Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I am new to posting so I hope that I am doing this correctly. I currently own a 2016 2025R and am investigating the purchase of a post hole digger. I have researched the PHD's and found that the PHD200 will fit my tractor. What concerns me the most is that I plan on creating an apple orchard and need to put in a bunch of wooden posts. I figure that I will need to put my 12 foot posts about 48 inches into the ground. That shouldn't be a problem because I am starting with 17 acres of beautiful flat pasture in Northeast Pennsylvania. My trouble is that I can find no information on whether a PHD200 attached to a 2025R will be able to lift a 48 inch auger off of the ground. Can anyone please help me with this info?:usa

·
Super Moderator
4,965 Posts
All of the augers Deere sells for the PHD200, PHD300 and PHD400 are 48" long. You should have no issues using a 48" auger on a PHD200 with a 2025R.

The augers for the PHD100 are shorter because that setup is designed for use with the 1-series SCUTS that have a limited Cat-1 3pt hitch. The "limited" issue is limited lifting height. Your 2025R has a full Cat 1 3pt system so you don't have to deal with that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for responding. That's what I was hoping for. My dealer who is absolutely awesome has been trying to dissuade me from purchasing a PHD since I bought the tractor. He said that I would be disappointed in the performance because it has no down force and would be better off renting a skid steer for the times I would need to use one. Unfortunately, my time at the farm is limited now and would need to have the equipment over the coarse of many days. I'm probably looking at 50 - 60 posts. If I rented a skid steer for all of those times, I could buy 2 PHD's.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I have never owned a tractor with down pressure and couldn't begin to count the number of posts, trees, service poles, and shrubs I have punched holes for with my phd. Yeah there's times I've had to use a chunk of pipe for leverage to get it to drill through some tough gravel but not often has those instances occurred.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. My place has been a farm pasture for well over a hundred years so roots shouldn't be a problem. I've found minimal rocks in the first foot or two while tilling. I guess I'll find out the rock situation at the 3-4 foot level. With your experience, can you give me guidance on whether a pilot hole is needed if my final auger will be a 12 inch?

·
Premium Member
10,065 Posts
Very few tractors have downforce on the hitch. If necessary you can purchase an add on downforce kit for most PHDs that has its own cylinder.

Ground and soil conditions will dictate your exact digging procedure, but you can probably go straight to 12" with a little practice. Let it dig a few inches, then lift and clear it, then dig more. If you dig too far down without clearing the auger can get stuck.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Very few tractors have downforce on the hitch. If necessary you can purchase an add on downforce kit for most PHDs that has its own cylinder.

Ground and soil conditions will dictate your exact digging procedure, but you can probably go straight to 12" with a little practice. Let it dig a few inches, then lift and clear it, then dig more. If you dig too far down without clearing the auger can get stuck.
Agreed. I've got a 9" auger on my PHD on my 1025r. Biggest thing you don't want to do is just drop the auger down. Think driving a screw into a block of wood. Not fun to get it unstuck. Just keep going down a few inches at a time and lifting it up to clear the hole. Shouldn't have any issues just using the 12" auger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
When it works like it is supposed to, it's an amazing sight, a 3 to 4 foot deep hole dug in a couple of minutes. When things don't go well (roots, rocks), it can be an incredibly frustrating experience!

It is still much faster than digging holes manually. But the best advice I can offer is make sure you have plenty of shear bolts on hand! :laugh:

·
Registered
309 Posts
I got my TSC post hole digger stuck on the first hole in clay with a 9" bit. After that I figured out clearing the hole a few times and not shutting the PTO off when I started to dig in kept it from getting stuck. I've since drilled about 150 3 feet holes without issue. I did shear the shear bolt on the input once when I hit a large flat rock.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I am surprised that down force is the concern. What I have heard is that the lack of reverse will be a bigger issue. It is my understanding that the hydraulic driven PHDs have the ability to be reversed in those situations where you get stuck. I can see this being a nice thing to have. Given your situation a rental doesn't work well with the requirement for digging on various occasions.

Lee

·
Registered
523 Posts
Your tractor will handle with ease a post hole digger Very good advice from members Go slow/low rpm ,1 ft at time, have a big pipe wrench ready if you get stuck, large bar and post for stones that you may find Try to make small/ diameter holes for posts I would use a 9 for 4x4 post

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I plan on going slowly, retired and loving it. I just don't get up there that frequently yet. I have a 3 foot pipe wrench around here somewhere, just can't remember where I put it or for what reason I purchased it?. Thank you all for your assistance. Now to make my dealer an offer he can't refuse

1 - 13 of 13 Posts