Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped by my local dealer to look at a 1025R vs a 2025r but they only had a 2032R on the lot. When I told the salesman I was interested in the 2025R for the extra ground clearance with most of my work happening in the woods he immediately recommended the 3023E with 300E loader. I tried out both the 1025R and the 3025E. I was surprised at how much I liked the 3025E. The turning radius is actually rather good and the loader was butter smooth. Another thing I noted on the 3025E that the 1025R and 2025r don't have is an actual parking brake handle vs the little latch like a riding mower on the 1025R/2025R. So I like some of the features of the 3 but it is a lot larger than what I need. I like the dimensions of the 2025R but I wish it had a legitimate parking brake like the 3025E. With those thing in mind I am considering the 2032R to give the size I am looking for with some of the larger tractor features. The downside to considering the 2032R is it is $5k more than the 3025E... I can go with a 2025R TLB now or go with the 2032R with FEL only and add a backhoe later. What are y'all thoughts on those models?

Reactions: X041340

·
Registered
879 Posts
I have the 2032R, and one thing that drove me to it over the 2025 is the 3 point lift height, the 2025 is exceptionally low competitively. However, if you are going to be mainly using it in the woods, and you won't be using a lot of 3 point implements, and the backhoe is a priority, go with the 2025R. It is narrower, and if you wanted to add the backhoe to the 2032R, it will cost you 9K.

Between the E and the R series, I went with the R for ergonomics, having the loader joystick being fender mounted is huge if you are doing a lot of loader work.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I just went through this same thing. Although for me it was 2032 with no backhoe ever, tier 4 nonsense, and doesn’t fit on my trailer VS 2025 with backhoe, no DPF, and fits on my trailer. I considered a 3025 with 3pt mower but decided it wasn’t going to make sense, plus I didn’t like where the loader joystick was. I never use the parking brake, just put the loader on the ground and leave it in neutral. If you’re interested in a backhoe, it’s best to get it now and finance at 0%.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I looked at the 2025r and really didn’t like the 3pt setup, it just didn’t seem like more then a big lawn tractor. I didn’t need a belly mower so the 3025e was more appealing to me. I priced out the backhoe for the 3025e and it was $8k, I passed on it for now and may consider it in the future but I have free access to a mini excavator when it’s available for now. I felt the 3025e had a ton of value as long as it wasn’t needed to be a dedicated mower plus I have a ton of trees and some steep ground I mow so it wouldn’t be ideal to mow with any tractor. I also like the extra lifting ability of the loader on the 3025e over the 2025r.

While the 0% financing was tempting to keep adding implements I figured it wasn’t worth spending the extra on the backhoe.

Dealer didn’t have a 2032r so I didn’t get to compare the 3025e to one but I was sold on a 3025e months ago so maybe I didn’t give the 2025r a good chance to win me over, dealer is delivering it next week. I also didn’t want to deal with tier 4.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I went through all this also, and settled on the 2025r. The largest thing to remember about the E series, is...no mid PTO. Since I plan to use a front mount snowblower, the E was out for me. It was between the 2025r and 2032r...knowing that I'll be in the woods a lot, I opted to save a huge amount of monet and go with the 2025r...and I'm glad I did. The 2025r seems smaller until you get in the woods...then it feels like a huge machine, I'm not sure I could get a 2032r in my woods without having to widen all the trails and really pick my way carefully. I dont understand the comment about the lift height for the 3pt hitch on the 2025r...mine lifts the land plane as well as my weight box way up off the ground...I cant imagine ever wanting it to go any higher. I dont thnk you'll ever regret the extra weight of HP of the 2032r, but my 2025r so far does everything I need. It's a little beast. It pulls a 60" landplane full of gravel up a gade on my driveway without any struggle...plenty of tractor for my individual needs.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I had a concern with the lift height for using a post hole auger. My property has some substantial slopes to it, so in some areas to use an auger, the tractor has to be pointed downhill, effectively lowering the clearance between the draft arms and the ground. I measured 3 tractors at my dealer, with these results:

1023e: 26 inches
2025R: 23 inches
2032R: 34 inches

It's not a concern for everybody, but it is something to think about. However, if OP will mainly have the backhoe on, it's a non-issue from any standpoint.

