Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a hard time reaching and pulling up on the 4 wheel drive actuator handle and engaging the 4wd. It’s the one ergonomics I don’t like about my tractor plus it’s easy to hit with feet getting off the tractor seat.
I’m considering making some sort of a simple extension rod to retrofit onto the existing threads.
Has anyone thought about doing this modification?

·
Premium Member
6,320 Posts
It is down there. Thought about it but never really looked at doing it. I just notice because everything else is so convenient that one odd thing sticks out.

Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
87 Posts
You’re right, it’s the one control input that’s kind of a PIA to operate. Mine went through a brief period of getting stuck in 4WD. For me, it’s easier to pull the t handle up than it is to push it back down.

The handle definitely needs to be higher off the floor...

I’ve been hoping someone would design an improved mechanism!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
13,629 Posts
It is down there. Thought about it but never really looked at doing it. I just notice because everything else is so convenient that one odd thing sticks out.
If you look back at previous tractor models you will notice that JD has a habit of always making at least one control that is a PITA to operate. On the Gen-2 2-series it is clearly the MFWD engagement lever.

The good news is fixing the issue looks like it would be one of the easiest mods of all time. Since the motion is just straight up and down and the knob simply screws onto the shaft all you really need to do is extend the shaft. You could either get a piece of rod and tap it on both ends or take a rod and weld a nut on the bottom and a bolt on the top.

The KBOGH fab shop could probably whip up a mod like that in no time. :)

Attachments

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,440 Posts
How much longer does it need to be?

Reactions: Herminator

·
Premium Member
808 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,320 Posts
6-8 inches

Your right but it looks like if it is more than 5” the seat will interfere with it when it goes down against the bottom stop and it is all the way forward if it is in 4x4. 5” would be a good improvement though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts