Green Tractor Talk banner

2032R Front Weight Bracket Build

5K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  The Satch 
#1 ·
I'm building a front weight bracket for my large frame 2 series. I needed something removable, since the John Deere bracket interferes with the loader stand. This is my first time welding, and I had a friend show me the ropes and supervise. It's 1/2" hot rolled steel, sized for ten 42-pound suitcase weights. My plan is to paint it JD yellow, which hopefully will help to distract from my amazing welding skills. I would really like to add the decal that is on my gun safe, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Does anyone know where I can buy this particular decal (or one very similar)? It would need to be under 4" tall, as that is the height of the bracket.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
If you pour concrete it’s guaranteed to crack, and if I weld it is never pretty. As long as the welds hold they are good.
It looks like a solid design and solid work and should serve you well, good job.

That was never an official registered trademark of John Deere since they didn’t register one until the 1870’s. Based on the timeline on the below link, it seems to have been a sign of the company around 1850.

The problem is everybody making decals makes them for restoration folks to use and you are way back beyond what they stock for. Perhaps the safe company could be the best bet to hook you up with one.

John Deere Tractors Deere

Here is a link to a good graphic of it on the John Deere website.

https://www.deere.com/en/our-company/john-deere-careers/interview-resources/fun-facts/

#4 ·
If you pour concrete it’s guaranteed to crack, and if I weld it is never pretty. As long as the welds hold they are good.
It looks like a solid design and solid work and should serve you well, good job.

That was never an official registered trademark of John Deere since they didn’t register one until the 1870’s. Based on the timeline on the below link, it seems to have been a sign of the company around 1850.

The problem is everybody making decals makes them for restoration folks to use and you are way back beyond what they stock for. Perhaps the safe company could be the best bet to hook you up with one.

John Deere Tractors Deere

Here is a link to a good graphic of it on the John Deere website.

https://www.deere.com/en/our-company/john-deere-careers/interview-resources/fun-facts/
Thanks, it was fun to make, and I appreciate the links. I just got off the phone with Liberty, and the design is a silk screen, so that's out. Looks like I will be going with a different design that's more readily available.

Don't bother sticking a sticker on the front of your bracket … The first time you add the weights it'll be so scuffed up you won't be able to read it anyway …
My plan is to add the graphic over the yellow, then use this 2- part clear to clear coat the whole thing. I used it on the underside of the mower deck on my 345 and it has held up well, so while I know it may end up looking terrible, I'm hoping it looks ok for a while.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0043B7UQY/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A1CURR6B49VGZR&psc=1

#7 ·
The best advice I ever got from a welder friend is that no weld is so ugly that a grinder can’t make it look better.

I took that to heart and have followed the imparted wisdom ever since.

Keep practicing - they’ll look better as time goes on.

Reactions: Herminator
#11 ·
Oh, you haven't seen some of my welds... I've done some pretty ugly inside corners where you just can't get a grinder to do anything with them...

:)

Rob

Reactions: rtgt and Herminator
#8 · (Edited)
Good idea on the way to make it removeable. You might want to add a pin or something so it cannot bounce off.

#9 ·
Thanks, I thought about a pin, but the fit is very good, and if I manage to bounce 420 pounds of weight off the front end, I will be shocked. The current bracket doesn't secure the weights, and I have never had an issue with them, but a pin will be added if it does become an issue.

I thought about grinding the welds, but there's so much material there, I decided to smooth what I could get to easily, and leave the rest.

#13 ·
Well, due to time constraints, I ended up with no graphic on the bracket. Which is good, because Gwizz was right, first time putting weights on took some paint off down to the metal. It functions well, size is perfect, maybe 1/4" of play total between the weights. Mowing will come tomorrow though, because it's deer season and I need to get out to my hunting spot.

Attachments

#14 ·
With the 10 weights plus the weight of your home made mount I figure you're looking at nearly 500 pounds out front …
Is that much weight really needed to counter the bagger? … :dunno:

#15 ·
Normally I would say no, but I was told I should have half the weight of the bagger out front due to the hill I have to mow. Loaded, the bagger can be over 600 pounds, and I figured if in going to hang 300 pounds off the front, I might as well match the OEM configuration fairly closely. Total weight of the bracket and weights should be 462 pounds. Here's a photo of the hill, there's a few spots that are steeper. The camera is level, I just couldn't hold steady enough to get the level in the shot.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.