Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking at 2025R tractors both used and the new 2018 model. Could anyone with experience with both give there perspective on the old Gen 1 versus the new Gen 2? I did read somewhere that the Gen 1 was a bigger and heavier machine. Have seen both but have not been able to do a side by side examination. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
The quick & simple answer is that new 2025R is a 1025R with larger wheels. The new 2025R specs are very close to the 1025R specs.

It all depends on what you are planning to do with the tractor.

If you mostly do mowing, the new style 2025R may fit your needs best.

If you mostly need the loader for heave lifting & use 3 point attachments, the old style 2025R may be best.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
While ChrisR is correct in that the 1025R and 2025R have the same/very similar engine/drivetrain, there are differences.
The 2025R has more lift capacity than the 1025R due to higher hydraulic pressure. Loader lift heights are the same. They use different brackets to allow the same loader on both tractors.
The larger tires on the 2025R make a big difference in ride comfort. That may not be important to you.
Controls are in different locations vs the 1025R, which I prefer.

The best thing to do is figure out what you need it for.
Do you need all the loader capacity you can get? The old 2025 may lift more. (I say may because I dont know of anyone thats maxed out their new 2025R with a known weight, its possible since Deere seems to under rate stuff, it may be closer than it looks on paper. Also possible, its nowhere close and the old has a big advantage).
PTO ratings are the same.
3pt lift height seems to be lower on the new one, but may be adjustable. I need to get ahold of a service manual to check, but one person here had his adjusted by the dealer and got a bit more height out of it. Looking at it, there are a few places that appear to be adjustable with regard to lift, so Im sure its possible, how much? No clue.

If you can get a great price on the old one, Id vote that way, but having the warranty sure is nice, though I hope to never need it.
Personally, were I looking at an older model, Id try to find a 2520. A bit more power for everything but similar size.

Reactions: Levi and PJR832

·
Premium Member
Tator
17,064 Posts
While ChrisR is correct in that the 1025R and 2025R have the same/very similar engine/drivetrain, there are differences.
The 2025R has more lift capacity than the 1025R due to higher hydraulic pressure. Loader lift heights are the same. They use different brackets to allow the same loader on both tractors.
The larger tires on the 2025R make a big difference in ride comfort. That may not be important to you.
Controls are in different locations vs the 1025R, which I prefer.

The best thing to do is figure out what you need it for.
Do you need all the loader capacity you can get? The old 2025 may lift more. (I say may because I dont know of anyone thats maxed out their new 2025R with a known weight, its possible since Deere seems to under rate stuff, it may be closer than it looks on paper. Also possible, its nowhere close and the old has a big advantage).
PTO ratings are the same.
3pt lift height seems to be lower on the new one, but may be adjustable. I need to get ahold of a service manual to check, but one person here had his adjusted by the dealer and got a bit more height out of it. Looking at it, there are a few places that appear to be adjustable with regard to lift, so Im sure its possible, how much? No clue.

If you can get a great price on the old one, Id vote that way, but having the warranty sure is nice, though I hope to never need it.
Personally, were I looking at an older model, Id try to find a 2520. A bit more power for everything but similar size.
I'd love to know that.
And I agree, if I could've found a real good older 2 series I would have went for that too.

·
Premium Member
2,089 Posts
I'd love to know that.
And I agree, if I could've found a real good older 2 series I would have went for that too.
I think there is something about the older tractors we all like. I know every time I see a picture of a 2520 or 2720, I wish those larger tires were on my 2038. Especially the front ones.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I'd love to know that.
I thought it was you that had the dealer look at your 3-point...now Im confused. Ill have to go see if I can figure it out.

Anyway, if you look inside the left rear wheel well, above the frame, there is a silver bar with slots and 3 bolts. That appears to be the upper limit stop.
On the other side, there is an adjustable rod connected to the lift lever.
I dont think its as simple as moving that stop further out, but rather a combination of adjustments.
Im going by the dealer today to see what kind of deal they will make me on the service manual for the tractor. $85 from Deere certainly isnt bad, but if they will sell it to me cheaper, since I bought the tractor, well, it never hurts to ask!

·
Premium Member
Tator
17,064 Posts
I think there is something about the older tractors we all like. I know every time I see a picture of a 2520 or 2720, I wish those larger tires were on my 2038. Especially the front ones.
I know, I would love a 2720, still get the HP without the emissions. :good2: I will say this though, what a difference in ride just between my 1 series and this 2025R. No regrets whatsoever, I'm going to my dealer in a few minutes to pick up my box blade, I will ask the service dept. if there is any adjustment that can be made the right way to get my 3 point a little higher. Not looking for much but a few inches would make all the difference in the world at this point.

Reactions: Levi

·
Premium Member
Tator
17,064 Posts
I thought it was you that had the dealer look at your 3-point...now Im confused. Ill have to go see if I can figure it out.

Anyway, if you look inside the left rear wheel well, above the frame, there is a silver bar with slots and 3 bolts. That appears to be the upper limit stop.
I dont think its as simple as moving that stop further out, but rather a combination of adjustments.
Im going by the dealer today to see what kind of deal they will make me on the service manual for the tractor. $85 from Deere certainly isnt bad, but if they will sell it to me cheaper, since I bought the tractor, well, it never hurts to ask!
Not me Jim, I put an adjustable link on both sides and turned them almost all the way up, or shortest, the problem with this "fix" is you lose more on the lower side than you gain on the high side. I'm heading out right now and will ask my dealer for certain if there is an adjustment that can be made.

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
9 Posts
Been looking at 2025R tractors both used and the new 2018 model. Could anyone with experience with both give there perspective on the old Gen 1 versus the new Gen 2? I did read somewhere that the Gen 1 was a bigger and heavier machine. Have seen both but have not been able to do a side by side examination. Thanks!
My neighbor has a Gen1 and I have the Gen2, feels like the same capability to me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
Tator
17,064 Posts
My neighbor has a Gen1 and I have the Gen2, feels like the same capability to me.

I think it all boils down to what you need in a tractor, you lose about 240 lbs lift on FEL and 3 point with the Gen 2, for me my Gen 2 is just fine, other than those two things the Gen 2 is a much nicer tractor IMO.

·
Premium Member
Tator
17,064 Posts

Okay Jim, I asked my dealer, he said raise the 3 point all the way to the top, if you can still lift it by hand then the stops can be adjusted. I did that and could not pick it any further. That didn't totally make sense to me though, if it's on the stop how would I be able to lift by hand :dunno: I looked at mine today, there is clearly about an inch of adjustment still available, an inch on the stop should make for at least a few inches at the end of the arms. I might break down and buy the tech manual and go from there.

Reactions: Levi and goat704!

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Okay Jim, I asked my dealer, he said raise the 3 point all the way to the top, if you can still lift it by hand then the stops can be adjusted. I did that and could not pick it any further. That didn't totally make sense to me though, if it's on the stop how would I be able to lift by hand :dunno: I looked at mine today, there is clearly about an inch of adjustment still available, an inch on the stop should make for at least a few inches at the end of the arms. I might break down and buy the tech manual and go from there.
Yeah, that doesnt make sense. If its up against the stop, obviously it wont go anywhere.
Maybe it cant be adjusted, but Ill know for sure soon.
I went by my dealer too, and while I was there I ordered the Tech manual. Ive got one for all my other Deeres, and a ton of Deeres that I dont have too, figured I wasnt about to break the streak!
Anyway, they said it should be a few days, and once it shows up, Ill take a look and see what the factory adjustment procedure is and if it can be set higher.
Ill let you know then what I find out.

As to the Tech manual, I love having them, but Im a lot handier than some folks, and am not afraid to dig pretty deep into something to fix it myself. Now, having the warranty, I wont need it for a while, but that doesnt mean I wont get any use out of it for stuff like this.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think it all boils down to what you need in a tractor, you lose about 240 lbs lift on FEL and 3 point with the Gen 2, for me my Gen 2 is just fine, other than those two things the Gen 2 is a much nicer tractor IMO.
By the listed specs, it does have less lift than the gen1, but I had my bucket 100% plus full of gravel and it lifted it and delivered the load no problem. I don't know if i can pick up anything heavier with my bucket than a load of rock, so I felt it was a good test I guess if I had pallet forks I could exceed the lifting capacity by quite a bit and it wouldnt match a gen1. I LOVE this machine nonetheless and won't look back...price of the 2032R TLB was out of reach...too many other toys.

·
Premium Member
Tator
17,064 Posts
By the listed specs, it does have less lift than the gen1, but I had my bucket 100% plus full of gravel and it lifted it and delivered the load no problem. I don't know if i can pick up anything heavier with my bucket than a load of rock, so I felt it was a good test I guess if I had pallet forks I could exceed the lifting capacity by quite a bit and it wouldnt match a gen1. I LOVE this machine nonetheless and won't look back...price of the 2032R TLB was out of reach...too many other toys.

I I"m really enjoying mine as well. :good2:

·
Registered
95 Posts
By the listed specs, it does have less lift than the gen1, but I had my bucket 100% plus full of gravel and it lifted it and delivered the load no problem. I don't know if i can pick up anything heavier with my bucket than a load of rock, so I felt it was a good test ...
Yeah, I remember thinking that when moving buckets of crushed stone (3/4" granite)....then I moved 10 yards of stone dust. Holy crap, must have been 40% heavier or more dense.

But yes if you are moving buckets of gravel comfortably, you are in good shape.

Thumper

Reactions: PJR832
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.