a 47 snowblower I had from my old 445. It works great. I tried using the FEL as others have suggested, but it just doesn't move the snow out if the way and takes too long. I have just under 1000' of drive to clear.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts