Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2032R, 220R loader, 60"MMM,270B backhoe
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello beautiful people So after a couple snow dumps in eastern Ontario, our livestock quickly turned it to ice from walking on it. This made getting around super inoying. So a call to my dealer and they wanted $490 plus tax. For a rear set of tire chains only. Thought that was a little dear!

So after a little research and some math this is what I came up with. I was able to build a set for each tire.

143ft of 3/16" twisted like chain
54ft of 1/4" chain
8 of 1/4" split chain links
6 of 18" rubber bungie cord
6 of 10" rubber bungie cord

I was just over $230 for all that

I figure I have 12 hr into making the rear chains and 6.5 hr in to the front chains.

I still think I am ahead and I did all 4 tires.hope this inspires you guys to save some money.
20210123_122142.jpg
20210123_132753.jpg
20210124_143800.jpg
20210124_144133.jpg
20210221_152303.jpg
20210221_152318.jpg

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Look great,, I like the design. (y)

For me close to 20 yrs ago, I had at least 6 pairs of old pickup-car chains . Can't remember all but the details but took the hook off one crosslink. Then took and cut a crosslink to the length I needed put a cold link or what ever it is called. Welded everything together. Have not replaced one cross link . I did notice they are getting thin , and I would hate to guess how many miles I've put on these chains.
Like you spent maybe 2 afternoons building the chains and have maybe $20 invested.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Ok I see how you joined yours , when I bent my back down like yours I was afraid they would pull apart, so I welded every place I made a joint.
Used a Hobart EZ mig welder. .FIL told me they would never . That was close to 20 yrs ago.

·
Registered
13,083 Posts
Ok I see how you joined yours , when I bent my back down like yours I was afraid they would pull apart, so I welded every place I made a joint.
Used a Hobart EZ mig welder. .FIL told me they would never . That was close to 20 yrs ago.
i thought the same thing ET-he should weld them them as if he gets to spinning them links are gonnna open up i'm afraid. looks good oh.

my dad never bought any new chains in his life. he made all his he ever had.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i thought the same thing ET-he should weld them them as if he gets to spinning them links are gonnna open up i'm afraid. looks good oh.

my dad never bought any new chains in his life. he made all his he ever had.
O yes I I welded all the joints shut with a spot weld!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
39,894 Posts
Nice job Jschade.

I made chains for our JD650 back in 1988, all four corners. Never again will I do that. 🤣
Still using the front chains I made on the JD2320.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Very impressive work. I bought the ladder chains from JD when I got my 2032R. The way they fit on my R4 tires had me bumping all over the place. I took them off and so far am not missing them. I should get some proper chains though. Just in case.

Looks like you have a backhoe as well. I had to get the wheel spacers for the rear to have the chains clear the backhoe mount. I can't quite tell if you have them in the picture.

·
Premium Member
11,567 Posts
That's a lot of work and done very well. Do you have any pictures of how the ends of the chains connect on the back side and front side of the tire? I am curious what you are using for tightening the ends together.

Thanks....

·
Premium Member
5,233 Posts
That's a lot of work and done very well. Do you have any pictures of how the ends of the chains connect on the back side and front side of the tire? I am curious what you are using for tightening the ends together.

Thanks....
Me too..

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Great job. It takes a bunch of concentration to do them.

rob

·
Registered
461 Posts
Very nice I like them 👍. Impressive work.

Reactions: Danny D and Jschade

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Very impressive work. I bought the ladder chains from JD when I got my 2032R. The way they fit on my R4 tires had me bumping all over the place. I took them off and so far am not missing them. I should get some proper chains though. Just in case.

Looks like you have a backhoe as well. I had to get the wheel spacers for the rear to have the chains clear the backhoe mount. I can't quite tell if you have them in the picture.
Yes I do have the back hoe but no I did not need and wheel spaces.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Thanks....
I made them to slide on from the out side of the tire. So the out side is one coitus piece of chain. The in side I am using what I call a split link. Might not be the right name. But once they are connected the chains are snug. I will give you guys a picture but won't be till the weekend as I am away for work

·
Registered
224 Posts
I made them to slide on from the out side of the tire. So the out side is one coitus piece of chain. The in side I am using what I call a split link. Might not be the right name. But once they are connected the chains are snug. I will give you guys a picture but won't be till the weekend as I am away for work
Ok. That's a funny (I assume) voice-to-text or autocorrect typo.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Really nice work, kudos to you on a fine DIY project and results! :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts