Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had issues with catching their boots on the key and bending or breaking it? I have gone thru several keys and they aren’t cheap but in addtition to that I am afraid at some point I’m going to break one off and not be able to get it out. So far they have bent and cracked and I’ve been able to replace before breaking off completely.

I did take one key and ground most of the head off so there was just enough to grab on to and that worked for a while but I eventually caught that one too. It would be nice to figure out some kind of guard or other solution. If anyone has ideas let me know. I’m sure smaller feet would help:laugh:

·
Premium Member
13,011 Posts
I can sympathize with your problem. I've always scratched my head and wondered why on some tractors JD insisted on putting the key dead center on the front of the console - the area closest to the operator. On previous generations it was located more to the right past the apex of the console curve and more out of harms way.

Do you find you hit it with your boot while operating the tractor or only when getting in/out of the seat?

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
I've hit mine with my boot and with my knee, getting on with the knee and getting off with the boot.

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
I did it once with my size 13 foot, but I was careful/mindful not to again for a few weeks and now I guess it's just muscle memory.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I hit mine nearly ever time and it’s almost 90* bent. It’s hell getting a size 14 boot through there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Holy crap what a foundation you have there. What do you do when you buy shoes? Throw away the shoes and wear the box? :flag_of_truce:

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
Oof, I haven't had any problems with the location, *yet*, but I've had it only 11 hours. Time will tell. I also questioned the location as being weird.

Reactions: greenharley

·
Registered
11 Posts
Key was bent when dealer dropped off new 2032r

Agree that Deere put this ignition in a sub-optimal place. I got my new 2032r dropped off 2 weeks ago. Dealer pulled away. I went to take the key out of tractor after dealer left and it was bent at a 60 degree angle. Plus I only received one key. Dealer ordered me two more at no charge. You can also order new keys on Amazon. Two for $12.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can sympathize with your problem. I've always scratched my head and wondered why on some tractors JD insisted on putting the key dead center on the front of the console - the area closest to the operator. On previous generations it was located more to the right past the apex of the console curve and more out of harms way.

Do you find you hit it with your boot while operating the tractor or only when getting in/out of the seat?
I am usually fine once I’m in the seat but getting off I seem to catch it on my boots. I agree though that it could have been to the side and slightly higher. I try to be careful and keep a spare key with me but was hoping someone in the GTT world had come up with a creative solution.

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
This is am interesting thread, because I am having the same issue with the lever for the parking brake lever on my Classic 2025R. I set the parking brake, then my knee hits it when I get off the tractor & either releases it or jars it enough the it releases on its own later on. It has become a real safety issue because all my property slopes. I do not remember it being much of an issue when I had a 2320, but my body was younger & more flexible then.

I am considering a new 2032R to replace the 2025r. My dealer has not had any on the lot for me to take a good look at. I was there the other day & they had one in the shop that was sold. I did not notice the key, but the key may not have been in it. I just looked at the online manual. I am sure my knee would be hitting the key also. I am going to have to look more into this.

I wonder if the switch could be moved a few inches around to the right side?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts