Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I don't have any real-world experience yet with a 3pt tiller so take this in that light...

I just did a bunch of research on tillers for my 2520. Seems like a 5' model is the preferred size for that tractor. HP matches up and 5' width gets out past the wheel track. Your 2038R has enough additional HP to get into a 6' tiller, based on specs of a KK 6', and it can certainly lift the 720# or so of a 6' tiller. That said, having just taken delivery of my 5' KK Pro the thing is a monster and I'm thinking it is going to give the 2520 a workout. In my opinion a 6' tiller seems a little out of place on a 2-series. But again, this is not based on actual use of these tillers.

Rob

·
Registered
12,337 Posts
I don't have any real-world experience yet with a 3pt tiller so take this in that light...

I just did a bunch of research on tillers for my 2520. Seems like a 5' model is the preferred size for that tractor. HP matches up and 5' width gets out past the wheel track. Your 2038R has enough additional HP to get into a 6' tiller, based on specs of a KK 6', and it can certainly lift the 720# or so of a 6' tiller. That said, having just taken delivery of my 5' KK Pro the thing is a monster and I'm thinking it is going to give the 2520 a workout. In my opinion a 6' tiller seems a little out of place on a 2-series. But again, this is not based on actual use of these tillers.

Rob
BigBlue--ur 2520 is gonna handle that 60 inch KK tiller just find. i have the same one also.
here watch this -ok.:lol: u can watch the rest of my tilling videos then on my u-tube channel from that one.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
BigBlue--ur 2520 is gonna handle that 60 inch KK tiller just find. i have the same one also.
here watch this -ok.:lol: u can watch the rest of my tilling videos then on my u-tube channel from that one.
I do believe you that it will. I'll check out your video too, so thanks. But man, that 5' KK Pro is a dang big piece of equipment. It was all I could do to slide it off my trailer (down the ramps) and then flip it upright (it slid down the ramps more stably while tipped 90* from vertical). Had to use a metal pole for leverage to tip it back up. I really wish I had my 2520 home with new loader mounted and a set of pallet forks so I could have just forked it off the trailer! Soon! Going to TX next week to get it.

Rob

·
Registered
12,337 Posts
I do believe you that it will. I'll check out your video too, so thanks. But man, that 5' KK Pro is a dang big piece of equipment. It was all I could do to slide it off my trailer (down the ramps) and then flip it upright (it slid down the ramps more stably while tipped 90* from vertical). Had to use a metal pole for leverage to tip it back up. I really wish I had my 2520 home with new loader mounted and a set of pallet forks so I could have just forked it off the trailer! Soon! Going to TX next week to get it.

Rob
here's another pic of how i unloaded mine IMG_2558.JPG my king kutter rotiller all cleaned up for the winter.JPG

IMG_2565.JPG the one pic is when i was cleaning it up to put away for the winter. did u get the color JD green?

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,266 Posts
I have never used one of these tillers.....what size should I get for a 2038r?

Thanks
If it can't operate a 5' tiller there is something wrong. A 6' tiller would be just fine too in my opinion. I use a 5' tiller on my 1026 and it works just fine. The only thing I recommend is make sure it's iMatch compatible because they are heavy. Mine isn't and it a bear to man handle it to put on.
Here is mine...
100_0719.JPG

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
the one pic is when i was cleaning it up to put away for the winter. did u get the color JD green?
See, if I could have waited a few weeks I could have done the same thing as you for unloading. But Blain's had this sale and... :) But give me a few weeks and I'll never have to break my back again to unload stuff!

I got the "JD green" King Kutter Professional 60". After getting it unloaded and rolling it over next to the H130 loader that is also waiting to be mounted I noticed that the color is a shade or two off from actual John Deere Green. I'm wondering if Deere has a patent on that color or something, as it relates to ag equipment like tillers, so other companies can't use the exact color. Oh well, close to JD green is better than yellow or orange!

Rob

·
Premium Member
5,555 Posts
Tillers are on sale at Farm n Fleet...so are you sure the 72" will be ok on my 2038R?

Thanks
I am not sure where you live in northern Illinois but I have a 2038R with a 665 tiller. You're more than welcome to come try it if you like. I would not be worried about the six foot tiller after running this one.

My 400 came with a Deere 48" and the 112 had a 36". Those are only 20 horse and a 12 horse and power was never a problem. On both of these in clay you would have to take a cut couple inches deep at 1/2 throttle just to break the sod or it would push you. After that you could just drop it in and let it eat. The tilling I have done with my 2038R has been as different from the 400 as the 400 was from the 112. Don't get me wrong it makes them work but they don't struggle. �� There is a lot of dirt flying around in there.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
See, if I could have waited a few weeks I could have done the same thing as you for unloading. But Blain's had this sale and... :) But give me a few weeks and I'll never have to break my back again to unload stuff!

I got the "JD green" King Kutter Professional 60". After getting it unloaded and rolling it over next to the H130 loader that is also waiting to be mounted I noticed that the color is a shade or two off from actual John Deere Green. I'm wondering if Deere has a patent on that color or something, as it relates to ag equipment like tillers, so other companies can't use the exact color. Oh well, close to JD green is better than yellow or orange!

Rob
There isn't a patent I am aware of. There are actually two shades of JD Green that I know of that Deere has used over the years so maybe the tiller company used the one that doesn't match your tractor. I have found that krylon makes a pretty good rattle can version of the color along with yellow. Saves you some money from buying it a the dealer.

·
Premium Member
5,555 Posts
Tillers are on sale at Farm n Fleet...so are you sure the 72" will be ok on my 2038R?

Thanks
Just wondering if you got the 6 foot tiller and how it worked out? I have done quite a bit with mine lately and I notice it works better around 2200 RPM. Running it at 2500 it seems to work it a little more almost like there isnt enough reserve power to keep it there in a tough spot. At 22 It never lugs and it seems smoother. It has made rototilling relaxing, just drop it in drive along and raise it up.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have not used it yet....got it unloaded, tomorrow I have to figure out if I need to cut the PTO. I need it ready by next weekend...I should have plenty of time by then to get it lined up.

·
Registered
12,337 Posts

Rob
yeah-mines off color a little bit too. but it's close enough for me:mocking: i figured jd wouldn't let em paint it the exact same color, but close enough. i'm really happy with mine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts