Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
66 hours. After cutting grass for an hour and turning off tractor, it will not start backup. Sitting in seat, gear selector in neutral, pto off, turn key, dash lights up, beep heard, turn key to engage starter, all lights go off, nothing. Keep trying after moving gear selector, again nothing. All lights go off. It does this continually till finally it engages and Tractor cranks up. Maybe 10 attempts. Any ideas please?

·
Premium Member
10,676 Posts
Sounds like the battery. Do you have a battery tester or multimeter? If so, measure the battery voltage at rest and then again when you turn the key to the crank position. Let us know what the two voltages are. I have a feeling the voltage is dropping to near zero when you try to crank.

Could also be the battery connections. Remove the battery connections, clean terminals and battery posts, reconnect and tighten.

·
Registered
11,643 Posts
66 hours. After cutting grass for an hour and turning off tractor, it will not start backup. Sitting in seat, gear selector in neutral, pto off, turn key, dash lights up, beep heard, turn key to engage starter, all lights go off, nothing. Keep trying after moving gear selector, again nothing. All lights go off. It does this continually till finally it engages and Tractor cranks up. Maybe 10 attempts. Any ideas please?

Sounds like the battery. Do you have a battery tester or multimeter? If so, measure the battery voltage at rest and then again when you turn the key to the crank position. Let us know what the two voltages are. I have a feeling the voltage is dropping to near zero when you try to crank.

Could also be the battery connections. Remove the battery connections, clean terminals and battery posts, reconnect and tighten.

since it does eventually start--i wouldn't think it would be the switch:dunno:

my guess--:unknown:is the battery terminals are a bit dirty not making good connections--or it could be the battery:unknown:i have went thru 3 batteries in the 13 yrs so far. this last one has lasted the longest:hide: probably will die now.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
If it eventually starts.. Rule out battery. Check connections. Dont just look. Take em off.. Clean, reconnect. Bright and tight. I've seen crap key switches. More than a couple. I've seen wires backed out of connectors/plugs. Wiggle, jiggle. When it wont turn over, hold the key to start.. Wiggle jiggle the wiring harness, battery cables ect.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,676 Posts
If it eventually starts.. Rule out battery. Check connections. Dont just look. Take em off.. Clean, reconnect. Bright and tight. I've seen crap key switches. More than a couple. I've seen wires backed out of connectors/plugs. Wiggle, jiggle. When it wont turn over, hold the key to start.. Wiggle jiggle the wiring harness, battery cables ect.
While you are probably correct, prudent troubleshooting practice would dictate that you assume nothing and a component, however unlikely, isn't eliminated until it is eliminated. I had a wet cell battery once that had some kind of intermittent internal connection issue with one of the terminals. It would load test good one moment and the next appear like a dud.

·
Premium Member
13,934 Posts
I'm with xcopterdoc ,, ,,yes it could be a bad battery , but more than likely a loose wire or dirty connection.

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
Check the wire at the starter solenoid. Someone had an issue with that on a 38r. It was stretched tight to connect it and I don’t remember if it came off but it was a simple fix.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No Luck

I tried the recommendations suggested per the battery. No luck. Cables clean and very tight. Only 67 hours on this tractor. 12.7 cold voltage. 14.4 volts engine operating temperature hot. Turned the deck on also. Ran it at 2000 rpm for 35 minutes. Turned off and waited a couple minutes. Did the problem one time by not starting. No lights on dash. Tried again and it started the second time and subsequent attempts were good. Problem must come and go. Dealer cannot fix what is not broke. Battery and cables are good.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I tried the recommendations suggested per the battery. No luck. Cables clean and very tight. Only 67 hours on this tractor. 12.7 cold voltage. 14.4 volts engine operating temperature hot. Turned the deck on also. Ran it at 2000 rpm for 35 minutes. Turned off and waited a couple minutes. Did the problem one time by not starting. No lights on dash. Tried again and it started the second time and subsequent attempts were good. Problem must come and go. Dealer cannot fix what is not broke. Battery and cables are good.
Not saying it's your problem, but one time I had a 1989 Mazda 323. It was brand new. On day one it would suddenly not start at all, like no battery was even installed. I took it back to the dealer and it worked fine. I played dealer tag for a few days before it died for them too. They had to re-crimp the positive battery cable connecter and that fixed the problem.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
While you are probably correct, prudent troubleshooting practice would dictate that you assume nothing and a component, however unlikely, isn't eliminated until it is eliminated. I had a wet cell battery once that had some kind of intermittent internal connection issue with one of the terminals. It would load test good one moment and the next appear like a dud.
I agree.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I've dealt with this on a different jd tractor......I'll hold my thoughts for a bit.

My problem was never resolved......Sold the low hour 955 and kept the 955 Smoker think ( Mad Max)

I have some theorys...just that..maybes.

Keep us posted....

:munch:

·
Registered
580 Posts
I had an issue with my 2038r where the key switch wire to the starter was not given enough slack in the harness and eventually started loosing contact. Everything else tested good. I'd double check that wire, it's on the rear of the starter and a bit hard to notice. It's he small wire, not the large from the battery.

2017 2038r, 220r loader, 72" MMM, 66" EA Box blade, Woodmax FM-62 flail mower, Artillian forks, JD KBL 6' 1950s discs, subsoiler

·
Registered
129 Posts
Mine does the same thing

So i also have a 2018 2038R and it does the same thing, but after about 10 minutes of being off it will start right back up. So I have started to let it idle for a couple minutes before switching the key off, seems to work. Dont know if its some sort of idle down/cool down thing or what. Its annoying if you lift off the seat to much and she shuts down. Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
10,676 Posts
So i also have a 2018 2038R and it does the same thing, but after about 10 minutes of being off it will start right back up. So I have started to let it idle for a couple minutes before switching the key off, seems to work. Dont know if its some sort of idle down/cool down thing or what. Its annoying if you lift off the seat to much and she shuts down. Just my 2 cents.
Are you saying your tractor will not START or will not CRANK? I believe the problem with the OP's tractor is it will not CRANK.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
You should never have this fixed. It will save your tractor in the long term. Like a sort of free turbo-timer.

But the OP has a 32, which doesn’t need a cool down period.

·
Registered
129 Posts
You should never have this fixed. It will save your tractor in the long term. Like a sort of free turbo-timer.

But the OP has a 32, which doesn’t need a cool down period.
Hahaha, should have had my glasses on, just knew it said 2038, hahaha. sorry i jumped in here with my problems, hahahaha

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I had a somewhat similar issue on my x758. Turns out the issue there was that one of the battery cables was loose inside the terminal. The cable-to-terminal connection, not the terminal-to-battery connection. I'm not sure how they fasten those terminals on but it seems like just press-fit. I used a big pliers and squeezed the terminal hard onto the cable and it hasn't had an issue since. Took a long time to find that issue.

Rob

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
Sounds like you've already chased down the possible gremlins with the battery and starting circuit and come up empty-handed. Could this problem somehow be related to the RIO system?

Sincerely

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update to original problem

Update - John Deere Technician looked at the problem. Immediately went to the battery. Cables looked good. Battery ok. He removed the negative cable. Both ends were good. Checked the area where negative cable bolted onto the frame. Dark in color. Suspected black paint from factory. Used sandpaper to remove paint and shined up the area. Reinstalled neg. cable. Time will tell. He said if not that, then replace ignition switch with exact jd part number. Reason- 2019 model ignition switch will not fit 2018 wiring harness. Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts