Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So looking to get a tiller, is 5 foot to big or just right?

Also looking at used market what should I watch for in a used one?

·
Premium Member
6,038 Posts
I am running a 65" on a 2038R. I realize the 2016 2032R is a different frame size but my 400 Garden Tractor runs a 48".

Both will work running them but if the 400 with a 20hp Kohler can do 4' I am quite sure your would do a 60". Being a hydro you can go slow and that will do a good job. I don't know the speed I go on either but it is probably only 1 or 2 mph anyway. IMO you need one that will complete cover the width of the rear tires otherwise you are always rototilling at an angle because one side settles down in the fresh dirt. I am guessing a 55 would cover the tracks.

·
Super Moderator
8,198 Posts
So looking to get a tiller, is 5 foot to big or just right?

Also looking at used market what should I watch for in a used one?
I've got a 5' that I've used behind the 2320 and the 3320. The 2320 handles it OK so I think you'll be just fine.

Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
203 Posts
Decide if you want one with forward rotating tines or rear rotating tines. Rear rotating tine tillers do a better job in most cases. I bought a land pride err 1058 used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So when you say rear or forward you are talking about direction of rotation I assume?

Decide if you want one with forward rotating tines or rear rotating tines. Rear rotating tine tillers do a better job in most cases. I bought a land pride err 1058 used.

Reactions: PJR832 and Yank

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
Yes, direction that the tines rotate. Reverse rotating tillers seem to need more tractor to handle them well. Just what I’ve heard, never used one. I have the RT1165 for my 2038R. I haven’t used it yet, so I can’t comment on how it handles it.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The frontiers are so much more expensive, what makes them that way besides being green?

·
Premium Member
6,038 Posts
The frontiers are so much more expensive, what makes them that way besides being green?
Probably nothing. I have the 665 Deere and yes it is pricey but the 400’s is a 1982 and I have never had to work on it. I plan on this one being the same. However it is heavy, smooth and a pleasure to use.

I have seen the king cutter and some of the others on here and they all look like fine tillers as well. Really there is not much to them. I think perhaps the only point of value would be in 20 years if you need a part or you need a dealer to service it. Maybe resale value but I think mine was 3,000 in round numbers. Let’s say in twenty years someone would pay 1,500. That means a King Kutter at 1,500 (guess) will always beat it in resale even if the number is $1.00.

No matter the brand make sure it is quick tach ready if you have one so you don’t need to modify out of the box. If you dont have a quick tach and an odd brand make sure the cat 1 dimensions on it match what your tractor is. I seem to see a lot of posts that cat 1 sometimes can be different even though the specs are very clear.

Reactions: PJR832 and BigJim55

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yep, directional rotation is what I meant. Also my tiller model is a rtr 1058, not err 1058. STUPID AUTO CORRECT got me! As Yank said reverse tine tillers do require more tractor when in hard packed soil but they do a better job.

·
Registered
200 Posts
60" KK on my 2038R no issues covers tire tracks, I am sure the 2032R would be just fine with it as well. If you have a Rural King around keep an eye open you can get them on sale for 10-15% off a few times a year.

Reactions: BigJim55 and PJR832

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No Rural King around here but Tractor Supply, I was looking at their 5' Tiller and it is clearly marked Tartar just like the Rural King

$1499.00 Plus tax

·
Premium Member
13,837 Posts
No Rural King around here but Tractor Supply, I was looking at their 5' Tiller and it is clearly marked Tartar just like the Rural King

$1499.00 Plus tax
I run a 48" County Line tiller with my 1023, and Levi runs a 5' tiller with his 1026, can't imagine a 2032 would have any trouble with a 5' tiller. The key with a tiller is you want it to cover your tracks, as long as you can do that you'll be fine.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, I just hate spending $1400.00 for something I am going to use 2 times a year for food plots, hence why I am looking for a used item

I run a 48" County Line tiller with my 1023, and Levi runs a 5' tiller with his 1026, can't imagine a 2032 would have any trouble with a 5' tiller. The key with a tiller is you want it to cover your tracks, as long as you can do that you'll be fine.

·
Premium Member
13,837 Posts
Thanks, I just hate spending $1400.00 for something I am going to use 2 times a year for food plots, hence why I am looking for a used item
I understand completely, I do quite a bit of tilling but still it sits most of the year, but that's tractor implements. Hope you find a decent used one :good2:

·
Registered
1,379 Posts

$1499.00 Plus tax
That's the same tiller I have for my 2320, runs it no problem.
I picked it up on sale last spring for ~$1100 IIRC.

Works great, just make sure if you get one to check the tines. Mine were installed backwards. Flip them around and it works great!

I get the minimal use thing, maybe see if you can make a couple bucks back on tilling neighbors' gardens, or tree rows? That's what I did.

·
Registered
619 Posts
$1400 does sound like a lot but so does $900 for a decent used one. So, how can you justify a new one? If something goes wrong, you have a warranty.
The resell value will be higher. That $900 used unit may sell for $600 in, say, five years, but you'll get at least $900-1000 for your new one so your cost of ownership between the two is only about $200-300 difference.
How much is your portfolio up just this week?
You get to go to the store and buy something brand new. Nobody has used this thing but you.
Newer ones will work better and most likely come with a newly designed slip clutch.
And if you can find a green one, all the better.

A four footer is too narrow for the tires and a six footer will get you out of the seat way too fast. 5 Ft is perfect. Don't forget to use it as ballast when you take your water out to your food plots.

Attachments

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
water out to food plots?

For what?

·
Registered
619 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
My 60" King Kutter Professional works splendidly behind my 2520. Your tractor shouldn't have a problem with a 60" tiller. That width is a good size behind a 2-series. Wide enough to cover tire tracks and still within the capabilities of the PTO.

There are quite a few brands & models out there and I really don't think you can go wrong with any. I also don't think you need to spend well in the 2-grand range for a Deere/Frontier. Given the quality and capability of my KK for $1499 what could they possibly offer to justify another grand?

Rob

1 - 20 of 58 Posts