Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're about to go green with a new Gen 2 2032R with 220R Loader and a 270B Backhoe. Any recommendations on best bucket sizes?

Thanks!
Dan
:greentractorride:

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
We're about to go green with a new Gen 2 2032R with 220R Loader and a 270B Backhoe. Any recommendations on best bucket sizes?

Thanks!
Dan
Depends on what you’re planning to do with it! I went with the HD bucket because I planned on digging rocky soil and I need it to be rugged. If you’re going to move mulch, get the high capacity materials bucket. For medium duty get the standard bucket.

Sincerely

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Loader use will be around 50/50 top soil and rocky soil. Some gravel as needed.

Backhoe will be used to dig footer for a 30-foot wall, remove a couple of stumps, and general purpose digging as needed. All in rocky soil.

Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I cant comment on front bucket, except to say heavier duty is going to last longer, though I cant say Ive ever read of someone wearing out their regular bucket.
As to the backhoe, when I got my 260B, I initially thought Id get the standard bucket and if I wanted something else Id just get it later, but quickly changed my mind. The standard bucket on that is an 8".
I knew I would be digging trenches, so the 8" bucket was a no brainer. It will also work well for stumps. It would have been nice to just get all 3, but Im quite sure one would have never been used.
I ended up getting the 16" wide bucket over the 12" because my thought process at the time was that digging with the 16" would be faster for larger holes, and from the videos Id seen, the extra width isnt a problem for the hoe. Anything Id need to put in a 12" wide trench would probably be easier in a 16". The 8" should be good for conduits, small drains, etc. Anything else gets the 16. Or at least thats the general idea for me.
Id think your 270B has the same size buckets available.
Some guys go with the 12" only, and use it for everything.

Reactions: North585

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
I cant comment on front bucket, except to say heavier duty is going to last longer, though I cant say Ive ever read of someone wearing out their regular bucket.
As to the backhoe, when I got my 260B, I initially thought Id get the standard bucket and if I wanted something else Id just get it later, but quickly changed my mind. The standard bucket on that is an 8".
I knew I would be digging trenches, so the 8" bucket was a no brainer. It will also work well for stumps. It would have been nice to just get all 3, but Im quite sure one would have never been used.
I ended up getting the 16" wide bucket over the 12" because my thought process at the time was that digging with the 16" would be faster for larger holes, and from the videos Id seen, the extra width isnt a problem for the hoe. Anything Id need to put in a 12" wide trench would probably be easier in a 16". The 8" should be good for conduits, small drains, etc. Anything else gets the 16. Or at least thats the general idea for me.
Id think your 270B has the same size buckets available.
Some guys go with the 12" only, and use it for everything.
I purchased all three bucket sizes when I purchased my 2038R tractor with 270B backhoe. I had a feeling I would need them all and I was right....

Sincerely

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Jim. I searched and didn't find complaints about the loader bucket failing so I might not worry about that one. The 12" backhoe bucket sounds good because of the footer for the wall and it will be easy to clean out the ditches in the spring. If I ever need to replace one the stock water lines I might get a 6" bucket.

Dan

·
Premium Member
12,688 Posts
Reactions: Fade2Blk and PJR832

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Not sure about the manual for the new 220R loader, but it’s not vastly different than the H130 on my Gen1 2032R and it’s manual says the 61” bucket is reserved for light/bulky materials like mulch or snow. The 49” and 54” are the dense/heavy materials buckets as when full they’ll be as close as they like to the listed capacity of the loader/machine.

I’d definitely say the 49” is too small for your 23R, the 54” may be a perfect middle and the 61” (what I have) can definitely be used as long as the operator keeps the machine limitations in mind when loading it-ie. taking less than full buckets of heavy/dense materials.

Also keep in mind that as a digging tool the bucked will loose effectiveness the wider it is.

·
Premium Member
12,688 Posts
Not sure about the manual for the new 220R loader, but it’s not vastly different than the H130 on my Gen1 2032R and it’s manual says the 61” bucket is reserved for light/bulky materials like mulch or snow. The 49” and 54” are the dense/heavy materials buckets as when full they’ll be as close as they like to the listed capacity of the loader/machine.

I’d definitely say the 49” is too small for your 23R, the 54” may be a perfect middle and the 61” (what I have) can definitely be used as long as the operator keeps the machine limitations in mind when loading it-ie. taking less than full buckets of heavy/dense materials.

Also keep in mind that as a digging tool the bucked will loose effectiveness the wider it is.
The bucket choices are a bit different for the 220R loader. As you can see, they increased the default bucket to 57-in. due to the Gen-2 tractors being wider.

1. For loaders installed out of Augusta, GA on tractors, the base bucket will be the 1350-mm (53-in.) bucket.

2. It is also compatible with the 220R Loader, as the carrier assembly is the same (but may not cover the width of the model year 2017 2R Series Tractor).

3. When the 220R Loader is ordered factory installed on model year 2017 2R Tractors, the 1450-mm (57-in.) materials bucket is base equipment.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,579 Posts
So they (JD) don't consider the 61" a heavy duty bucket now. Strange. I'm assuming it's not built beefy like the older 61" either. I like the HD 61" because it is wider than the tractor and that has always benefited me when using it. Not one negative with it either. I guess JD had their reason for the "new" HD bucket to only be a 57".

·
Premium Member
12,688 Posts
So they (JD) don't consider the 61" a heavy duty bucket now. Strange. I'm assuming it's not built beefy like the older 61" either. I like the HD 61" because it is wider than the tractor and that has always benefited me when using it. Not one negative with it either. I guess JD had their reason for the "new" HD bucket to only be a 57".
They still offer the 61-inch HD bucket which has holes for a bolt-on cutting edge (BW14764). But JD does not list it as a bucket for a 2-series loader. The 3-series loaders are the smallest which list this bucket. That doesn't mean it won't fit a smaller tractor but due to the weight JD only recommends it for 3-series and up.

The weight really is its disadvantage.

61-in HD bucket with holes (BW14764) 273 lbs.
61-in materials bucket (BW14146) 211 lbs.

·
Super Moderator
5,579 Posts
They still offer the 61-inch HD bucket which has holes for a bolt-on cutting edge (BW14764). But JD does not list it as a bucket for a 2-series loader. The 3-series loaders are the smallest which list this bucket. That doesn't mean it won't fit a smaller tractor but due to the weight JD only recommends it for 3-series and up.

The weight really is its disadvantage.

61-in HD bucket with holes (BW14764) 273 lbs.
61-in materials bucket (BW14146) 211 lbs.
The bucket with the replaceable cutting edge is what I got with mine in 2009. It in fact was listed for my 2520 back then. I do understand the weight deal but I've never had any issues regardless of what I'm doing. Whether with the cutting edge or my tooth bar.

·
Premium Member
12,688 Posts
The bucket with the replaceable cutting edge is what I got with mine in 2009. It in fact was listed for my 2520 back then. I do understand the weight deal but I've never had any issues regardless of what I'm doing. Whether with the cutting edge or my tooth bar.
I'm not sure when it changed. The loader accessories brochure from 2016 only lists it for 3-series and up. I agree it can be useful on a smaller tractor but I'm sure JD took into consideration that the 61-in bucket (273 lb) and bolt-on cutting edge (124 lb) was 367 lbs not including the weight of the hardware. That is a lot of weight to subtract from the loader's lifting capacity compared to the 57-inch bucket which only weighs 206 lb. A 49-inch bucket only weighs 161 lbs.

Reactions: jdforever

·
Premium Member
13,625 Posts
Loader use will be around 50/50 top soil and rocky soil. Some gravel as needed.

Thanks,
Dan
Based on this right here you will have no issues with the standard bucket IMO, the standard buckets can take quite a bit of abuse in normal use. That said, without looking I don't know cost difference between the standard and HD bucket to base an opinion whether it's worth it or not.

Reactions: DanSpence

·
Super Moderator
8,133 Posts
When ordering the 220R Loader for my Gen I 2032R I selected the 57" HD Bucket with loops. It was just a few dollars more than the standard 57" bucket.

I have the 61" HD bucket on the 3320 and it's interchangeable between both rigs so no need for another tooth bar. Around here anything used for digging is going to get a workout. I'll likely use the 220R / 57" HD bucket for mulch and topsoil duty.

·
Super Moderator
5,579 Posts
I'm not sure when it changed. The loader accessories brochure from 2016 only lists it for 3-series and up. I agree it can be useful on a smaller tractor but I'm sure JD took into consideration that the 61-in bucket (273 lb) and bolt-on cutting edge (124 lb) was 367 lbs not including the weight of the hardware. That is a lot of weight to subtract from the loader's lifting capacity compared to the 57-inch bucket which only weighs 206 lb. A 49-inch bucket only weighs 161 lbs.
That is a substantial difference in weight. The reason I got that bucket was because it was listed as an option for my tractor. The cutting edge is always on, except for times of needing the tooth bar. When I used to fix our road, I had no trouble with a completely full bucket of 2B modified gravel.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Based on this right here you will have no issues with the standard bucket IMO, the standard buckets can take quite a bit of abuse in normal use. That said, without looking I don't know cost difference between the standard and HD bucket to base an opinion whether it's worth it or not.
Looks like $300 more for the heavy duty bucket. I've been leaning toward the standard bucket. I realized that most of the time I'll be digging dirt and/or rocks loose with the backhoe then just moving or loading with the FEL.

Any idea of the weight?

Thanks,
Dan

·
Premium Member
3,918 Posts
My bucket on my 4044M seemed weak being 72" wide with a welded on cutting edge? It just started to bow a tiny bit right off the bat when new. I just bought another cutting edge and welded it on top of the old one and held it back a little so the chisel angle ran into the top one. After 2 years of use it is still nice and flat and works good. I did not want to bend it lifting things!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts