Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 2025r and the PTO won't engage mid or rear. At first it cut out a couple times at the start and then ran fine. Now it won't engage at all.

The light turns on and if I stand up it cuts out.

I have pulled the PTO switch out and tested it and it is ok.

The other thing to note is the parking brake indicator light is faulty. Parking brake works mechanically, but the light used to stay on all the time and flicker when driving around now it is out all the time. Does this affect the PTO engaging?

Any help on what should be my next step would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Matt

·
Super Moderator
6,807 Posts
The brake light issue is entirely unrelated to your PTO issue. I'm 99% sure your PTO switch actives a solenoid which, in turn, activates your PTO. If you've checked the switch out, the solenoid would be the next step. I don't have a 2025R service manual so I'm not sure where your solenoid is or what the check out procedure is. But I have seen where other people have found wires that have come loose from their solenoid.

·
Super Moderator
10,067 Posts
If the front pto selection is working you might want to check your pto shift lever where it attaches to the shaft entering the transaxle housing. I believe there's a roll pin that may have broken.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The brake light issue is entirely unrelated to your PTO issue. I'm 99% sure your PTO switch actives a solenoid which, in turn, activates your PTO. If you've checked the switch out, the solenoid would be the next step. I don't have a 2025R service manual so I'm not sure where your solenoid is or what the check out procedure is. But I have seen where other people have found wires that have come loose from their solenoid.
Thank you, I will find out where that is.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Are you still having this issue? I had it on my 2016 2025R. Most likely the tractor drove over some branches or something that was able to get up under the tractor and wedge one of the switches over slightly. If you get under the tractor and press your forward or reverse pedal while the tractor is off you'll see a solenoid looking thing that has an L on an end where the pedals push on, or should be pushing. That switch is most likely bent over slightly and they can't press it and that is disabling the PTO.

I took mine in to the dealer 3 times and they couldn't figure out what it was until on the last trip a guy that knew exactly what was going on pointed it out to me.

Unfortunately they don't make the undersides of these tractors protected so I've ended up with all sorts of branches stuck in parts while being in the woods.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Tinktank 8s correct. I have a 2025 2025R. The bracket for the reverse switch bends easily from branches. This makes the tractor think you are in reverse. Mine did the same thing you describe. I just zip tied the switch, which made for better mowing anyway.

Reactions: rtgt and kylew

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you still having this issue? I had it on my 2016 2025R. Most likely the tractor drove over some branches or something that was able to get up under the tractor and wedge one of the switches over slightly. If you get under the tractor and press your forward or reverse pedal while the tractor is off you'll see a solenoid looking thing that has an L on an end where the pedals push on, or should be pushing. That switch is most likely bent over slightly and they can't press it and that is disabling the PTO.

I took mine in to the dealer 3 times and they couldn't figure out what it was until on the last trip a guy that knew exactly what was going on pointed it out to me.

Unfortunately they don't make the undersides of these tractors protected so I've ended up with all sorts of branches stuck in parts while being in the woods.
Thank you, I am hoping to get back to it tomorrow morning. I will check it out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I have checked the reverse switch and the PTO switch and those are all functioning. I finally found the PTO solenoid. Had to remove the floor board, seat, etc. The solenoid can't completely come off the solenoid valve without hitting the pedal assembly underneath the floor boards. I am having a hard time figuring out the best way to go about that. Anybody done this before?

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I have checked the reverse switch and the PTO switch and those are all functioning. I finally found the PTO solenoid. Had to remove the floor board, seat, etc. The solenoid can't completely come off the solenoid valve without hitting the pedal assembly underneath the floor boards. I am having a hard time figuring out the best way to go about that. Anybody done this before?
Hi I'm trying to figure out the same problem on another 2025r and I was wondering what you found out. I also wanted to let you know I removed the coil from the solenoid far enough to use a small pair of channel locks to turned out the solenoid assembly. A 1" angle wrench might do the trick but I didn't have one. There is a pin inside of it that can fall out and it is not magnetic so be careful. I have replaced the solenoid and it made no difference, it seems to be functioning every time (key on engine off) but it won't engage with the engine running . I removed the valve/pump assembly and found someone had used silicone on the gasket, replaced the gasket and it work for awhile but now its back to its same old habits. Any help would be appreciated!!!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi I'm trying to figure out the same problem on another 2025r and I was wondering what you found out. I also wanted to let you know I removed the coil from the solenoid far enough to use a small pair of channel locks to turned out the solenoid assembly. A 1" angle wrench might do the trick but I didn't have one. There is a pin inside of it that can fall out and it is not magnetic so be careful. I have replaced the solenoid and it made no difference, it seems to be functioning every time (key on engine off) but it won't engage with the engine running . I removed the valve/pump assembly and found someone had used silicone on the gasket, replaced the gasket and it work for awhile but now its back to its same old habits. Any help would be appreciated!!!!!
Sorry, I have nothing new for you. Thanks for your post. I ordered the Tech Manual and will hopefully have time this fall to dig into it again. Let me know if you learn anything new. Best of luck.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Do either of these machines have an RIO switch that may be bad?

Reactions: theduke

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry, I have nothing new for you. Thanks for your post. I ordered the Tech Manual and will hopefully have time this fall to dig into it again. Let me know if you learn anything new. Best of luck.
Hi I don't know if you figured out your tractor or not but this is what I found wrong with the one I was working on. With the seat switch bypassed and the ignition on engine off. I left the pto engaged, with power to the pto solenoid, I watched to see if it would loose power with out the engine running and it did. The pto light stayed on but the output wire to the solenoid lost power at the controller. I replaced the controller and performed the same test and the pto solenoid never lost power. However when I took the tractor out and mowed with it everything work fine as long as I didn't back up. The mower never shut off in reverse but if I tried to start the mower after backing up, the pto would not engage. So I replaced and adjusted the rio switch on the hydro linkage in front of the transmission. I returned the tractor over a month ago and as far as I know it's working fine.
LVU803981 is the controller and I think LVA13307 is the rio switch.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2016 2025R recently had the same issue described in this post. PTO was intermittent. The plunger on the RIO switch was adjusted all the way forward and I believe that the reverse pedal arm was depressing it just enough to be right at point where the switch activates. This was causing the PTO to run sometimes or only for about 10-30 seconds. I used a small piece of wire to bypass the switch and PTO runs perfect now. As much as I don't like to bypass safety controls, they certainly can cause headaches...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi I don't know if you figured out your tractor or not but this is what I found wrong with the one I was working on. With the seat switch bypassed and the ignition on engine off. I left the pto engaged, with power to the pto solenoid, I watched to see if it would loose power with out the engine running and it did. The pto light stayed on but the output wire to the solenoid lost power at the controller. I replaced the controller and performed the same test and the pto solenoid never lost power. However when I took the tractor out and mowed with it everything work fine as long as I didn't back up. The mower never shut off in reverse but if I tried to start the mower after backing up, the pto would not engage. So I replaced and adjusted the rio switch on the hydro linkage in front of the transmission. I returned the tractor over a month ago and as far as I know it's working fine.
LVU803981 is the controller and I think LVA13307 is the rio switch.
Hope this helps
Thanks, it was the controller. I replaced it and everything works fine now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My 2016 2025R recently had the same issue described in this post. PTO was intermittent. The plunger on the RIO switch was adjusted all the way forward and I believe that the reverse pedal arm was depressing it just enough to be right at point where the switch activates. This was causing the PTO to run sometimes or only for about 10-30 seconds. I used a small piece of wire to bypass the switch and PTO runs perfect now. As much as I don't like to bypass safety controls, they certainly can cause headaches...
I have heard of others gluing something against the pedal to depress it more so you don't have to bypass it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.