Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all, 2038R on its way and just wondering if there are any tools yall have come across that are "must haves" or things you've found that make maintenance easy that maybe the manual doesn't point out bluntly?

TIA!

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
I found that my DeWalt 20V Max Cordless Grease gun dewalt 20v max grease gun - Google Shopping with an extra long LockNLube XL tip grease gun locknlube xl tip - Google Shopping is invaluable for every day maintenance. Also, change the grease fitting on the backhoe pivot to a 45 or 90 degree angle so you can get the grease gun tip on it. Makes a world of difference! Buy and keep all your lubricants and spare filters on-hand ahead of time so you have them when you need them. You might also want to make sure you have wrenches and sockets large enough to fit all bolts/nuts on the tractor and accessories. Keep plenty of spare hitch pins, clips and bushings on-hand because they break, wear out and get lost all the time. Make sure you check the loader frame and trunnion attachment hardware regularly for tightness. A copy of the maintenance manual and parts book is also very helpful as well as having a complete set of installation instructions and illustrated parts breakdowns for all the attachments and accessories your dealer added (or you purchased separately). You can also ask your dealer to provide you with all parts that were removed from your tractor during their build. You would be surprised how many parts get removed and replaced when you accessorize these things (hoses, brackets, fittings, hardware, etc). This stuff comes in handy sometimes after the fact. I hope this "Tractor 101" info is helpful.
Sincerely

·
Registered
202 Posts
Lube shuttle grease gun (go ahead and buy the 10 tubes of grease) with lock n lube conversion TTWT has on Amazon store. Lock n lube accessory kit. 27mm to drain hydraulic fluid under the tractor. Low profile Catch pan that holds 24plus qts when draining hydraulics. 1/4" socket hex to drain front hydraulics. 17mm socket to drain oil. I think the original wheel bolts are 22mm, but I have the jd spacers and they are bigger I think, I have wheel weights and cannot access them easily. Plenty of hitch and lynch pins. Filter remover tool makes life easier. Long stiff funnel to add fluids. Get a battery tender for when not in use. I have a small Stanley one that works great.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Go ahead and get guards to put around the rear lights before you rip them off. Replace all bulbs with led. Make sure you always have an extra key because I somehow always bend mine. I also did a switch to bypass the seat switch when I need too. Comes in handy when you need to stand up to see the end of the bucket or pallet forks. Go ahead and get on Mike Hodge list for telescoping 3pt stabilizers. He is months out for orders. Wouldn't hurt to go ahead and purchase wheel spacers. And a quick hitch and purchase Ken's extended top hook. Speeco makes one where you don't need bushings you can find on goodworkstractors.com. get Ken's bolt on hooks for bucket. If you got a mower deck, get load n go brackets. So much easier to clean deck and change blades.

·
Registered
2021 2038r MSL
41 Posts
My 2038r just got here today. I got the guards around the lights and guards around the extra lights on top of the flashers. The top guards were in the way of the pins to lower the ROPS so I had to remove the guards and turn the ROPS pins around so the come out toward the middle. Fun first hour with the tractor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
461 Posts
My 2038r just got here today. I got the guards around the lights and guards around the extra lights on top of the flashers. The top guards were in the way of the pins to lower the ROPS so I had to remove the guards and turn the ROPS pins around so the come out toward the middle. Fun first hour with the tractor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had the exact same issue, why they cant just build them with the pins the other way!

·
Premium Member
Tator
16,434 Posts
You might also want to make sure you have wrenches and sockets large enough to fit all bolts/nuts on the tractor and accessories.
Metric, a full set of metric sockets and wrenches.
And one of these:
Oil Filter Wrench
This one works well on filters of various size. I would also get a set of jack stands and a floor jack for those times you may need to take the rear tires off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
  • A BFH (convincing) hammer
  • Channel locks
  • Wrenches - including a 15/16 for top hook adjustment on the imatch (BTW - is there another option to make that a "quick change" rather than unbolting every time?)
  • Another vote for Ken's Bolt On Hooks - along with chain
  • Ear guards

·
Premium Member
Tator
16,434 Posts

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I agree on the metric sockets. I bought a 3/4 drive a few years ago too and should have bought one years ago.

Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great list so far thank you all.

Is there a "Go-To" grease y'all use as a one and done. The info I got from a TTWT episode seems like an Air Tec with G200 EP and MOS2 is good to go.

MOS2 seems to be a general purpose that I could get away with but G200 EP seems to be a better high speed grease.

I'm glad I set apart a tools and toys budget! :cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts