Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went tractor shopping with my son-in-law yesterday. He and my daughter purchased 5 acres, 4 of which is wooded. They will be building their dream home there within the next 5 years. The land has a lot of downed trees to clear, along with many, many that need to be cut down. He estimated about 50 just in the area the house will be built. Thank goodness he is very experienced at cutting down trees and in large equipment operation.

Anyways, back to the tractor shopping. I currently own a 1025R and we have determined that a 1 series is not enough tractor for his current needs, but a 3 series would be way more than what he will need down the road. Also a 3 series would be too big for the wooded area. Looks like the 2032R or maybe the 2038R will hit the sweet spot for now and later. Now I'm not looking for opinions on anything other than the 2 series. That said, other than the extra PTO power on the 2038R, is there any other differences to consider besides weight? Both tractors employ the same 270B backhoe and 220R loader, so unless JD equips them with different hydraulic pumps or higher pressure settings, won't they be equals. Am I overlooking any important differences between the 2032R and 2038R? :dunno:

His useage will primarily be for general land and homeowner maintanence, but not for mowing lawn. There will be some occasional brush hogging of paths and trails in the woods, snow removal on a 250' to 350' gravel driveway, some box blading of land and driveway, to name a few. There will be loader work on virgin land for years to come. There's no question that a pallet fork will be useful. I can possibly see a grapple in the future.

I personnaly think the 2032R is the right tractor, but given an idea of the forthcoming chores and attachment needed, what do you think? I know that there is only $2K difference between the two, but if not needed, that buys a lot of attachments.

Research and ask questions, and buy once! :gizmo:

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
I chose the 2038R and never looked back. Very happy with it. I am sure the 2032 will probably serve him well but "You can't have too much horsepower!!" per my old man

·
Premium Member
13,011 Posts
Anyways, back to the tractor shopping. I currently own a 1025R and we have determined that a 1 series is not enough tractor for his current needs, but a 3 series would be way more than what he will need down the road. Also a 3 series would be too big for the wooded area. Looks like the 2032R or maybe the 2038R will hit the sweet spot for now and later. Now I'm not looking for opinions on anything other than the 2 series. That said, other than the extra PTO power on the 2038R, is there any other differences to consider besides weight? Both tractors employ the same 270B backhoe and 220R loader, so unless JD equips them with different hydraulic pumps or higher pressure settings, won't they be equals. Am I overlooking any important differences between the 2032R and 2038R? :dunno:
Weight difference? The 2-series brochure shows that both tractors weigh the same at 2436 lb. Other than the engine both tractors are identical. The 2032R has a 100.2 cu in normally aspirated engine and the 2038R has a smaller 95.8 cu in turbo charged engine.

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
Went tractor shopping with my son-in-law yesterday. He and my daughter purchased 5 acres, 4 of which is wooded. They will be building their dream home there within the next 5 years. The land has a lot of downed trees to clear, along with many, many that need to be cut down. He estimated about 50 just in the area the house will be built. Thank goodness he is very experienced at cutting down trees and in large equipment operation.

His useage will primarily be for general land and homeowner maintanence, but not for mowing lawn. There will be some occasional brush hogging of paths and trails in the woods, snow removal on a 250' to 350' gravel driveway, some box blading of land and driveway, to name a few. There will be loader work on virgin land for years to come. There's no question that a pallet fork will be useful. I can possibly see a grapple in the future.

I personnaly think the 2032R is the right tractor, but given an idea of the forthcoming chores and attachment needed, what do you think? I know that there is only $2K difference bewtween the two, but if not needed, that buys a lot of attachments.

Research and ask questions, and buy once! :gizmo:
Just something to Keep In Mind the 2032R & the 2038R is 1 inch shorter In Length and 1 Inch shorter In height that a 3R series Open station. The 3R is about a Little over a foot wider that the 2032R/2038R and that is Based On R3 for the 2R and R1 for the 3R tires so that width could get smaller. So I wouldn't Take the 3R off the Table Because it really not that Much bigger

The 270B and the 260B same specs Not getting Much of a Difference Other than they way It Mounts to the tractor.

The Loader Capacity & 3 Point Capacity are Less on the 2032R/2038R

But the 220R You get about 200Lbs More lift Capacity than the 120R on a 2025R and about 600 more Pound of Lift capacity On the 3point Hitch then the 2025R But that really Increases in both if Going with a 3R series :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
1,500 Posts
The 2038R has more HP, not just more PTO HP. You may feel it when you drive them around, particularly uphill.

I recently tested identically configured models (32 and 38) with a stopwatch on the dealer lot. From standstill, will full throttle, the 2038 will accelerate to its top speed in about 5.75 seconds. The 2032 will do it in about 6.6 seconds (top speed is the same). The 2038 recovers much faster if you just floor the forward pedal at standstill (you shouldn't do that, they don't like it), whereas the 2032 takes a long time to get up to speed if you do that (about 6.25ish seconds for 2038 vs almost 9 seconds for 2032). And you definitely feel it the extra power if you do that. No so much if you don't (and, again, you shouldn't do that).

Will that matter to you?

You said you weren't going to mow, so it probably won't. If I were buying one of these and I was going to mow with it, I'd get the 2038. It's about the only application I can think of where you are at max PRM in high trying to go as fast as you can with an implement running and you want to be done as fast as possible. The 2032 won't be able to move as fast with the deck on as the 2038 would.

Other than that? Honestly? Unless you like zipping around as fast as possible on your property and tearing stuff up, the extra HP isn't very useful. Unless there's another application like mowing that lets you bounce around at full speed on high with the PTO running. Brush hogging isn't it, not unless you want to break something. Or maybe you want some really big wood chipper or generator that the 32R wouldn't run very well. I don't know, I don't do those things.

If you're in low range, there's really nothing you can do to notice the extra HP.

Everything else...lift capacity, lift height, top speed, three point lift, weight, turn radius etc. is identical on both machines.

I wouldn't worry about the turbo reliability, as that is pretty much a non-issue, but you should leave it running for about two minutes after you work it hard before shutting off the engine, which is really annoying. If you don't do that, then I would worry about turbo reliability. And if your turbo goes, it's taking the DPF with it (and vice versa).

I think, for me, it boils down to one question. Will you mow with it and do you like mowing fast.

Yes? 2038R.

No? 2032R.

Or do you just have money to burn and want the most/best/everything you can get? 2038R. Actually wait, no, that's dumb. :) 3046R. :) It's practically the same size, has much higher lift capacity and much more HP.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just something to Keep In Mind the 2032R & the 2038R is 1 inch shorter In Length and 1 Inch shorter In height that a 3R series Open station. The 3R is about a Little over a foot wider that the 2032R/2038R and that is Based On R3 for the 2R and R1 for the 3R tires so that width could get smaller. So I wouldn't Take the 3R off the Table Because it really not that Much bigger

The 270B and the 260B same specs Not getting Much of a Difference Other than they way It Mounts to the tractor.

The Loader Capacity & 3 Point Capacity are Less on the 2032R/2038R

But the 220R You get about 200Lbs More lift Capacity than the 120R on a 2025R and about 600 more Pound of Lift capacity On the 3point Hitch then the 2025R But that really Increases in both if Going with a 3R series :bigthumb:
I appreciate your input, however, the 3 series financially is out of the picture for my son-in-law. At the dealership, there was a 2 and a 3 series sitting side by side. The 3 really is quite a bit larger. After looking at and sitting on both 2 and 3, we immediately knew the 3 was too big. He!! of a tractor though. :greentractorride: Thanks, Greg

·
Premium Member
13,814 Posts
So back when JD made the 55 series, the 2355 and the 2555 were literally the same tractor, except the 2555 had a turbo and about 10 more HP. When my FIL was in the market for utility tractor he went shopping JD. The salesman (who was also a personal friend of my FIL) suggested the 2555, my FIL asked why. His friend told him, "because it has a turbo, it must be better" :laugh: Mind you, that tractor almost never saw field work since he had a whole stable of capable field tractors so the HP was not a real game changer.

Morale of the story, if it has a turbo it must worth the extra. :lol:

Disclaimer;
This post was just a funny story that sort of relates.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So back when JD made the 55 series, the 2355 and the 2555 were literally the same tractor, except the 2555 had a turbo and about 10 more HP. When my FIL was in the market for utility tractor he went shopping JD. The salesman (who was also a personal friend of my FIL) suggested the 2555, my FIL asked why. His friend told him, "because it has a turbo, it must be better" :laugh: Mind you, that tractor almost never saw field work since he had a whole stable of capable field tractors so the HP was not a real game changer.

Disclaimer;
Pat,

I read that on the internet. It's got to be true! :laugh: :mocking:

·
Premium Member
13,011 Posts

Disclaimer;
What is interesting and different though is that unlike the 2032R/2038R, the 2355/2555 used the exact same engine and compression ratio. The 2555 simply added a turbo and got 10HP more on the drawbar and PTO.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Other then the occasional brush hogging nothing else listed uses the PTO. So I’d go with the 2032 as the only difference you will notice between the 32 and the 38 is PTO. A 3032E is also basically identical size physically to the 2032/2038 but you do gain in loader capability, and since midmount mowing isn’t a concern the 3E series may be more bang for your buck. I have a 2038r and do love it, I mow a lot and brush hog a lot (46 acres to maintain). I have bogged it in tall thick grass using my flail mower at a reasonable speed. But you can always just slow down your forward speed to deal with that. For loader or ground engagement work traction is the limiting factor over HP on these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2017 2038r 72” MMM Command Cut 220r loader

·
Premium Member
1,500 Posts
A 3032E is also basically identical size physically to the 2032/2038 but you do gain in loader capability, r
It's kind of a wash, actually. You lose like 60lbs of lift at full height but gain a couple of hundred lbf of breakout force with the 220R loader (on the 2R series). I doubt anyone would ever notice either.