Whatever you do, don't buy a machine based on a task you MIGHT do, or very rarely. Buy the one that fits your day to day needs, you can rent something for those one-offs much cheaper than paying for an ability you never use.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I had a concern with the lift height for using a post hole auger. My property has some substantial slopes to it, so in some areas to use an auger, the tractor has to be pointed downhill, effectively lowering the clearance between the draft arms and the ground. I measured 3 tractors at my dealer, with these results:

1023e: 26 inches
2025R: 23 inches
2032R: 34 inches

It's not a concern for everybody, but it is something to think about. However, if OP will mainly have the backhoe on, it's a non-issue from any standpoint.

Whatever you do, don't buy a machine based on a task you MIGHT do, or very rarely. Buy the one that fits your day to day needs, you can rent something for those one-offs much cheaper than paying for an ability you never use.
While I agree that the 2025Rs 3 point lift height isnt high enough, it should equal or surpass slightly the 1 series. If it doesnt, have it looked at by the dealer.
Several have needed adjustment.
Its not too big a deal to me with my 2025, but I dont use a ton of 3-point implements.
The interesting thing thats been pointed out on the forum is in regard to ground clearance. It seems the 2025R is king here. The drawbar on it sits higher than the drawbar on the rest of the 2 series, which is also interesting, or odd.

Reactions: Bill56 and PJR832

·
Registered
447 Posts
For me, I couldn't justify the extra money for a 2032R. If I could, I'd go right for the 2038R anyways. The E series was out for me as well as I wanted the mid PTO and I liked the added benefits of the R series.

I really wanted a backhoe and in order to do that I had to stop at the 2025R. Otherwise, I said to myself "I'd have to get it later", which in reality it would probably never happen. Or if it did, I'd be cheaper to trade the machine in.

If you ever did get a backhoe for the 2032R you're not going to find a huge performance difference between that and a 260B. As a matter of fact there are some specs that the 270B falls short. So keep that in mind as well. You're not going to go into the woods and rip out a 24" oak stump with a couple scoops with either machine. It'll take some time.

The 2025R actually has more "balls" than I originally gave it credit for. It handles my 5' bush hog fine, I've literally buried the machine in underbrush going as fast as I dare go and never had a issue. It's small and nimble enough to handle tight trails in the woods or around the house, and I was able to save enough money to get the implements I really wanted so it was a win for me.

Whatever you choose, It'll be a great machine!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for all the replies. They have definitely been helpful and given me a few things to think about. It sounds like I need to focus on deciding whether I really want the backhoe or not. If so I'm going 2025R. If not it will be the 3025E.

Reactions: PJR832

·
Premium Member
1,500 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. They have definitely been helpful and given me a few things to think about. It sounds like I need to focus on deciding whether I really want the backhoe or not. If so I'm going 2025R. If not it will be the 3025E.
The 3025E and the 2025R are two very different tractors. The 2025R is a "one machine does it all" small compact, probably the best of the small compacts in terms of balance between size and capability. The 3025E is definitely not a machine that can do everything, or at least not well. But it is a heavier duty tractor tractor that can handle bigger tasks and can put a lot more power to the ground because of the large tires (if you ballast them) and because it's heavier. The loader is also substantially stronger.

Also, the 3025E has almost the same engine as the 2032R and the 3033R, either just detuned or running different components (almost identical model number and identical displacement (100.2 cu in/1.642L)). This is important because the less power you squeeze out of a given engine size, the longer it's going to last (as a general rule).

Reactions: danmc48

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is where I go back and forth. I have maybe 4 or 5 projects that would require a backhoe but im sure I could come up with more if I owned it. On the other hand 95% of the time the tractor will be used to install and maintain landscape/hardscape. My property is not flat or manicured. It is hilly and 90% wooded. I will be moving a lot of fill dirt, 57 stone, brick/block, mortar, mulch, pinestraw. I am interested in running a landscape rake and boxblade as well.

·
Premium Member
1,500 Posts
The 3025E is going to be better for loader work and three point implements. It's got a lot more lift height/capacity. Also, there are some pretty huge deals on 3E tractors. The 3025E usually goes for around 18K with loader when the deals come up. My dealer has a "up to 6000 off 3E tractors" thing going on right now. I've never seen any big deals on the 2025.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
At my dealer the 2025R TLB is about $5k more than the 3025E with the 300E.

·
Registered
183 Posts
You do know there is a backhoe for both right, overall price has to be about the same as both tractors with loaders only are only a few hundred different in price. The 3025e does get a bigger overall backhoe.

When my dealer quoted me between these two the 2025r was a hair cheaper, think around $400. The 3025e they are selling 10 to 1 2025r, it’s real popular here I guess.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
If I was looking at tractors in that size range, and i KNEW I’d never need a mid-pto, that 3025E seems like an insanely good value for a good sized no-frills workhorse tractor. A physically heavier tractor with a bigger loader and from what I’ve read plenty of engine power. :thumbup1gif:

Reactions: mike01

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
I would look at the specs a lot closer. The 3025E is a lot more tractor for the same price. I agree with the comment about the ergonomics of the FEL joystick being a lot better on the R but you really should look at what you are going to do with the machine. Unless you need Mid PTO for a belly mower or front blower or have to have a FEL that is easy to take off, then there is nothing that would make the 2025R a better machine than a 3025E. At least not on the ground.

The 3025E has a much higher Hydraulic flow rate. 5.3gpm vs 3.5gpm. Not to mention the 3025E has a independent hydraulic pump for steering. Power steering is nice when doing FEL work. Heck steering hydraulics on the 3025E are 4gpm vs the shared 3.5gpm on the 2025R. The 2025R has a limited CAT1 3pt lifting capacity of 882# where the 3025E is full CAT1 with a lifting capacity of 1356#.

From what I have seen they are basically the same price. There may be a sale here or there making one cheaper than the other but they seem to stay a few hundred difference in price normally. Since I have a ZTrak I don't need a mower. Even if I was considering a R machine I wouldn't get it. The ZTrak does a better job. Being I live in MN a front blower is going to be my one issue. I still am leaning toward snow pusher on the FEL and rear blower over a 2025R.

For me a backhoe isn't something I could find enough use for. Rather than buy it, use it a couple times and then have to store it, I could just rent one and still come out ahead. Everyone has different needs though.

Reactions: Busman and mike01

·
Registered
433 Posts
The 3025e is a great machine and is the best value in the John Deere lineup, has been for years.

Oh and BTW, the joystick difference is way overhyped and is not a problem. Your arm rests
on your leg and operates the joystick. I quietly chuckle when I hear people using that
as a reason for not getting an E series.

:greentractorride:

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
The 3025e is a great machine and is the best value in the John Deere lineup, has been for years.

Oh and BTW, the joystick difference is way overhyped and is not a problem. Your arm rests
on your leg and operates the joystick. I quietly chuckle when I hear people using that
as a reason for not getting an E series.

:greentractorride:
I agree the joystick isn't reason enough to not go with an E. The biggest reason to go with an R over an E is Mid PTO or if they need to take the FEL off and put it back on.

While I don't look forward to running a rear blower, the fact remains that even with the much much smaller X585, I rarely use my front blower. With a bigger machine the times I need it might drop to 0. I have gone at times years without putting it on. It isn't that it is hard to put on, I just don't like turning myself into a snowman. We also live in a wooded enough area that drifting isn't an issue.

If I could only have one machine and mowing duties were part of that, then I would go with the 2025R. That isn't the case at least for me.

Reactions: Busman and PJR832

·
Premium Member
1,500 Posts
While I don't look forward to running a rear blower.
I used to worry about that too, because I ran a front blower on my old 1025R and I thought the rear would be really uncomfortable. But, the front blower on the 2032 was like 6K with all the parts and was smaller than the rear blower. In particular, the rear blower was significantly taller. And I really hated how I couldn't have my FEL on all winter. So I decided to chance it and got an SB1164. I am so happy I did. First, going backwards isn't a big deal at all. I rotate sideways in the seat and it's actually quite comfortable. Second, I love being able to leave the loader on. I use edge tamers with it and it's great to push snow around for places I don't want to use the blower. And I still have a useful tractor during the winter months without having to remove all the junk for the front blower. There is also the front PTO bracket that sits just a few inches above the ground and isn't meant to be removed.

I don't think I'll ever go back to a front blower. If I ran a snow removal business and did this all day, then yeah, I can see how some mild discomfort can be annoying if you have to do it all day long, but I have a 1000 foot gravel driveway and it takes two passes to clear with the 64" blower. To think I almost paid 6K instead of 2.5K so that I wouldn't have to do it backwards.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
I used to worry about that too, because I ran a front blower on my old 1025R and I thought the rear would be really uncomfortable. But, the front blower on the 2032 was like 6K with all the parts and was smaller than the rear blower. In particular, the rear blower was significantly taller. And I really hated how I couldn't have my FEL on all winter. So I decided to chance it and got an SB1164. I am so happy I did. First, going backwards isn't a big deal at all. I rotate sideways in the seat and it's actually quite comfortable. Second, I love being able to leave the loader on. I use edge tamers with it and it's great to push snow around for places I don't want to use the blower. And I still have a useful tractor during the winter months without having to remove all the junk for the front blower. There is also the front PTO bracket that sits just a few inches above the ground and isn't meant to be removed.

I don't think I'll ever go back to a front blower. If I ran a snow removal business and did this all day, then yeah, I can see how some mild discomfort can be annoying if you have to do it all day long, but I have a 1000 foot gravel driveway and it takes two passes to clear with the 64" blower. To think I almost paid 6K instead of 2.5K so that I wouldn't have to do it backwards.
That is exactly the thought process that I am going through. The rear blower is pretty good ballast.

My dealer is also a dealer that sells these.

HLA Snow | 1500 SnowPusher

Put one of them on the FEL and it is quick to change back to the bucket if I need to. Leave the FEL on all the time. Right now the FEL is on my X585 all summer and only comes off when I need to switch to the front blade or blower if things get really bad. For the 6K they want for the front blower on a R machine, I can buy the rear blower, HLA snow pusher and pallet forks. Probably have money left over. Plus my change overs would be so much easier as you mentioned.

I agree they simply want too much for the front blower as you get into a machine that can run a real 3pt rear attachment. Same goes for the mid mount mowers. A Co-worker bought a 2520 a few years back when they were new. For what they wanted for the mid mount mower, he bought a used commercial zero turn from a friend that was trading in some from his lawn service company. While it had a lot of hours, he doesn't use it that much and it does a better job. For the rear blower, they show up all the time at the local auction site. I could pick up a really good one for maybe $1k. It might not be green but $1k buys a lot of paint.

Being the OP is in GA, I suspect blowing snow isn't on his list of needed tasks with global warming and all. It doesn't sound like he is going to run a belly mower so I don't see the need for a R machine. With the digging and other work he listed, more power on the FEL would be better for him. I haven't seen the exact numbers but I would imagine the FEL on a 3025E would lift a couple hundred more pounds. He could go up to a 2032R but that is more money and you are getting into the emissions crap that I would personally avoid unless there was some other compelling reason to go up a size. Even then what about a comparison to the 3032E? Again he still doesn't have a need for mid PTO. The numbers in terms of capabilities are going to be really close but it would be cheaper. I haven't personally compared the two as I don't have a need to step up to a 32hp and deal with emissions.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts