Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've inherited an old 2030 tractor, not even sure of the model year, with a 520 loader attachment. it's got some leaks on it, so in an attempt to fix one of those, i took apart the pressure line going from the pump to the rear where the coupling is, cleaned it, and put it back together. all was well. the fluid was a little low, so i put some in it, but while pouring, a few gel like chunks went in the hole. i figured they wouldnt hurt it too much, so i parked it for the night, with the intention of using the next day. but then the problems began.

went to use it, and the front bucket would not work. i checked the fluid, and it wasnt even registering on the dipstick, even though i had filled it the night before and didnt use it. but, there wasnt any fluid on the ground. i figured that was the problem, so put some new fluid in it, but still did not start working. went to park the tractor, then the clutch stopped working all the way. then the power steering went out. the rockshaft will not lift. so, pretty much no hydraulics.

i have not cleaned the screen yet, because i didnt know where it was. i found another thread on here that pointed me in the right direction, so i will try that this evening. however, yesterday we took the supply lines loose from the trans housing and it was flowing a good stream out of it. i hooked up the feed line to the pump, left the return off, and it was flowing fine also. then i loosened a pressure line from the bottom, spun the engine over and it shot fluid out. i dont have a pressure gauge yet, but plan to order one.

is it possible this gel chunk stopped up the whole system?

i can pretty much fix anything, but the problem is, i dont know where anything is at on this tractor. i've looked around for a service manual, but havent found a pdf out there for free. unless someone here is willing to share, i need direction on where the best place is to get one.

any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Welcome to GTT
If hyd filter & screen are in place I seriously doubt a gelled chunk will stop hyd's from operating. Before you do much more diagnostics you need to acquire & study a JD tech manual. Closed center hyd's on a JD tractor can be difficult to diagnose even for an experienced technician. Even if you have to buy a tech manual you'll be ahead of the game

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
When I had problems on my 1020RU I traced it to a dirty sump screen.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
took the screen out, and sure enough, it's got sludge and who knows what all over it. i'm getting a filter today also. will see if that helps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
timbot
For your sake I hope the sludge isn't rear brake material.
Jim
it may be. there were some chunks in there. however, cleaning the screen and replacing the filter did not help. are there any other suggestions while i wait on a service manual?

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
You could check to be sure the hyd filter relief(keys 7-9) valve isn't stuck open. Is your tractor equipped with a FEL,ind pto or hyd hi-lo?

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
You could check to be sure the hyd filter relief(keys 7-9) valve isn't stuck open. Is your tractor equipped with a FEL,ind pto or hyd hi-lo?
it does have a 520 loader, the pto has it's own on/off selector between the hi/low and gear selector.

when i look at the partscatalog.deere.com, the transmission case illustration is different that what you've shown.

valve.jpg
case.jpg

IMG_20190321_141508161.jpg
is this what im looking for?
sorry for the bad angle, trying to get someone to take a pic of it while im at work!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
timbot
The reason my photo looks different from your photo is because 2030 parts catalog doesn't show location of hyd filter relief valve similar to photo I posted BUT IIRC hyd filter relief valve is located in same location on JD utility tractors built from '65-'92. Have you tested hyd's with pto in both on & off positions? Have you tested hyd with FEL hyd's disconnected from tractor? Is loader controlled by an independent 2 spool valve IE not scv????? Yes your red circle is plug for filter relied valve. What does hose in your last photo supply?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
timbot
The reason my photo looks different from your photo is because 2030 parts catalog doesn't show location of hyd filter relief valve similar to photo I posted BUT IIRC hyd filter relief valve is located in same location on JD utility tractors built from '65-'92. Have you tested hyd's with pto in both on & off positions? Have you tested hyd with FEL hyd's disconnected from tractor? Is loader controlled by an independent 2 spool valve IE not scv????? Yes your red circle is plug for filter relied valve. What does hose in your last photo supply?
you were right, the relief valve was behind that plug. it was not hung open. i also checked the pressure relief valve where that hose is coming from in the pic. it was not open either. bother were very clean too.

i did try with the pto on and off. i did remove the lines from the FEL and it still did not have power steering and the rockshaft still wouldnt lift. if im understanding right, it has the independent 2 spool valve. has two cables or lines running from the loader joystick to the box where the 4 lines go to.

i also took the power steering line loose and pointed it away from the tractor, and started it. it shot fluid about 15' across the yard. going to try and get a pressure gauge and fittings for it tomorrow to measure for sure. with all the stuff i've taken loose and it still flowing fluid, it makes me think that the volume is flowing, but it's not building pressure, either at the pump or somewhere else.

the hose in the photo is the pressure line i believe to the FEL. the return line is just below it, heading into the filter housing.

here are a few more photos of the setup.

IMG_20190321_141856940.jpg
IMG_20190321_140103177.jpg
IMG_20190321_140532376.jpg

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
While you have power steering line loose cap it then see if 3 pt will operate. I've seen o-rings blown in steering valve housing causing hyd operation problems. If your hyd valve is similar to the valve in photo it could have a blown inner seal on plug(key 28) causing poor hyd operation

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
While you have power steering line loose cap it then see if 3 pt will operate. I've seen o-rings blown in steering valve housing causing hyd operation problems. If your hyd valve is similar to the valve in photo it could have a blown inner seal on plug(key 28) causing poor hyd operation
i placed a cap over the power steering, still no luck. while it was capped, i added a plug to the auxiliary hydro line going to the FEL to isolate it also, effectively only having the 3 point connected to the hyd line, and it still didnt raise. im going to try and track down a pressure gauge tomorrow, and if i cant find one, order it. my service manual should be here around wednesday.

any other suggestions while i wait?

·
Premium Member
7,425 Posts
Looking at the pictures in post #11, Red knob on trans dip stick (mine has knurled metal knob JD green) , lift rod for PTO (mine has a lever) makes me wonder if this might not be a 2030? :dunno: Maybe 2x40 series? :dunno:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Looking at the pictures in post #11, Red knob on trans dip stick (mine has knurled metal knob JD green) , lift rod for PTO (mine has a lever) makes me wonder if this might not be a 2030? :dunno: Maybe 2x40 series? :dunno:
it may not be. however, i hope it is, just ordered a 2030 manual! the hood has 2030 on the side, and the serial plate is covered by the loader bracket, but under type you can see 030, code is 203sa, serial 247537 with L printed at the end.

i tracked down a pressure gauge today. tested at the end of the power steering line and with the power steering line capped off, and at the end of the pressure line going into the pressure control valve. both read the same, 450-500 psi, constant. makes me think there is a relief valve stuck open with it being constant like that, at any rpm.

would number 24 in the pic cause this? this is the only one i havent taken out yet, unless there is a hidden one besides above the filter housing, and in the control valve.

pump.jpg

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
According to 2030 parts catalog #4143 2030's built in Mannheim had red knob in trans dipstick. And had lift knob for pto after SN 182214

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,425 Posts
OK, German built, that must be why. Mines USA built and all I have seen are also USA built. :hide:

·
Registered
11,206 Posts
Good find, TxJim.:thumbup1gif:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts