Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day all, I have been having trouble with chains from JD for these rears. I had to return them to the dealer after I couldn’t get them on even with lots of mechanical assist , air removed, tractor on jack etc…

It’s not my first rodeo with chains as I’ve used them on semis and smaller tractors , this is the first time they are simply too small. JD swears they are the right chain but I think perhaps the R3 lug size/pattern is making it darn near impossible.

With no mechanical leverage I can get the backside about 8” away from connecting the link to the hook, and can’t connect the outside lever link up.

With a chain binder ( skipping over one link) i can just get the outside lever arm hooked up (no lever movement possible to lock it) and the inside is about 5” out from connecting. And yes, the chain binder is pulling the edges out a bit so it’s an 1” or bit more out of alignment but there still should be contact and able to connect.

Hard to see on the pics but the chain binder was caving in the tire in a few spots. Chains weren’t hung up and tight all around. How could these chains possibly fit? Am I missing something?

Anyways I wonder if anyone has solved this problem before, I understand chains in more of an ‘x’ pattern as opposed to straight links across the tires may be better. I’m in canada so options can be more limited but I’d love to hear what’s working for you.

here’s a few pics:

Thanks!

Wheel Tire Bicycle tire Crankset Drum

Tire Automotive tire Tread Wood Motor vehicle

Light Automotive tire Automotive lighting Carabiner Helmet

·
Registered
114 Posts
Sorry I don't know anything about the chains you've got there, but it wouldn't be the first time that Deere just plain has a part that doesn't fit. They certainly look too small.

I have the opposite problem. There's a set of Aquiline MPC for 300/70-20 tires on my garage floor that I intended to put on a few weeks ago. I should have just ordered the darn chain pliers when I ordered the tire chains. They are way too long to fit will without some modification. I don't have a solid plan of what I'll change yet, but probably at least taking a pair of links (per side) off the cross chains where the X or hex shaped part connects to the inner and outer loops. I may also make the cross chains connections a little closer together - right now it alternates with either 6 or 7 empty links between each. If I don't do that I may have to remove an entire cross chain section.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply, I may have to do something similar. JD Thinks I need to purchase different chains where the cross links are 4” wider and there are 3 more cross links so the chains would be at least 2 feet longer. They would hang 2” further down the sidewalls which isn’t great.

Unfortunately JD specs don’t publish overall length of the chains so it’s hard to figure this out but spending a pile more money to cut off and discard maybe 2 complete cross links and 18” or so of chain is ridiculous. I do love the beefy 3/8” chain links though it seems they would last forever.

seems like we both need custom made chains for this size…

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.