Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This starts about 10 months ago and about 200 hours on the 2014 2032R. It all started with the console going out, and at 240 hours the PTO stopped functioning regularly. I was using the Tiller and it just wouldn't turn on, thinking something was wrong with the tiller I hooked up the PTO sprayer, it worked for about 5 minutes, then it stopped also. I checked all the switches and connectors and everything appeared to be working correctly. Even the Switch under the rear wheel, the ROI.. it appeared dirty, so I washed it off and put a little wd-40 on it to make sure it moved easily with my finger.. NOTHING. So I called the JD dealer and had them come get the tractor to check it out. This was early May 2021, by June 2021 the tech calls me and says, "We think we have it figured out and it is an electronic controller, part is on the way." June 15th they dropped off my tractor and it was fixed according to them. I wasn't home, and they just dropped it off and the next day I went out to look at it and wasn't impressed with their work, the boot around the steering column wasn't put on, and the park break didn't work, not connected. After looking it over the first thing I did was start it up and kick on the rear pto. It spun, but REALLY slowly. I instantly hooked up the PTO sprayer, kicked on the PTO and nothing! I took the sprayer off and then turned the PTO back on and it spun, but I put my foot on the PTO and I stopped it from spinning! I called the service center back and got this, "Ok we will come get it, but can you wait until after harvest season?" I agreed, since I could still use the bucket. From June 20th until August 25th, I called them 6 times, trying to get it picked up for repair, each time, "OK, we will get it picked up." Nothing. Now finally, in Dec, I look at trading it on at a different dealer, and in Jan I get the attached bill.

The part they replaced, was the ROI switch I looked at and it was functioning correctly before I sent it to them.

Ideas, thoughts? suggestions on what to do?

I should add on another thread I said, that the wiring/electrical in the tractor was to blame. This is what the salesman told me when I was trying to trade in the tractor. I gave them full disclosure and told them everything about what happened. He is the one who told me, this is a known issue with the 2014 2032R because they were assembled not in the US and the electrical wiring was causing all kinds of issues and probably needs replaced. This is just what he said..

Font Material property Parallel Motor vehicle Paper
Motor vehicle Font Parallel Paper Vehicle

UPDATE: 2/4
I did as many suggested and was calm and asked questions. Talked to the Tech who worked on my tractor he commented that this bill should NOT have gone out. He stated they had some new office staff and to end the year they closed out a lot of tickets and this one should not have been closed out, so they apologized, and they were working on getting the tractor picked up for service, and thanked me for my patience.

This helped with all of my concerns until he said they had 50 some hours in identifying what was wrong, and this bill obviously didn't have any of that discovery on the ticket for me to pay. Well that caught my attention so I asked if he anticipated this would be the case when they pick it up again? He said YES.. So I calmly asked for a quote on what they thought this would cost. He said I would need to talk to the manager, but this would be difficult considering they haven't determined the issue yet..

Which led me to ask, what I would owe them if we just stopped the work right now and I traded in the tractor. Again, I would have to talk to the manager.

Back to a waiting game..

·
Registered
485 Posts
I'd have the dealer pick it up again. list the things that were not completed and the things that were supposed to be fixed but were not. Make them stand behind their work. They're one of those new big deere conglomerates aren't they??

Reactions: tiahuana

·
Registered
219 Posts
Was reading this and was surprised to see your in my neck of the woods, I am north of Sabetha. I have purchased parts from Hiawatha in the past (they only have the two stores by the way), but I do most of my business with Heritage. Most of the farmers around me have nothing but good things to say about the shop in Hiawatha, they seem to like it better then Heritage in Seneca. I would definitely talk to the Service Manager and work it up from there as needed. The issues I have run into with the dealers local here is that they are more Ag focused, they don't seem to know alot about the smaller tractors.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd have the dealer pick it up again. list the things that were not completed and the things that were supposed to be fixed but were not. Make them stand behind their work. They're one of those new big deere conglomerates aren't they??
I really have no clue on that part.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Was reading this and was surprised to see your in my neck of the woods, I am north of Sabetha. I have purchased parts from Hiawatha in the past (they only have the two stores by the way), but I do most of my business with Heritage. Most of the farmers around me have nothing but good things to say about the shop in Hiawatha, they seem to like it better then Heritage in Seneca. I would definitely talk to the Service Manager and work it up from there as needed. The issues I have run into with the dealers local here is that they are more Ag focused, they don't seem to know alot about the smaller tractors.
yes, I'm in Sabetha all the time, and I also have had nothing bad to say, both dealerships have treated me well. I also don't consider this a mistreatment, just an issue where I don't know what to do. This 2032R was a LOT of money for me and I only got 300 hours out of it before major issues. Then one dealer telling me they can fix it, but they don't really have time, then another dealer telling me it's a complex issue that could result in thousands of dollars. (if electrical replacement doesn't fix it, then they have to take the entire thing apart and fix what is wrong with the PTO) Since I stopped the PTO with my foot, I really believe the issue with the PTO, and that is HOURS and HOURS of a tech taking it apart to find out what's wrong, then fixing it and putting it all back together. Everything I see says $2000 minimum and probably closer to $5000.. and if replacing the ROI sensor is $1100 then $10,000 looks a LOT closer! So, I want to get rid of it, but trading it in, and paying them $1100 is really pissing me off! :)

·
Registered
2005 3320 with FEL, 1978 AC 5020 FEL, 2000 Bobcat 763
152 Posts
I would put myself in their shoes and treat them how I would want to be treated. That being said I would make a visit to the dealer and talk with the service manager about the whole experience and move up the chain of command until I felt I was being understood. It may be that they had a new tech, a new part was defective, etc.. In my experience I have had much more success talking out my issues and asking them to see it from my point of view. Hopefully they will do the right thing and satisfy you with your problems and give you something of value such as a free service or whatever for your frustration. I find in my area almost all the businesses want to make customers happy, but I am from a rural/suburban area.

·
Super Moderator
6,933 Posts
I have the same 2014 2032R and have never heard anything about any known wiring problems. If that were true, someone here would have run into it at some point. There's nothing.... And the early (1st generation) 2032R is the same machine as the previous 2720. The only thing added to the wiring was the RIO. No known problems with the wiring on the 2720 either.

I think your sales rep is blowing smoke.

·
Super Moderator
10,289 Posts
2016 2032R here and no problems whatsoever with RIO or the mid or rear pto. Just turned 300 hours as well.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Not a a lick of problems with my 2014 2032R, you might be better served to find a dealer that will listen to your problems and promise resolve, I believe you might be giving in prematurely on your 2032 , when in fact it might be a inexperienced technician?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just think something is really wrong with your dealer, or mechanic who does not want it, bored with it, low on time.

I would not pay anywhere near this amount for anything. PTOs can have issues when used with an improper length of PTO shaft on an implement. The fact you could easily stop PTO from rotating makes me think it could be stripped or pushed gears.

May be there is a mechanic somewhere near you who can fix it. Other suggestion you could by the technical manual for "$30" for your tractor... Random changing parts until it works - is not the best way to address a problem.

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
14,690 Posts
It's time to take the invoice you received and your notes, organized and easy to follow, of all of the dates and times of the contacts and efforts made to repair this machine, and to go to the dealer who sent you the invoice. Number one rule in matters like this is to treat those you are dealing with how you expect them to treat you. If you go in all wound up and "ready to really let them have it", expect a battle on your hands.

On the other hand, approach this calmly and trying to resolve the matter and working with the servicing dealer, this matter can be resolved. Be prepared to answer questions (calmly) such as "If the tractor wasn't fixed, why didn't you say anything until you received the invoice in the mail?" After all, it sounds like the last contact from you to the dealer on this matter was in August of 2021 and we are now in February of 2022. This is where your notes and call log, history will be very helpful showing the attempts you made to get the machine back in to actually fix the problem.

Regarding the "known issue" which the one salesman brought up with your machine, that was nothing more than him creating a situation where he was going to offer you a very low trade in value. You could say, this was the application of the KY Gel for the major reaming he was about to attempt with his trade number. It doesn't appear there is any validity to his "these have known issues" as there would be evidence of such an issue here on GTT. Some machines do have known issues and they ALWAYS surface here on GTT over time.

Frankly, I wouldn't mention the entire matter of the salesman's comments and simply focus on getting the machine repaired. Remaining calm, yet firm, this matter can be resolved to everyone's satisfaction. It just takes time and it might take going past the Service manager, but I would start with the person in that position. If you can't get the matter handled, then move up to the General Manager or owner or whomever you need to, in order to bring this matter to a close.

You need to be given an actual repair estimate for what its going to take to fix the PTO on your tractor. If the PTO does spin, although very slowly and you can stop the rotation with your foot, clearly there is something wrong and its probably in the case. One of the issues I would want to know before hand is "Does the front PTO operate correctly and turn at the proper speed or does it also not function correctly, like the rear PTO?" This, of course, assumes the 2032R has a front PTO which I assume it does since so many have MMM's which they use on these machines.

It appears there are Generation 1 and Generation 2 versions of the 2032r, based upon the Gen 1 having been made in 2013 to 2016 and the Generation 2 having been built from 2017 to 2022. A search on GTT shows no known "issues" which might explain such an issue as you are having with your tractor. It's going to take a knowledgeable Service Technician to diagnose the problem. Only then can you make an informed decision on how to proceed with either the repairs or whether you are going to trade the tractor.

Keep in mind, its going to take a Service Tecnicians time and the shop's resources to properly diagnose and propose the repair and its costs for you to consider. In other words, you are going to have to pay to find out what its going to take and how much its likely to cost, to repair your tractor. As far as the outstanding invoice, the tractor is not repaired and therefore you can't be expected to pay the entire invoice. You will have to work with them and find a middle ground which is acceptable to both parties. Since the tractor isn't fixed, the dealer shouldn't expect to be paid in full for the work they performed. On the other hand, if you hadn't gotten an invoice in the mail, how were you planning on proceeding with this issue?

Take your notes and contact information and the invoice and go meet with the dealer's Service Manager. That's the only way to proceed with this matter in my opinion. If you ignore the invoice out of frustration, its likely to escalate into a larger problem. Its time to get solid answers and determine how you are going to move forward.

One last point, time your visit carefully. For example, you don't want to be at the Service Department to attempt to discuss this first thing in the morning, as that is when everyone is getting the new work assigned to them and there is a lot of customer activity with calls and machine drop offs, etc. Also, don't go in right before noon either, as people are likely headed to lunch break. I would also not wait until the end of the day, either, as that is just like first thing in the AM, customers are coming by after work etc.

The best time for the meeting to take place is either mid morning, or mid afternoon. Or, if it would be helpful, call and schedule an appointment where you can have the attention of the Service Manager.
Once again, treat them the same way you want them to treat you. Respectfully is always a good approach.

Make sure to report back and let us know what happened with this matter. We are also looking forward to hearing what it actually will take to repair your machine in specific parts and the cost, to get you and the tractor out working again.................

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hopefully I will get to talk to them today. Thank you for the help, everyone! I will post update once I talk to them.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so, I don't know if this is allowed, but I'm going to post a link to another chat site, but it seems exactly like what I am dealing with.. Please give me your opinions while I wait for a call back from the service manager.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
so, I don't know if this is allowed, but I'm going to post a link to another chat site, but it seems exactly like what I am dealing with.. Please give me your opinions while I wait for a call back from the service manager.
....Even the Switch under the rear wheel, the ROI.. it appeared dirty, so I washed it off and put a little wd-40 on it to make sure it moved easily with my finger..
The part they replaced, was the ROI switch I looked at and it was functioning correctly before I sent it to them....
Based on the other thread, it sounds like the same problem. Is the RIO switch the dealer replaced @ the rear wheel the same as the 'reverse switch' talked about in the link? Is it adjusted correctly? Can it be momentarily bypassed just to diagnose the issue? I'm kind of shocked that the tractor doesn't give any visual indication (blink the pto light, etc.) when it shuts off the pto due to a safety issue.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Based on the other thread, it sounds like the same problem. Is the RIO switch the dealer replaced @ the rear wheel the same as the 'reverse switch' talked about in the link? Is it adjusted correctly? Can it be momentarily bypassed just to diagnose the issue? I'm kind of shocked that the tractor doesn't give any visual indication (blink the pto light, etc.) when it shuts off the pto due to a safety issue.
I am unsure, but I know the PTO has a 'Hold out' feature, you pull it out and it allows the PTO to keep running.. that doesn't work for my issue, I tested it. Also, think its for the mid PTO.. but unsure. I'm going to show this to the manager when I can.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I am unsure, but I know the PTO has a 'Hold out' feature, you pull it out and it allows the PTO to keep running.. that doesn't work for my issue, I tested it. Also, think its for the mid PTO.. but unsure. I'm going to show this to the manager when I can.
Did you ever get your issues resolved?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Did you ever get your issues resolved?
after this update:
I did as many suggested and was calm and asked questions. Talked to the Tech who worked on my tractor he commented that this bill should NOT have gone out. He stated they had some new office staff and to end the year they closed out a lot of tickets and this one should not have been closed out, so they apologized, and they were working on getting the tractor picked up for service, and thanked me for my patience.

This helped with all of my concerns until he said they had 50 some hours in identifying what was wrong, and this bill obviously didn't have any of that discovery on the ticket for me to pay. Well that caught my attention so I asked if he anticipated this would be the case when they pick it up again? He said YES.. So I calmly asked for a quote on what they thought this would cost. He said I would need to talk to the manager, but this would be difficult considering they haven't determined the issue yet..

Which led me to ask, what I would owe them if we just stopped the work right now and I traded in the tractor. Again, I would have to talk to the manager.

Back to a waiting game..

I have gotten Nothing since the conversation above, but they haven't called on the bill at least. Started sending emails to John Deere Headquarters detailing the issues that have come up. Nothing from them either.

Reactions: wildbranch2007

·
Registered
2019 2025R with Loader, Backhoe, 54D Mower, Forks, Rear Snowblower, Box Blade, Landscape Rake, QH
124 Posts
after this update:

Back to a waiting game..

I have gotten Nothing since the conversation above, but they haven't called on the bill at least. Started sending emails to John Deere Headquarters detailing the issues that have come up. Nothing from them either.
50 hours in discovery time? I find that incredible based on decades of experience with cars and other machines but not tractors, which are still relatively new to me. It just seems very unlikely to me. Wishing you all the best on a resolution path.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
50 hours in discovery time? I find that incredible based on decades of experience with cars and other machines but not tractors, which are still relatively new to me. It just seems very unlikely to me. Wishing you all the best on a resolution path.
50 hours in discovery and working through their list from the beginning. He stated 4 or 5 things they tried and replaced working toward the last thing they did before bringing back to me. (the ROI switch)

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
50 hours of discovery? I'm sorry, but they are not diagnostic technicians, They are clueless; don't understand how the system works, and are learning at your expense. No way they can justify those hours.

JD corporate probably could have narrowed the problem to 1 or 2 quick tests, and I'm betting it is nothing more than a bad switch or unconnected wire to that switch.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts