Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a weird occurrence today with my 2032R that has me a little worried. Tractor has 50 hours. I was running the tractor this morning and everything was fine. The tractor started an active regen cycle, its second lifetime one and everything seemed ok. I took off down the road to go deploy a sign, 2000 rpm in high range. I started climbing a sort of steep hill and about half way up I started quickly losing rpms. I tried just slowing down but the tractor was on its way to stalling so I stopped. I thought something might be up with auto throttle so I shut that off and gave the engine some more throttle but I didn't have enough power to get moving again. I put it into low range and after a little struggle to get traction in the snow made it to the top of the hill. Put it back in high range and went back about my business. Engine power seemed to be back but the exhaust sounded different and not good. It almost sounded like a car with a large hole in the muffler. I needed my tractor to unload a delivery that just showed up so I pushed on since no warning lights were flashing. It ran ok other than sounding off. The regen finished and I finished unloading so I shut the tractor down. I restarted it later and it I think it was back to normal sounding but it was kind of hard to tell. Definitely didn't sound as bad as before. I had to go get the sign and the tractor had no trouble making the hill in high range. Anything like this happen to anyone else?

·
Premium Member
1,709 Posts
Can't say I have ever experienced anything like this with my 2038R. When it goes into regen mode, I sometimes cancel and wait for a more appropriate time. Never heard a difference in the exhaust sound.....

Sincerely

·
Registered
112 Posts
Definitely not normal based on my experience. I don't think you should even be able to notice any difference in regen except that the engine won't idle.

Is there any chance you might be having a fuel gel issue? You mentioned being out in the snow and I wonder if you were starting to gel and that plus the regen starved the engine? It wouldn't explain the louder exhaust though.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Don't have a machine with a DPF but does it bring up the RPM itself to do a regen? If so does it put it back where it was when done? Could that be what you experienced?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
609 Posts
Don't have a machine with a DPF but does it bring up the RPM itself to do a regen? If so does it put it back where it was when done? Could that be what you experienced?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
During a regen it increases the RPM to some minimum. Around 2000 if I remember right. You can always increase it from there. There is obviously more it does to the engine because the machine gets a lot hotter during regen then running WOT even does. But I’m not clear what else it is doing to achieve that. I’ve had regen happen when mowing while on some hills where I’d notice any power loss and I’ve not noticed a loss on my 2038.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2017 2038r 72” MMM Command Cut 220r loader

·
Registered
200 Posts
My last regen happened while I was doing some loader work at Lower RPM’s. The display instructed me to increase RPM’s so the regen could occur, MY2017 2038R, no loss of any power though.

·
Premium Member
1,412 Posts
Have you tried taking it to the dealer or having them do a house call? There may be stored codes in the ECU.

·
Super Moderator
5,494 Posts
I don't know anything about the newer 2 Series. Jamone posted the tractor runs hotter in Regen mode. So my question is why run the tractor in that mode? Is there a benefit?

·
Premium Member
1,412 Posts
I don't know anything about the newer 2 Series. Jamone posted the tractor runs hotter in Regen mode. So my question is why run the tractor in that mode? Is there a benefit?
I think the only benefit is that you don't have to do a parked regen. I did one just to see what it was like, and it wasn't bad at all. Took about 20 minutes, didn't get that hot. Overall a pretty simple thing. Before I did that, I was concerned about regen and watched my soot levels. Now I don't care. It's just not that big a deal, unless there is something wrong with your tractor.

In road trucks, DPFs cause all kinds of problems, especially combined with turbos (which they almost always are). In tractors, I don't think we run them enough for any of that to come up, short of a manufacturer's defect. But that's why we have warranties!

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Does the tractor sit outside? It seems like power loss in a diesel is almost always a fuel issue... Maybe gelling or algae growth in the tank, lines, or filters.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does the tractor sit outside? It seems like power loss in a diesel is almost always a fuel issue... Maybe gelling or algae growth in the tank, lines, or filters.
The tractor does live outside and it was pretty cold that day, high teens low twenties though I had been running the tractor a fair amount that day and the engine was by no means cold. I would be a little surprised if it was a fuel issue and so random and quick to resolve itself. I should probably give the dealer a call and see if I can have them come out and check for codes. I am still a bit baffled about the change in exhaust note. It seriously sounded like a jalopy for about 20 minutes until the regen finished.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts