Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! First post here; I've been lurking for quite some time and have enjoyed and benefited from all of the great advice and threads that have started here.

Unfortunately I have had to reach out to you all with a recent issue. I owned a 1023e for three years and decided to upgrade this spring to a 2032r. I love the machine and have had no issues with it. My father was using it a few weeks ago and flipped the seat up. When he flipped it up he noticed there was a pretty severe wear point on both sides of the seat where it settles against the seat belt (both male and female). One side has actually worn a hole through and this winter in Vermont I'm sure it will degrade further.

I contacted my dealer and they said it was no problem to warranty it and they asked for some pictures. I am about an hour and a half from the dealer so this was the easiest way to start a solution. My common sense brain said that they would order a seat and probably bend the brackets and I could drive down one morning and drive away shortly thereafter with a fixed tractor and seat. They told me that they reached out to Deere and they said without them seeing it they wouldn't authorize a fix. No problem; makes sense.

Here is the kicker. They want it for two weeks and I can't figure out why. A new seat is retail around 150 dollars. Ish. I would incur six hours of driving, fuel expenses, and obviously be without my tractor for two weeks. I can't see as it is an effective solution. Yes it is my fault I purchased a tractor so far out of town when my local dealer is ten miles away. But for a difference of a few thousand dollars it was a no brainer. I'm not smart enough to post pictures here or I would let you all see what I"m talking about as far as damage.

Sorry for the long post; hopefully someone can offer me some insight on a bright idea. I haven't seen anyone else having issues so far. The dealer said all of their 2 series tractors rub at the exact same point. Which further bugs me as to why it would take two weeks to resolve. That also was only an 'estimate' and may take longer. Thanks all and my apologies for the length.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
You could always take it to the local dealer for warranty work.
That's my thought. I would think their service department would appreciate some billable work as much as selling dealer would.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
You could always take it to the local dealer for warranty work.
Either this or ask (both dealers) if they'll send a field tech to perform the work at your place. They do more involved work, swapping a seat should only take the guy a few minutes.

·
Premium Member
15,185 Posts
Either this or ask (both dealers) if they'll send a field tech to perform the work at your place. They do more involved work, swapping a seat should only take the guy a few minutes.
Seems reasonable. I had a small tear in my X500 riding mower seat and the dealer sent someone out to replace it. Beforehand I emailed them some photos showing the tear and verifying that it would be covered under warranty.

Reactions: pcabe5 and BigJim55

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses guys. I will probably give the local dealer a shout tomorrow and see if they're willing to help out. Even if I have to trailer it there it's only a fifteen minute drive so it would be much more convenient.

Side note: I saw a post quite some time ago regarding a suspension seat. The current seat doesn't really bother me so I don't see a need for a spendy upgrade but are they really that much more comfortable? This seat, aside from the hole, has been excellent for me. I think I'm going to remove the seat belt apparatus and prevent the next one from getting torn up.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Thanks for the responses guys. I will probably give the local dealer a shout tomorrow and see if they're willing to help out. Even if I have to trailer it there it's only a fifteen minute drive so it would be much more convenient.

Side note: I saw a post quite some time ago regarding a suspension seat. The current seat doesn't really bother me so I don't see a need for a spendy upgrade but are they really that much more comfortable? This seat, aside from the hole, has been excellent for me. I think I'm going to remove the seat belt apparatus and prevent the next one from getting torn up.
Yeah cuz that tiny cosmetic unseen vanity tear is waaaaaaaay more important than your safety..

·
Premium Member
10,129 Posts
They might, but expect to pay a travel fee. JD warranty only covers the repair to the machine, not the cost of getting the machine to the shop or the technician to the machine.

I'd advise against removing the seatbelt. On ROPS equipped machines you really have no chance of jumping clear in the event of a rollover, so you're much better off to use the belt and stay with the machine. You don't have much of a chance to jump clear on a non-ROPS tractor, but it's very marginally improved. We have a couple of members here who have experienced rollover incidents and owe if not their lives then at least the prevention of serious injury to proper seatbelt and ROPS use.

Instead of removing it, could you modify the brackets somehow so they don't contact the seat?

·
Official "Groovie" Dude
5,683 Posts
I like 56Fordguy's suggestion. Could you modify the brackets? Maybe spread them apart so they don't touch or some self adhesive foam on the belt where it rubs.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah cuz that tiny cosmetic unseen vanity tear is waaaaaaaay more important than your safety..
It is a tiny tear at the moment but when moisture freezes the winter the whole seat will split apart. Nobody wants that. See below post for my edit; my intention isn't to remove the belt permanently. Poor wording and explanation on my part.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The removal of the seat belt apparatus is intended to be temporary so that I can modify the brackets. I didn't complete that thought while typing. I did in my head but it clearly didn't translate.

It will take approximately two minutes on each side to tweak the metal brackets; the seat belt needs to be removed because it is plastic (naturally) and attached to the end of the metal bracket. Using those pieces to bend the metal bracket would result in their rapid destruction so they need to come off in order for me to successfully adjust them. I think if they're tweaked out wider there will be no more contact, and therefore, in theory, no more issues.

The 1 series that I used to own had inches of clearance between the seat and the seat belt assembly so this is a baffling design.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I had a 2720 that had the same issue. I just bent bent the brackets a little to get the seat belts away from the seat. It worked, but I do not remember how I did it.

As for the hole in the seat, put some epoxy on it. The JD seat covers are very nice & keep the seat in new condition.

·
Premium Member
15,185 Posts
The JD seat covers are very nice & keep the seat in new condition.
Yes but... they all suffer from the problem of fitting loosely such that you slide all over the place. I had one on my 2720 and eventually took it off. I currently have one on my X500 to try to preserve the seat as the material is so thin that at 100 hrs I've already had to get it replaced under warranty. But the darn thing allows you to slide around so much that I have trouble staying in the seat when mowing along the side of a hill. :)

I agree that they look nice but they need to change the material they use to something less slippery.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Yes but... they all suffer from the problem of fitting loosely such that you slide all over the place. I had one on my 2720 and eventually took it off. I currently have one on my X500 to try to preserve the seat as the material is so thin that at 100 hrs I've already had to get it replaced under warranty. But the darn thing allows you to slide around so much that I have trouble staying in the seat when mowing along the side of a hill. :)

I agree that they look nice but they need to change the material they use to something less slippery.

The sliding is between the seat & the seat cover, not the driver & the seat cover.
The seat cove needs to be installed tight on the seat. Get the seat cover tight on the seat & it will not slide around.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts