Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This topic come up a lot and I did search and read and read...

I have Land Pride RCR1860 (weight is 600#) (5 footer) I am looking to move to a 6 or 7 footer with maybe a lighter duty brand that I could use, trying to cut some time off my cutting.

The land I am cutting is field grass 1.5 to 2.5 high, I keep it low as I can..

So my thoughts are a 6 foot or 7 foot light duty that would not break the bank on weight and still be powered by the 2032R

Any feedback is appreciated

1.5 years later I realize I should have went with a bigger tractor :(

·
Registered
12,507 Posts
This topic come up a lot and I did search and read and read...

I have Land Pride RCR1860 (weight is 600#) (5 footer) I am looking to move to a 6 or 7 footer with maybe a lighter duty brand that I could use, trying to cut some time off my cutting.

The land I am cutting is field grass 1.5 to 2.5 high, I keep it low as I can..

So my thoughts are a 6 foot or 7 foot light duty that would not break the bank on weight and still be powered by the 2032R

Any feedback is appreciated

1.5 years later I realize I should have went with a bigger tractor :(
IMO you'd need just that for a 7', should be no problem with a 6'.

·
Registered
21,444 Posts
A lot of a decision like this depends on the land - flat or hills?

Another option is the land isn’t too rough is a finish mower.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have some rolling hills and flat, a good balance.

Spoke to my neighbour he's got an 90's model JD (forget which one) 95HP with a 12 foot cutter.

He also has a 6 foot cutter and told me to hook it up to mine and see how it does. So this weekend gonna see how a 6 footer does, a 6 footer will save me a little time, not a lot but a couple hours

I used a "mowing calculator"

Guessing my speed at 3 mph with a 60 inch cutter it took me 7:56 to cut 14 acres

with a 6 foot and the grass being cut down now (some was 6 feet tall) :) and moving at 4mph it cuts 3 hours off, yes I know it's not scientific but I will give it shot

A lot of a decision like this depends on the land - flat or hills?

Another option is the land isn’t too rough is a finish mower.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Any chance of having someone put that 14 acres in hay or farm it for corn or beans instead of just mowing it? :dunno :

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, up until this year it was but the group that did it bought property that is closer and told me they won't be doing it anymore 😣

Any chance of having someone put that 14 acres in hay or farm it for corn or beans instead of just mowing it? :dunno :

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
as far as farming it, I'm ok with someone cutting it for hay 2 times a year but not a fan of someone farming my property, I like my privacy... and yes I am willing to pay for my privacy ;)

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Went and borrowed my neighbors
6 foot cutter, it worked great.

He also let me try is 4wd 2950 with a bat wing... yeah I felt weak getting back on my 2032r... even the ride on that 80s beast was smooth..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts