Green Tractor Talk banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Update - John Deere Technician looked at the problem. Immediately went to the battery. Cables looked good. Battery ok. He removed the negative cable. Both ends were good. Checked the area where negative cable bolted onto the frame. Dark in color. Suspected black paint from factory. Used sandpaper to remove paint and shined up the area. Reinstalled neg. cable. Time will tell. He said if not that, then replace ignition switch with exact jd part number. Reason- 2019 model ignition switch will not fit 2018 wiring harness. Hope this helps.
Did you check where the cables connect into the battery terminal clamps? Grab that terminal clamp and pull it hard. You might find it comes off or at least moves. Both the terminal clamp and frame connection can be perfect but overall the circuit may be weak due to the cable-to-terminal join.

Rob

·
Registered
55 Posts
Neutral Safety Switch and Connection?

Be sure to check the Neutral Safety Switch connection and the switch itself. Mine came loose at one point (working clearing some brush) and I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't crank.

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Faulty ignition switch

I had a similar problem on my 2017 1025R. Sometimes would start, other time would not crank even though all lights came on as if everything functioning normal. Turned out to be a defective ignition switch. Replaced by dealer under warranty, no problems since

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
i bet the problem could have very well been that sketchy ground wire connection, a bad ground can be a very pesky, intermittent problem. Hope you're all fixed!

·
Registered
2 Posts
2305 hard starting

66 hours. After cutting grass for an hour and turning off tractor, it will not start backup. Sitting in seat, gear selector in neutral, pto off, turn key, dash lights up, beep heard, turn key to engage starter, all lights go off, nothing. Keep trying after moving gear selector, again nothing. All lights go off. It does this continually till finally it engages and Tractor cranks up. Maybe 10 attempts. Any ideas please?
I had a problem with my 2305 hard starting also. I fixed the problem by replacing the battery cables. I used #2 copper wire automotive cables. Extended the ground cable to a bolt on the starter. Have not had a problem with hard starting since even in cold weather. Be sure to leave the jumper where the orignal ground connected.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Intermittent no start

66 hours. After cutting grass for an hour and turning off tractor, it will not start backup. Sitting in seat, gear selector in neutral, pto off, turn key, dash lights up, beep heard, turn key to engage starter, all lights go off, nothing. Keep trying after moving gear selector, again nothing. All lights go off. It does this continually till finally it engages and Tractor cranks up. Maybe 10 attempts. Any ideas please?
You need to remove the ground cable from the frame or engine and clean the area real good. This should fix your start problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
2nd update - well it was not cleaning the negative battery to frame connection. Same problem. Now I have replaced the ignition switch. Very easy to do this. The ignition switch mates up and presses into the wiring harness connector. Only will fit one way. JD factory used a plastic pull tie over the assembly to squeeze together. Poor approach. I removed it and used a band clamp/water hose type clamp to reasonably tighten the ignition switch to the harness connector. Put it all back together. Time will tell. If I cut grass for an hour that is the real test. I will be back with it’s fixed or not yet.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
2nd update - well it was not cleaning the negative battery to frame connection. Same problem. Now I have replaced the ignition switch. Very easy to do this. The ignition switch mates up and presses into the wiring harness connector. Only will fit one way. JD factory used a plastic pull tie over the assembly to squeeze together. Poor approach. I removed it and used a band clamp/water hose type clamp to reasonably tighten the ignition switch to the harness connector. Put it all back together. Time will tell. If I cut grass for an hour that is the real test. I will be back with it’s fixed or not yet.
Did you check the battery cable-to-clamp connection like I mentioned above?

21 - 28 of 28 Posts