The 2R also gives you one whole inch of lift height more! This is clearly superior and renders the 300E loader obsolete. :mocking:

All of this assumes the JD website can be trusted.

Reactions: jdforever

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,065 Posts
I'd go the 2032R. Almost did when they first came out but I'm over it now. :lol:
Our 2320 does a lot and I have never really lacked for power. If I were to buy a new tractor today it would be the 2032R.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Since the 2032 has a larger normally aspirated engine, when you aren't running WOT it will have more power then the 2038. I typically don't run WOT unless running the PTO, so in those cases the 2032 is just as good if not better. Granted in high range on a drag strip the 38 will be slightly faster, but in low it won't matter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,011 Posts
Since the 2032 has a larger normally aspirated engine, when you aren't running WOT it will have more power then the 2038. I typically don't run WOT unless running the PTO, so in those cases the 2032 is just as good if not better. Granted in high range on a drag strip the 38 will be slightly faster, but in low it won't matter.
You are correct. Especially when you see most folks with the new 2-series putting around doing loader work at near idle with Auto Throttle enabled. I would love to see a HP/Torque chart for the 3TNV88C-NJT2 vs. the turbo-charged 3TNV86CT-NJT2. I've searched the Yanmar site but haven't found anything. The only info I can find is the output at 2500 RPM (WOT) at which the turbo would have maximum effect.

·
Registered
23,261 Posts
I'd go the 2032R. Almost did when they first came out but I'm over it now. :lol:
Our 2320 does a lot and I have never really lacked for power. If I were to buy a new tractor today it would be the 2032R.
Agreed. The 2032R would be a direct replacement for my 2520 which has never left me wanting.

While I have a weakness for upgrading my pickups I will not be upgrading my 2520.

·
Premium Member
1,500 Posts

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'm don't think that's the case. As I mentioned in my first comment, I "drag raced" an identically configured 2032 and 2038. The 38 had more power across the entire RPM range. Not only did that help it accelerate faster to top speed (5.75 vs 6.6 seconds), it let it get up to RPM much faster if you just floored the forward pedal from standstill at WOT (6.25 vs 9 seconds), which you should not do, but still. The power difference showed.

There is no question that the 2038 has more HP period, not just at WOT. The question is, does that HP provide any sort of benefit that is worth 2,000 dollars.

I believe it may, IF you mow with it, and IF you want to mow in high range going as fast as you can. And I think that is the only application at which you will see the HP benefits in a tangible and undeniable way. You will be able to mow faster. I don't think there's a wood chipper (or anything else) than the 38 can run that the 32 can't. Maybe it would run it a little faster, but I doubt anyone would notice.

I don't mow with mine, so the 2038, for me, would be wasted money. I was tempted anyway, because I enjoy power even if I don't need it, but at the end of the day, it's tractor, not a race car. I am also one of those people who would look into a 3033R if I wanted to spend a dime more than the 2032 costs.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Every tractor that I have ever driven, whether our big Ag tractors on the farm or my 1025 or 3046r, I have always pushed them to their max and always wanted more HP. I currently have a 2038r and love it and am sure to hit its max as well. I was pulling a load of firewood up a hill and may have hit its max. Idk but the turbo was singing!! I don’t personally know of anyone who wishes that their tractor wasn’t as strong as it was, only people who wish they had a little more oomph.

One thing that I was always taught is that a smaller engine with a turbo will use less fuel when not under a load. So if you’re putting around the yard it might save you a dollar or two over a year. Lol seriously though, it should be more fuel efficient since it has a more complete combustion and smaller displacement. I would think the DPF wouldn’t clog as fast since less black smoke but that’s just my thought and I have nothing to back that up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: PJR832

·
Premium Member
1,500 Posts
Every tractor that I have ever driven, whether our big Ag tractors on the farm or my 1025 or 3046r, I have always pushed them to their max and always wanted more HP. I currently have a 2038r and love it and am sure to hit its max as well. I was pulling a load of firewood up a hill and may have hit its max.
More HP never hurts...but since these things aren't free, it's about priorities. More HP doesn't let you do things you can't do without the extra HP, it lets you do things faster. Also, just because your turbo is working, doesn't mean you needed that turbo in that situation. It's always working...that's how the engine is designed.

It is true that the turbo engine will use less fuel when you aren't working it hard, but it will use more fuel when you are. So it's probably a wash.

There are two main reasons people buy the large 2R tractors. The first is because they want a smaller tractor than the 3R (and they don't realize that they aren't really smaller, not enough to make any practical difference). And the second reason is $$$. So if you have an application where the extra HP is useful, then it might be worth it. But saying that you should just pay 2000 dollars because "more HP never hurt" is like saying you have money to burn. And if you have money to burn, why not buy a 3046?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts