Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have been looking into purchasing a tiller for my 2025R. I want to be able to cover my tire tracks therefore the 5’ option is what I want to purchase. I have seen lots of reviews some good, some bad reviews on whether or not my tractor can handle this size of tiller. I understand that the specs say you need 25Hp at the PTO to run this attachment efficiently. I don’t want to get an offset 4’ tiller if possible. So my question, has anyone run a 5’ tiller on their 2025? If so how have has it handled it? Any feedback is appreciated.

Joe

·
Premium Member
12,894 Posts
Unless you have put wheel spacers on the rear wheels a 4' tiller will cover your tracks without being offset.

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
By way of comparison I have a 1025R and I run a John Deere 655 tiller with no problems.
A big part of the equation will be the kind of ground your tilling. Clay, loam, sandy loam, peat ??? The lighter the soil the bigger the tiller you can use for any given horsepower. (to a point).
On heavier soils, might need to make a few successive passes going deeper each time. One critical need to heed, especially with our heavier soil is to stay off and out when it is the least bit wet, or you end up with concrete clods when it dries out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
By way of comparison I have a 1025R and I run a John Deere 655 tiller with no problems.
A big part of the equation will be the kind of ground your tilling. Clay, loam, sandy loam, peat ??? The lighter the soil the bigger the tiller you can use for any given horsepower. (to a point).
On heavier soils, might need to make a few successive passes going deeper each time. One critical need to heed, especially with our heavier soil is to stay off and out when it is the least bit wet, or you end up with concrete clods when it dries out.
That's what i have been hearing. I don't have any clay, but is pretty rocky in places. Thanks for the input

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hey all,

I have been looking into purchasing a tiller for my 2025R. I want to be able to cover my tire tracks therefore the 5’ option is what I want to purchase. I have seen lots of reviews some good, some bad reviews on whether or not my tractor can handle this size of tiller. I understand that the specs say you need 25Hp at the PTO to run this attachment efficiently. I don’t want to get an offset 4’ tiller if possible. So my question, has anyone run a 5’ tiller on their 2025? If so how have has it handled it? Any feedback is appreciated.

Joe
I run a 60” tiller as well as a 60+” flail on my 2016 2025R (Gen 1 model) and couldn’t be happier with the performance. For me it works out great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I run a 60” tiller as well as a 60+” flail on my 2016 2025R (Gen 1 model) and couldn’t be happier with the performance. For me it works out great.

Nice set-up! i appreciate your feedback. Are you happy with the king kutter? That's the route I'm thinking of going seeing how its 200 dollars cheaper then the county line at my local TSC

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I have a 60" King Kutter Professional tiller that I use with my 2520. My tractor has about the same HP as yours, I believe. The 2520 runs it marvelously. I've tilled up quite a bit of virgin ground (sod and pasture land) with it and it certainly doesn't lack power to run the tiller.

Simple... buy a 60" tiller of whatever brand you want and never look back.

Rob

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a 60" King Kutter Professional tiller that I use with my 2520. My tractor has about the same HP as yours, I believe. The 2520 runs it marvelously. I've tilled up quite a bit of virgin ground (sod and pasture land) with it and it certainly doesn't lack power to run the tiller.

Rob

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Nice set-up! i appreciate your feedback. Are you happy with the king kutter? That's the route I'm thinking of going seeing how its 200 dollars cheaper then the county line at my local TSC
I’m very happy with my King Kutter and can certainly recommend it. I do know that there are many good tillers out there and the primary reason I chose mine was availability and price. Some brands vary by pretty significant amounts based on the store and its location. Definitely pays to shop IMHO.

Good luck on your purchase.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts

Rob
2520 has 20.5 PTO Hp. Fairly good sized jump over the 2025. I only know that because I was looking at the 2520 before I bought a new 2025.
Now, I dont know about the torque difference, or engine displacement, as that too would be a factor, but going by PTO hp alone, it should take at least one size bigger than the 2025.

·
Premium Member
1,675 Posts
I have a JD 655 tiller that I use on my 2025R. My garden has a lot of clay. The 2025R runs it just fine.

·
Premium Member
12,894 Posts
I'll add this, I am using a 4' because that's what I had with my 1023, does it cover the tracks of my 2025, yes, but if I were buying one tomorrow I'd buy a 5'. Implement companies are very cautious when listing hp requirements and JD is very soft when listing hp and torque. I was told my 1023 could not handle my tiller or rotary cutter (both said 25 hp required), I never had any trouble running either one.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
2520 has 20.5 PTO Hp. Fairly good sized jump over the 2025. I only know that because I was looking at the 2520 before I bought a new 2025.
Now, I dont know about the torque difference, or engine displacement, as that too would be a factor, but going by PTO hp alone, it should take at least one size bigger than the 2025.
What is the HP of the 2025R? I thought they were both 25.x HP engines?

Rob

·
Premium Member
12,894 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
He was referring to pto hp, 2025R is 18.
Right, but both engines are about 25.x HP so PTO HP should be very close too.

ETA:

I just looked it up on TractorData. 2520 is 26.4 engine, 20.5 PTO, 2025R is 24.2 engine, 18 PTO.

As well as my 2520 runs the 60" KK I can't imagine the 2025R will fall on its face with it. Still stick with my recommendation to just get the 60" and be happy.

Rob

·
Premium Member
12,894 Posts

ETA:

I just looked it up on TractorData. 2520 is 26.4 engine, 20.5 PTO, 2025R is 24.2 engine, 18 PTO.

As well as my 2520 runs the 60" KK I can't imagine the 2025R will fall on its face with it. Still stick with my recommendation to just get the 60" and be happy.

Rob
I agree, like I said, I’d buy a 60” but I’ll use my 48” because that’s what I have.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts

ETA:

Rob
2520 has a larger displacement engine. That equals more usable torque. When I had both a 2320 and 2520 there was a big difference between the two using my tiller..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts