Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
41 hours on my 2025r running the rototiller hit a rock should have broke the shear pin on the drive shaft but instead it broke something inside the housing in the tractor when you turn the PTO on you can hear it but the shaft not turning any suggestions

·
Super Moderator
5,384 Posts
Not real sure on the new 2025R but for other Deere CUT models a symptom like that often means you broke the PTO stub off inside the rear housing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shouldn't the shear pin broke on drive shaft to do you think this will be under warranty

·
Super Moderator
5,384 Posts
Is that PTO stub off a big job to fix
Not sure on your model. The shaft itself doesn't look to bad in the arts breakdown but I don't know if your model allows access from the rear of the transaxle case or if the entire transaxle has to be broken down.

Shouldn't the shear pin broke on drive shaft to do you think this will be under warranty
The shear pin exists to prevent this exact problem. That's it's only purpose in life.

I'm not sure how Deere will handle it as far as warranty goes. Is it a Deere tiller that you purchased new as well? Did the dealer set it up for you?

Typically, this sort of thing isn't covered unless you can show that the shaft was defective somehow. But if you bought the tiller with the machine and the dealer set everything up... the dealer may take responsibility for it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I bought the tractor the tiller and the backhoe attachment and the front end loader all is one they said the backhoe up on the tractor the tiller I put on later after I got at home I'm taking it to him tomorrow we'll see what they say

·
Registered
46 Posts
Was the tiller completely set-up and all you had to do to install it was attach the 3 point and pto shaft? I'd be interested to see where this ends up.

Reactions: PJR832 and Toughsox

·
Premium Member
14,204 Posts
I'm curious what tiller you bought that didn't come with a slip clutch. :dunno:

xcopterdoc beat me too it.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Where the PTO connects to the tiller, there should be bolts with springs on them. There are 3 disks in the middle. There should be a certain air gap specified in the manual, Frontier and JD stuff is usually around 4mm depending on model. If something is hit, it should slip the disks instead of damaging internals.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I'm curious what tiller you bought that didn't come with a slip clutch. :dunno:

xcopterdoc beat me too it.

I don't know which tiller the op has, but I bought the Frontier rt1142 and it has a shear bolt instead of a slip clutch.

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
This is a warranty issue because obviously there was a casting/forging defect in the PTO shaft/stub/whatever that caused it to break before the sheer bolt or slip clutch did their job.

That is what I would say, and I would not deviate from that position one bit. Casting/forging defects in factory steel are a real thing and they do happen. And honestly, that is likely what happened to you, unless you are using some old tiller with a very seized up slip clutch or someone put a hardened steel bolt where the sheer bolt goes.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Problem solved the shifter was between rear PTO and mid PTO guess I had a blonde moment
Lol I think we have all done that .. as a side note I flip the lever over to mid pto anytime I hook up so I can spin the splines to line them up with my fingers

·
Premium Member
6,371 Posts
Lol I think we have all done that .. as a side note I flip the lever over to mid pto anytime I hook up so I can spin the splines to line them up with my fingers
Yes sir. I was not used to PTO brakes but learned that trick from this site.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
That's a very useful piece of info. Glad I learned it a while ago...

Rob

1 - 17 of 17 Posts